NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 Middle Relievers Thread

21 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Ryan Tepera (Cubs) has 10 holds, above average K rate, and solid ratios. He had a rough start to the year has bounced back. Cubs have played in a ton of close games so the opportunities should be there. 

The more I think about it, he's a must own in the deep leagues for his speculative chance to take the closer role. If the Cubs stay in contention (which I dunno they have a tough schedule ahead) the guy they can easily trade away without giving up on the season is Kimbrel. If not, he's also expendable. They have a plethora of options but Tepera has closed before briefly in Toronto, so he's a nice stash.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Ryan Tepera (Cubs) has 10 holds, above average K rate, and solid ratios. He had a rough start to the year has bounced back. Cubs have played in a ton of close games so the opportunities should be there. 

13 scoreless damn

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

The more I think about it, he's a must own in the deep leagues for his speculative chance to take the closer role. If the Cubs stay in contention (which I dunno they have a tough schedule ahead) the guy they can easily trade away without giving up on the season is Kimbrel. If not, he's also expendable. They have a plethora of options but Tepera has closed before briefly in Toronto, so he's a nice stash.

He's a definite stash. He saved 7 games with 19 holds for Toronto a few seasons ago, so he has experience. This has been a career year for him so far and as I may have already said in here, despite Chaffin leading the team in holds, I don't think he would be next in line based on the way he has thrived setting up. Tepera also handled a SV chance when Kimbrel was resting. So at this point if you can afford to add a MR and wait and see, or if you're in a hlds+sv league (run, don't walk) he's a definite pickup.

I love the entire pen... It's insane right now. Lots of value in there.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1

Brad Boxberger has been lights out recently and seeing heavy usage in the Brewers pen, throwing 7.1 scoreless innings with 8ks, a Win, 4 holds and a save the past 14 days. The save came in a 2-0 win in which Burnes pitched 7 innings and Devin Williams pitched the 8th, with Hader unavailable, and I kind of think Boxberger will be the guy they go to on days that Hader needs to rest. He's certainly filled in nicely for Feyereisen and seems to be back to full health after a couple of injury-plagued seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the entire pen... It's insane right now. Lots of value in there.

Not to fawn over them, but its hard not to love it. Take Rex Brothers-he was a guy who was out of the league for years, coming off injuries, and similar to Brandon Workman the year before, I just expected him to make the team and either be terrible or get hurt. The Cubs have signed this kind of low-cost vet for YEARS and not one of them has ever worked out like Brothers. 

Back to Tepera-he threw 2 dominant innings in the 7th and 8th before turning it over to Kimbrel. After the Cubs got an insurance run to make it 3-1, they sent him back out for the 8th, and he proceeded to get back to back Ks on 6 pitches. I started getting legit excited that he was going to throw the elusive "immaculate inning" and after pitch 7 whizzed by Machado, I was on my feet in the living room cheering it on. Was disappointed that he threw ball on pitch 8, but then he gets Manny to fly out on the next pitch. Filthy stuff.

On 5/19/2021 at 8:57 AM, tucker26 said:

Tommy Nance, RHP, Chicago Cubs
Level & Affiliate: MLB Age: 30 Org Rank: TBD  FV: 40+
Line: 1 IP, 1 K
Notes
Nance is another Indy Ball signee who had a velo spike during the off year (read about Max Bain here), but unlike Bain, whose affiliated career just began this year, he has had a longer runway. He signed out of the independent Frontier League early in 2016 and pitched in the middle levels of the Cubs’ system for nearly half a decade before showing way bigger velocity this year. He was 91–94 in 2019 but got up to 97–98 during his single-inning big league debut. Nance had three strong relief outings at Triple-A Iowa (combined: 6 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 10 K) before the call-up. There he was more 94–96 and topping out at 97, really only throwing his mid-80s power slurve apart from the fastball. His heater has big tailing action and is capable of running off the hips of lefty batters and back over the plate.

As I wrote regarding Julian Merryweather on the Blue Jays list, just because this guy is 30 doesn’t mean he’s not a prospect. He’s rookie-eligible, has roster flexibility, and is under team control the same as any young player. He’s also a pitcher who clearly has immediate big league bullpen utility. The likelihood of age-related decline during his year of team control does complicate where he falls on the FV scale, since I care about all six or seven of those years, but teams need to decide how they value a guy like this versus a more traditional prospect, so I will, too. Would you rather have Nance or Anderson Espinoza right now? Or Jay Groome? If either of those younger arms were to end up sitting 97-plus with an upper-80s hammer breaking ball out of the bullpen, we’d think it was a great outcome given what they have dealt with on the way there. Well, Nance is that right now.

Expand  

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/daily-prospect-notes-5-18-21/

2 scoreless and picked up his first career W today, and through his first 13 outings and 11.2 innings, his ERA is...Zero Point Zero GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2021 at 9:21 PM, Von Hayes said:

24-year-old RP prospect DeMarcus Evans just got called up today and went 2 innings, 0 hits, 1 BB, 4 Ks against the Angels.  Looked really confident.  Should be a quick riser into high-leverage innings in that depleted Texas bullpen.  He’s enormous and just looks like a future closer to me.  I’d be looking to snag in dynasty leagues and deeper redrafts soon.

On 5/30/2021 at 12:14 PM, Overlord said:

Picked up solely on your rec.

I will remember to credit the source appropriately. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117246d063c404469e2a

• Haha 5

Just in case the other owners are asleep at the wheel in your saves + holds leagues be sure to add Lugo and Britton if they're FAs. Both are recently back from injuries and should be the primary set up men in their respective pens. 

• Like 2

Reliever Jacob Barnes was acquired by the Toronto Blue Jays from the New York Mets on Saturday for pitching prospect Troy Miller. Barnes, 31, is 1-1 with two saves and a 6.27 ERA over 19 relief appearances this season. He has a 4.53 ERA over his six-year career. He was designated for assignment on Monday, a day after he gave up a tiebreaking grand slam to Fernando Tatis Jr. followed by a home run by Manny Machado in a 7-3 loss to San Diego.

Minor move here, but a confirmation that as expected, the Blue Jays will be seeking additional relief help prior to the deadline. Good to see its someone who won't challenge Romano, so they may be willing to roll with him if he keeps pitching well.

Going to second the Wisler nomination. Lights out K/BB, very good swstr%, getting high leverage and lots of usage with TB, and let's not ignore how TB gets the most out of their relievers / pitching staff performance wise. Many a reliever take it to the next level once going there.

• Like 1

Absolutely go pick up Wisler. Getting holds with elite numbers across the board (other than his ERA, which the other numbers show is a fluke). 

Also time to get back on Rasmussen. Dominated AAA since he was traded to the Rays and had 4K in 1.2ip when he was called up the other day. 

Man…Rays pitchers, man.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:28 AM, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Josh Taylor for the red Sox has really been pitching good this season. 

This one needs a bump

Seems to have moved up the chain and getting holds now

His overall numbers don't look great because he got blown up for 4 ER in one outing, but here are his numbers since April 24th:

1919323491_ScreenShot2021-06-26at12_56_46AM.png.692b6a764a2452e1a28106596a5f4924.png

And since May 15th:

538381494_ScreenShot2021-06-26at12_59_06AM.png.ab9f15cefd43977d2305543291a96dba.png

Edited by street sharks

Haven’t seen him mentioned here but Paul Sewald needs to be talked about. He’s on a nice run and should be the 8th inning guy moving forward. I see a lot of sites don’t even have him on the late-inning depth chart but recent usage definitely has him in front of Montero, Steckenrider, and Misiewicz. As for the stats, they’re eye-popping: 1.39 xFIP, 14.9 K/9. Haven’t watched many Mariners games this year so not sure what’s changed, but he’s 1% rostered on Yahoo and should be owned in all holds leagues. 

Edited by varock
  • Like 5

Time to take notice of Ryan Burr of the White Sox; he's back in the majors following TJS in 2020 and thus far has allowed a single basehit and 3 walks in 10.2 IP, and served as opener in his most recent outing. Still, I'd look to see him in some high leverage spots too as the Sox seek a consistent bridge to Hendriks. The other options out there (Heuer, Crochet, Marshall, Bummer, etc.) have all shown good K rates and a tendency towards blow ups. They still may seek more experienced help on the trade market, but Burr is a name to watch in the interim, as he could establish himself as that 8th inning guy on a very good team.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-ryan-burr-20210529-npoveyhqzjajzmsu2lc2mk2pry-story.html

• Like 2