NBC Sports Edge Forums

Assuming full health for him and Burrow and hopefully some upgrades to the Cincy's Oline and WR's, and I think Mixon is set up for a BIG 2021. He'll be just 25 and still well under 1,000 carries in his young career. He could come at a bit of a bargain too in FF drafts due to his injury shortened season in 2020. One bitten twice shy managers who owned him last season may look elsewhere.

Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said Joe Mixon (foot) is healthy and "feels really good right now." 

Mixon missed the final ten games of the 2020 season with a foot injury that never seemed to improve despite Taylor's assurances that the team wanted to bring back their starting back in the season's final weeks (and months). It seems he's over the lingering foot issue and will be a full go for offseason activities. Mixon was on pace for 70 targets with Joe Burrow under center -- a boost to his fantasy prospects should Burrow (knee) be able to play in 2021. 

Mar 10, 2021, 11:10 AM ET
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted about this last year for Mixon, and it's absolutely the truth. Here is Mixon's career ADP, RB rank from Weeks 1--13, and RB rank for the full season: Why that breakdown? Because the fa

As we dissect mixons upside and his downside.   As we debate over Sewell or ja'marr. As we debate if burrows will take the needed next step this offense needs him to. One thing sure stands out to me. 

Mixon is a underperformer or has been hurt  his whole career. Hes one of those backs that you thought you drafted at good value but then is as unreliable or inefficient as a gas guzzlin 60's ford with

Posted Images

I like the talent but owning him last year was a major headache. He started slow, started getting going, then got hurt. I’m going off memory, but at first it looked like he’d miss a month, then there was no timetable for a return, and he never ended up going back. We’ll see what Cincy does in the draft for their line. I highly, highly doubt it happens but if Sewell fell to them at 5, oh boy, that would be great for them. Having a healthy Burrow will help Mixon. Talent is there, his QB will be back, and he might get some line help. If he can stay healthy he should be really good but I’m not going to lie, I’m hesitant. 

5 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

I like the talent but owning him last year was a major headache. He started slow, started getting going, then got hurt. I’m going off memory, but at first it looked like he’d miss a month, then there was no timetable for a return, and he never ended up going back. We’ll see what Cincy does in the draft for their line. I highly, highly doubt it happens but if Sewell fell to them at 5, oh boy, that would be great for them. Having a healthy Burrow will help Mixon. Talent is there, his QB will be back, and he might get some line help. If he can stay healthy he should be really good but I’m not going to lie, I’m hesitant. 

Yup. I totally get it, and that was exactly the point I was trying to make. His 2020 owners are going to be very hesitant.

If Cincy bolsters their Oline, adds another young up 'n coming WR, and Burrow makes a full recovery, I'm quite bullish on Mixon in 2021. Assuming he can be had at a bit of a discount of course. 

I always seem to waver on Mixon but over the last couple of years I've (mostly, depending on the tide) felt that he was overpriced.   If you look at his 2nd half of 2019 and his limited 2020, that's not bad production I guess.  Perhaps now the price will actually be right on him next season now that plenty will scare off.   

5 hours ago, BrianM said:

I always seem to waver on Mixon but over the last couple of years I've (mostly, depending on the tide) felt that he was overpriced.   If you look at his 2nd half of 2019 and his limited 2020, that's not bad production I guess.  Perhaps now the price will actually be right on him next season now that plenty will scare off.   

We'll what price are you insinuating here?  I personally don't see him getting out of the 3rd round in ppr drafts.

13 hours ago, The G Man said:

If Cincy bolsters their Oline, adds another young up 'n coming WR

Or a TE. Imagine what they could do to the line with Penei Sewell and a decent blocking TE, and how much it would benefit both Burrows and Mixon.

The draft is going to be key here, together with free agency. One thing to note is that also have quite a decent amount of cap space, and there are some very tasty free agents on the market right now.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

We'll what price are you insinuating here?  I personally don't see him getting out of the 3rd round in ppr drafts.

Just after the top 25 was what I was thinking , without diving into who I like better, etc.  He should stay in the third at least for usage alone, but that's not scary at all as opposed to late 1st/early 2nd which was the past two seasons.   

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Under the radar, but the Riley Reiff signing is a big step in the right direction for Mixon. Add Sewell at 5 and we're Mixon up the medicine baby

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Bernard leaving just barely moves the needle for me. Still a crappy team and an unreliable player. There's a range where I'd draft him, but you know he'll be overdrafted.

If there's no discount, there's no reason to draft him.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Evincar said:

If there's no discount, there's no reason to draft him.

Exactly. And, he should come at some kind of a discount this year, at least in comparison to last year. I would think.

And, the thing with Gio potentially being traded, well that could be good or it could be bad. We'll have to wait and see. 

On 3/12/2021 at 3:55 AM, SyNdicateZ said:

Ill give him 4 games before getting injured.

Posts like these about RBs are the biggest indicators of where to find discounts.

Approximately 100% of RBs get hurt in the NFL. That this guy got hurt playing RB in the NFL is not relevant to fantasy discussions.

If you don't like Mixon for other reasons, fine. But if you're staying away because he got hurt last year, you're being foolish. 

Edited by ajs723
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Exactly. And, he should come at some kind of a discount this year, at least in comparison to last year. I would think.

And, the thing with Gio potentially being traded, well that could be good or it could be bad. We'll have to wait and see. 

It’s more likely to be good, though - unless they drafted an elite receiving back, it would demonstrate confidence in Mixon’s ability to continue shouldering an every-down role.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Posts like these about RBs are the biggest indicators of where to find discounts.

Approximately 100% of RBs get hurt in the NFL. That this guy got hurt playing RB in the NFL is not relevant to fantasy discussions.

If you don't like Mixon for other reasons, fine. But if you're staying away because he got hurt last year, you're being foolish. 

Hes been hurt like his whole career.  

3 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Hes been hurt like his whole career.  

Who, Dalvin Cook in 2019? Aaron Jones in 2018? Fournette? Etc. Etc. 

Just because a guy battles injuries early in his career, it doesn't mean he will always be hurt. All these guys get hurt. Mixon is not old enough to worry about him being broken down. 

The scary thing about Mixon is how much his efficiency dropped last year even though he was becoming more involved in the passing game.

When Gurley and Zeke both started getting their long-awaited targets you also saw their YPC jump from the previous year as they became less one dimensional. His Yards Created (yards accounted for by him rather than the line) fell over 12 yards per game last year despite his % of runs against stacked fronts fell from 18 to 13%.

Yes their line stunk, but it's always stunk. Long story short you'd have expected Mixon's efficiency to go up last year all things equal and it actually fell significantly. So if you're a value-based drafter you should either be expecting a huge discount on Mixon based on injury + inefficiency or you need to convince yourself that his game is likely to bounce back and become more consistent this year. 

I think there will always be someone in my league who's more optimistic about him than me. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Who, Dalvin Cook in 2019? Aaron Jones in 2018? Fournette? Etc. Etc. 

Just because a guy battles injuries early in his career, it doesn't mean he will always be hurt. All these guys get hurt. Mixon is not old enough to worry about him being broken down. 

Mixon is a underperformer or has been hurt  his whole career. Hes one of those backs that you thought you drafted at good value but then is as unreliable or inefficient as a gas guzzlin 60's ford with squared wheels.

• Like 3

Not a mixon owner.  Not a guy who will sit here and blow the horn shouting his praises.   I will say that he is only 24 years old and outside of last year he missed only 4 games in 3 seasons....hardly this always hurt guy people are claiming him to be....am I missing something?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Farfromhome said:

Not a mixon owner.  Not a guy who will sit here and blow the horn shouting his praises.   I will say that he is only 24 years old and outside of last year he missed only 4 games in 3 seasons....hardly this always hurt guy people are claiming him to be....am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. Not every RB can be an Ironman like Saquon, CMC, Cook, etc.

• Haha 1