NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 Middle Relievers Thread

On 4/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, tucker26 said:

I probably would be worn thing on him too if l listened to such a podcast anymore or was invested in him previously as a SP. These SP/RPs have value in H2H solds leagues and there is usually a limited number of good ones to play in the SP slots. They said he would be high leverage since the spring and here he is. I think he's a looongshot for saves tho. Even if Romano and Dolis flutter Merryweather will be back and not sure he's ahead of Borducki. But he appears to be a trusted member of the late inning crew, even if early late inning. Until he gets hurt again, of course.

It was an epic podcast moment after this weekend's blown save against the Rays. Pitching for the 3rd straight day in the 9th, the stars had aligned and Chatwood earned his moment. Like Icarus, he flew too close to the sun. The Rays refuse to lose, and Chatwood's golden opportunity to seize the closer role went up in smoke. It was made worse by Bergen coming in next to walk in 3 straight batters, and the slew of trolling tweets, "told you so" and "seek therapy" lines were great. The ultimate payoff, what a twisted game fantasy baseball can be sometimes. 

• Haha 1

Word of a setback for Drew Pomeranz, so bump Craig Stammen to 2nd in line for saves there. He has been absolutely lights out this season with a 1.69 ERA/0.86 WHIP and 31ks in 26+ innings. This guy has been around for over 10 years and he's having a career renaissance. It's not a fluke either, he allowed a grand total of 3 HRs across 78 innings just a few years ago, and he's routinely turned in ERAs in the low 3s and solid WHIP numbers. Should be a solid source of Holds with some sneaky wins, since the Padres only have one starting pitcher capable of going 6 innings. As for Pomeranz, probably should be let go across the board.

-Pomeranz will be shut down for a week and then the Padres will reassess the situation. It sounds like it could be a relatively significant setback. The star reliever had a 1.98 ERA and 20 strikeouts in 13 2/3 innings before landing on the injured list May 9 with what was originally diagnosed as a left shoulder impingement.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Word of a setback for Drew Pomeranz, so bump Craig Stammen to 2nd in line for saves there. He has been absolutely lights out this season with a 1.69 ERA/0.86 WHIP and 31ks in 26+ innings. This guy has been around for over 10 years and he's having a career renaissance. It's not a fluke either, he allowed a grand total of 3 HRs across 78 innings just a few years ago, and he's routinely turned in ERAs in the low 3s and solid WHIP numbers. Should be a solid source of Holds with some sneaky wins, since the Padres only have one starting pitcher capable of going 6 innings. As for Pomeranz, probably should be let go across the board.

-Pomeranz will be shut down for a week and then the Padres will reassess the situation. It sounds like it could be a relatively significant setback. The star reliever had a 1.98 ERA and 20 strikeouts in 13 2/3 innings before landing on the injured list May 9 with what was originally diagnosed as a left shoulder impingement.

No doubt he’s had a good season  and gets a slight bump but Stammen seems to behind Pagan, Adams and possibly Hill for saves chances if something unforeseen happens Melacon. 

Edited by tucker26

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

No doubt he’s had a good season  and gets a slight bump but Stammen seems to behind Pagan, Adams and possibly Hill for saves chances if something unforeseen happens Melacon. 

Yeah I meant 2nd in line behind Pagan but forgot to mention. Meanwhile did you notice Shreve pitching the 8th for the Pirates instead of Bednar today? I was wondering if this might happen, quicker than anticipated, but we'll see what happens there going forward. Shreve is just as intriguing as Bednar as a replacement for Rich Rod as we've discussed.

Edited by Richard Kimble

24-year-old RP prospect DeMarcus Evans just got called up today and went 2 innings, 0 hits, 1 BB, 4 Ks against the Angels.  Looked really confident.  Should be a quick riser into high-leverage innings in that depleted Texas bullpen.  He’s enormous and just looks like a future closer to me.  I’d be looking to snag in dynasty leagues and deeper redrafts soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Von Hayes said:

24-year-old RP prospect DeMarcus Evans just got called up today and went 2 innings, 0 hits, 1 BB, 4 Ks against the Angels.  Looked really confident.  Should be a quick riser into high-leverage innings in that depleted Texas bullpen.  He’s enormous and just looks like a future closer to me.  I’d be looking to snag in dynasty leagues and deeper redrafts soon.

Thanks for the call out. I’ve read good things about him on Twitter too. Hopefully he lives up to the hype unlike JB Bukauskas

Not sure if he's been discussed in this thread, but J.P. Feyereisen is someone to keep an eye on. He was generating hold after hold for MIL until he hit a stretch of some pretty poor play. Recently dealt to the Rays for Willy Adams, he's already picked up a save in TB (Castillo had been resting, I think). Good chance this guy will work his way into a high-leverage situation with the team pretty quickly... If your league counts holds or is holds+saves he could be great.

• Thanks 2

On 5/26/2021 at 12:09 AM, tucker26 said:

I'm not sure what they are doing with Pagan. He has pitched only once since May 18. 

Dan Winkler pitched in the 8th yesterday for the Cubs, and his YTD numbers of 0.56/1.00 with 17ks across 16.1 innings are phenomenal. It is an embarrassment of riches in the Chicago pen right now, as they are all putting up ridiculous numbers behind Craig Kimbrel. It seems silly to hype these guys up when Kimbrel is locked into that closer role, but I do view him as a darkhorse candidate to be traded.

Despite being in the race ostensibly at the moment, the Cubs are going to be tearing down in some form at the trade deadline. Other than Bryant and Willson Contreras, Kimbrel is the likeliest trade candidate. So its something I'll be monitoring to see if there is any indication which way they go in such an eventuality. Frankly, any of them will be interesting, and if you're in a deeper SV+H league and any of the Cubs relievers are available, they are worth rostering for the ratios and possibility to become a closer after the deadline.

• Like 2

For my Saves Plus Holds truthers is their a website that updates their rankings of RPs for this category throughout the year? I tried Googling, but didn't have much luck. 

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

For my Saves Plus Holds truthers is their a website that updates their rankings of RPs for this category throughout the year? I tried Googling, but didn't have much luck. 

I did find this, but unfortunately it's behind a pay wall. 

https://theathletic.com/2611756/2021/05/25/reliever-roundup-saves-holds-rankings-breaking-down-the-blue-jays-stashing-kyle-zimmer-and-more/?article_source=search&search_query=saves holds

4 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

PITCHERSLIST has been doing it for years

All I'm seeing is a Holds ranking (not an updated one for Saves + Holds). What am I missing? 

https://www.pitcherlist.com/the-hold-up-5-27-ranking-the-top-90-relievers-for-holds-every-thursday/

Also, this list is horrendous. How can Dev. Williams possibly by the #2 reliever for holds? This is 2021 not 2020!

3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

All I'm seeing is a Holds ranking (not an updated one for Saves + Holds). What am I missing? 

https://www.pitcherlist.com/the-hold-up-5-27-ranking-the-top-90-relievers-for-holds-every-thursday/

Also, this list is horrendous. How can Dev. Williams possibly by the #2 reliever for holds? This is 2021 not 2020!

https://www.pitcherlist.com/top-100-relievers-for-savehold-leagues-5-28/

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 9:21 PM, Von Hayes said:

Picked up solely on your rec.

I will remember to credit the source appropriately. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Scott Barlow has been something else this season. ERA now down to 2.00 with 41 Strikeouts in 27 Innings. And logged another Hold today to make it 9 for the year.

Edited by Cheppy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2021 at 9:21 PM, Von Hayes said:

Picked up solely on your rec.

I will remember to credit the source appropriately. 

BX8e.gif

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 2

On 5/19/2021 at 7:27 PM, Richard Kimble said:

Another item to mention is that with 230, Tony Watson is now one hold behind Arthur Rhodes for a tie as the all-time leader in holds. He picked up a W in his last outing and thus far has a 10:1 K:BB ratio over his 13.2 innings to go with 2 Ws and 3 Holds. I'd expect to see more of Watson in the leverage spots as the season goes along, but expect to see him out there in the 7th inning for the Angels until he picks up the record. 

Two weeks later he still hasn't gotten that hold yet...c'mon Tony I can't keep hyping this up forever, go talk to the guy I call "The Real Sleepy Joe" and tell him to put you in there pronto!

On 5/27/2021 at 11:26 AM, Richard Kimble said:

Dan Winkler pitched in the 8th yesterday for the Cubs, and his YTD numbers of 0.56/1.00 with 17ks across 16.1 innings are phenomenal. It is an embarrassment of riches in the Chicago pen right now, as they are all putting up ridiculous numbers behind Craig Kimbrel. It seems silly to hype these guys up when Kimbrel is locked into that closer role, but I do view him as a darkhorse candidate to be traded.

Despite being in the race ostensibly at the moment, the Cubs are going to be tearing down in some form at the trade deadline. Other than Bryant and Willson Contreras, Kimbrel is the likeliest trade candidate. So its something I'll be monitoring to see if there is any indication which way they go in such an eventuality. Frankly, any of them will be interesting, and if you're in a deeper SV+H league and any of the Cubs relievers are available, they are worth rostering for the ratios and possibility to become a closer after the deadline.

The Cubs' pen is on another planet right now...single-handedly winning them ballgames. Although, I'm not sure if I would put Winkler next in line. Looking at it right now....

If you're in a SV+HLD league, this is how they stack out:

Andrew Chaffin: 14
Craig Kimbrel: 13
Ryan Tepera: 9
Rex Brothers: 7
Dan Winkler: 6
Tommy Nance: 3

I'll stop with the top 6. Fact of the matter is the Cubs bullpen is filled to the brim with guys handling holds and Kimbrel is still a likely trade candidate, even if the Cubs keep winning. I would say Tepera would be the guy to eyeball. He has handled save chances with Kimbrel unavailable, and I don't think they would want to move Chaffin from his current role.

But shoot. Cubs even have guys with zero holds/saves putting up big numbers (Dylan Maples, always had the talent, never could find the strike zone... 1.45 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 18,2IP, 27K). The pen is a goldmine.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, nlm said:

The Cubs' pen is on another planet right now...single-handedly winning them ballgames. Although, I'm not sure if I would put Winkler next in line. Looking at it right now....

If you're in a SV+HLD league, this is how they stack out:

Andrew Chaffin: 14
Craig Kimbrel: 13
Ryan Tepera: 9
Rex Brothers: 7
Dan Winkler: 6
Tommy Nance: 3

I'll stop with the top 6. Fact of the matter is the Cubs bullpen is filled to the brim with guys handling holds and Kimbrel is still a likely trade candidate, even if the Cubs keep winning. I would say Tepera would be the guy to eyeball. He has handled save chances with Kimbrel unavailable, and I don't think they would want to move Chaffin from his current role.

But shoot. Cubs even have guys with zero holds/saves putting up big numbers (Dylan Maples, always had the talent, never could find the strike zone... 1.45 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 18,2IP, 27K). The pen is a goldmine.

Spot on, I agree that Tepera would inherit the job if Kimbrel leaves/gets injured, but I think MLB holds leader Chafin is the guy to have in holds leagues. I was going to come on here and hash this out further but you summed it up perfectly. They recently had a stretch of 38 scoreless innings as a team, so they've turned it into a 6 inning game, which has taken pressure off the starters. Meanwhile opponents don't want to fall behind; I saw the Padres bunt Cronenworth down 2-0 early in the game with Machado on 1st and no out, which means they really don't want to try to score of the Cubs pen. I'm not a great fan of some of Ross' lineup decisions, but he also seems to be great at pushing the right buttons with the pitchers from the dugout. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Spot on, I agree that Tepera would inherit the job if Kimbrel leaves/gets injured, but I think MLB holds leader Chafin is the guy to have in holds leagues. I was going to come on here and hash this out further but you summed it up perfectly. They recently had a stretch of 38 scoreless innings as a team, so they've turned it into a 6 inning game, which has taken pressure off the starters. Meanwhile opponents don't want to fall behind; I saw the Padres bunt Cronenworth down 2-0 early in the game with Machado on 1st and no out, which means they really don't want to try to score of the Cubs pen. I'm not a great fan of some of Ross' lineup decisions, but he also seems to be great at pushing the right buttons with the pitchers from the dugout. 

Agreed about Chaffin. As far as hlds+sv goes, he's safe as can be and likely not going anywhere. I don't see his situation changing much, whereas Kimbrel and Tepera's could if a trade (or untimely injury) goes down. Chaffin feels like the safest bet for any leagues that count holds. I guess there's always a chance he faces an untimely injury too, but that can probably be said about 99% of the league this year.

But in general, it's insane how deep the pen is right now. I noticed that with Croenworth too. The Cubs are seriously playing some great baseball in the wake of a lot of injuries, and it has a ton to do with the bullpen. I agree with you regarding Ross.... the lineup can make me cringe at times, but he definitely has something with his pitchers.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 4:35 PM, Richard Kimble said:

Two weeks later he still hasn't gotten that hold yet...c'mon Tony I can't keep hyping this up forever, go talk to the guy I call "The Real Sleepy Joe" and tell him to put you in there pronto!

Tony Watson finally nailed down holds on back to back nights a few days ago, and is now the all-time Holds leader at 232 (and counting)

Ryan Tepera (Cubs) has 10 holds, above average K rate, and solid ratios. He had a rough start to the year has bounced back. Cubs have played in a ton of close games so the opportunities should be there. 

• Like 2