NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Damien Harris 2021 Outlook

Eh, it's not good, but not hopeless.   If White and Burkhead leave, there's only Sony in the way, and Harris might actually catch a pass now and then.   NE also still could very well draft a QB. Cam is only making 5 mil outside incentives, that's easy to bench for the future, especiallly if they start slow.   

1 minute ago, BrianM said:

Eh, it's not good, but not hopeless.   If White and Burkhead leave, there's only Sony in the way, and Harris might actually catch a pass now and then.   NE also still could very well draft a QB. Cam is only making 5 mil outside incentives, that's easy to bench for the future, especiallly if they start slow.   

Cam is a placeholder. If they draft a QB Cam may be a backup after a few games. They still have plenty more cap room to go after a bigger starter. 

11 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

"Cam is a placeholder. If they draft a QB Cam may be a backup after a few games. They still have plenty more cap room to go after a bigger starter." 

They might & I would've guessed otherwise, but it appears Cam is the veteran QB they're going to roll with. I do agree his role will be that of holding down the fort. This team had the most opt-outs, several along the OL, a unit that didn't do as well. They've brought back LT Trent Brown & Andrews is a guy I think they resign. I think it's a good bet they shore up this unit & they're in a position to really add. A featured WR with size & a catch radius, they've got to have.

Those factors would lend themselves to Harris greatly. Not a home run hitter, doesn't possess that quick-twitch elusiveness, but neither are weaknesses, along with very good ball skills. In redraft you'll be choosing between him & a down & distance guy. To me, that's a no-brainer. Zack Moss is another one you'll be able to get in the back. Loved both these guys last year & neither broke big. Considering their price, I like them both again.   

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very talented runner with a good production profile at a top school in college

I'm more bothered by re-signing White. Would have liked to see Harris catch some passes

Edited by mocha4313

7 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Very talented runner with a good production profile at a top school in college

I'm more bothered by re-signing White. Would have liked to see Harris catch some passes

The Cam re-signing bothers me way more than White. 

51 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

im not sold on this. 

damien is pretty good at football

problem lies not within the chap's talent, Cleetz ... it lies within the skullduggery of the Cam gl package 📦

not to mention we've seen the Gnu poach a couple/few tuggs from King Hendry ... he's no stranger to goal line totes. 

it's a longshot, but i'll plunk if offered on a prop slate ... wouldn't be the worst wager i've ever made, i assure you 🦇

• Like 1

He's the only Pats player I'm looking to draft. Good value pick and I think Cam ends up running less this season (or just gets benched permanently after a few weeks if he still looks bad.)

I wouldn’t touch him in a PPR league, no matter the QB.  But I don’t see why Cam would suddenly stop doing the one thing he knows he can do well: run, especially at the stripe.

On 4/3/2021 at 5:22 PM, BMcP said:

"I wouldn’t touch him in a PPR league, no matter the QB.  But I don’t see why Cam would suddenly stop doing the one thing he knows he can do well: run, especially at the stripe."

I agree that Cam still has decent mobility, for a QB. Personally, I view much of his success down near the goal the result of plays being poorly defended. They're often just walk-ins, unless the defense keys on him. He's still big & strong, more than capable of pushing the pile on a 1-yard keeper or leaping over the line & extending the ball over the goal. Although, I want to say that reportedly Belichick is opposed to his players doing that. They either get the offense in the right play or he does, they have to get that back. If not, I agree w/Sektor, Cam gets benched. We know the Niners are done with Garoppolo, a player they gave up a 2nd rd pick for. He isn't worth much more than that. After the draft, if they have their QB, I think a move here becomes a real possibility.   

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

A bargain at current ADP? At least in non-ppr, I think he is. Sure seems like Sony is getting cut. That leaves a Blount-ian rookie and a (quickly) fading james white as damiens only real competition for touches in the NE backfield. 

Kid definitely showed some real playmaking ability last year and might have had a better opportunity to establish himself in the offense if not for an early season injury. 

Naturally there are warts here. After all, we are talking about the RB35 in fantasy pros consensus. Don't love the cam GL factor, harris has never caught the ball, etc. But cam may not be long for the job with Mac in town and harris CAN catch. He just hasn't in the NFL...yet. He may never, but even if not, that's already baked into his ADP. An uptick in receiving actually wouldn't surprise me at all. 

That said, I am just a humble casual fantasy player. So Im curious what the RW forums think on this guy.  Love him where he's going and I'm very exposed to harris in all my early best balls.....what's not to like here? Am I missing something?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

A bargain at current ADP? At least in non-ppr, I think he is. Sure seems like Sony is getting cut. That leaves a Blount-ian rookie and a (quickly) fading james white as damiens only real competition for touches in the NE backfield. 

Kid definitely showed some real playmaking ability last year and might have had a better opportunity to establish himself in the offense if not for an early season injury. 

Naturally there are warts here. After all, we are talking about the RB35 in fantasy pros consensus. Don't love the cam GL factor, harris has never caught the ball, etc. But cam may not be long for the job with Mac in town and harris CAN catch. He just hasn't in the NFL...yet. He may never, but even if not, that's already baked into his ADP. An uptick in receiving actually wouldn't surprise me at all. 

That said, I am just a humble casual fantasy player. So Im curious what the RW forums think on this guy.  Love him where he's going and I'm very exposed to harris in all my early best balls.....what's not to like here? Am I missing something?

im not in NE and I don’t know the internal dynamics of the Patriots but it sure seems like the coaches don’t like Damien. Idk if he has had issues with them or not but he didn’t play at all as a rookie, Sony Michel did and Rhamondre Stevenson will too. He barely played as a 2nd year player, in his 3rd year coming up they drafted another RB that they will no doubt deploy as a rookie. The backfield seems like a mess but what I gather the most is that NE doesn’t seem to value Harris all that much.

• 2 weeks later...

I love his talent and how he's looked in games when he's gotten touches--he looks fast and decisive. I HATE having to try to guess which way BB is going to go with an offensive scheme and personnel usage. More often than not I've lost that game. I could see him being the steal of the draft and I could also see myself dropping him midseason after he has yet another 5 touch game. I'm not sure there's many other players with as wide of a distance between their floor and their ceiling. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yossarian said:

I love his talent and how he's looked in games when he's gotten touches--he looks fast and decisive. I HATE having to try to guess which way BB is going to go with an offensive scheme and personnel usage. More often than not I've lost that game. I could see him being the steal of the draft and I could also see myself dropping him midseason after he has yet another 5 touch game. I'm not sure there's many other players with as wide of a distance between their floor and their ceiling. 

I'm hoping he's more Cory dillon this year

Burkhead's departure will certainly open up some goal line work as the Pats loved him in the red zone and Sony is the JAG of all JAGs. The door should be wide open for Harris to lead the team in carries by a wide margin.

Please for the love of all that is holy throw this kid the football every now and then. The offense was sooo predictable last season when he was on the field, and he still averaged 5 yds a pop (2nd in yards per attempt to Derrick Henry for players with over 100 totes). 

His underlying stats are mind bottling.

BB has been committed to useage with RBs before in Corey Dillon and LaGarrette Blount. Not sure why he is so hesitant to lean on Damien Harris. 

If they do Rhamondre Stevenson like they did Harris as a rookie then Stevenson will get a handful of touches his rookie year, which I doubt happens.