NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Damien Harris 2021 Outlook

1 hour ago, ThunderDan said:

"... Newton was so bad last year that Belichick was putting Stidham in out of sheer desperation at points during last season. I legitimately think Harris could be the focal point of the Pats offense. ... I don't understand why he's so low..."

Cam recently said that he was used to opting out of bad plays and that it was difficult to adjust to running what was sent in. So, we may deduce that some of those over-defended goal line stuffs weren't really on him. Why he wouldn't have been afforded some latitude, especially on the goal line is perplexing.

But if he did do well with the cards dealt him why did he let him them low-ball him? I've read they're on the hook for $3.5M, which is a slap in the face. Where was the more reasonable offer to play elsewhere? Hard to believe that Mac Jones was the best available player when they selected him. Could be wrong but it had to have meant addressing their most glaring need. Totally agree, all available resources will go into getting Jones up to speed.

5 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

I’ve never argued on who was a better fantasy option. You incorrectly assumed Damien Harris played better because he got close to the same amount of yards in less games than Gus. Which is a the poorest argument to evaluate how effective a player was. I have only tried to show you that they both performed almost equally when given their opportunities. But you keep coming back with weird middle school arguments.. once again I have never made a pitch for who is the better fantasy option this year only pointed out that he and Gus Edwards have performed on the same level. Gus is going way way cheaper and will likely be ina  better offense with more TDs but Harris will likely be used more like a lead back.. do with that info what you want. 

However saying Harris is better cuss he got 700 yards in 10 games and it took 16 games for Gus to get 800 yards means that you take 0 context into the season, game plans, injuries, coaching, anything at all. its like saying it took miles sanders 11 games to get 1050 yards and it took Johnathon Taylor 15 to get 1350 so miles sanders must be better right? 

Yeah you really need to go back and read what you were responding to. You had quoted me in response to someone that said Gus will have as good and better a season than Harris even as a backup and can be drafted later. None of this was about equal touch effectiveness. 

Damien Harris was far more productive on a per game basis, because he's just as effective and has greater opportunity at which is what matters for fantasy purposes. He has a clearer path to playing time this year, as he is reported lead back, while Gus Bus is clear backup.

This entire conversation is about 2021 fantasy outlook. Opportunity for RBs is a key factor to that. It doesn't matter what they would hypothetically be on each others teams, it matters where they play this year and what they produce.

Harris is the better back for fantasy, without question, and that's what the thread is about, 2021 fantasy outlook. Maybe if Dobbins went down like Akers just did the conversation would change, but that hasn't happened.

Edited by StevieStats

25 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Yeah you really need to go back and read what you were responding to. You had quoted me in response to someone that said Gus will have as good and better a season than Harris even as a backup and can be drafted later. None of this was about equal touch effectiveness. 

Damien Harris was far more productive on a per game basis, because he's just as effective and has greater opportunity at which is what matters for fantasy purposes. He has a clearer path to playing time this year, as he is reported lead back, while Gus Bus is clear backup.

This entire conversation is about 2021 fantasy outlook. Opportunity for RBs is a key factor to that. It doesn't matter what they would hypothetically be on each others teams, it matters where they play this year and what they produce.

Harris is the better back for fantasy, without question, and that's what the thread is about, 2021 fantasy outlook. Maybe if Dobbins went down like Akers just did the conversation would change, but that hasn't happened.

Ok buddy let’s just draw up our prior conversation to a miscommunication.

I agree Harris as a lead back should have more fantasy value 

20 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

So according to your own rule #1, you should draft Harris?  Stevenson on the NFI list certainly doesn't HURT the outlook for Harris...

I guess I should not have even said that.  Unless he is my rb6 I won't draft him.  And the odds of him being anyone's rb6 is pretty low.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Rule number one in fantasy. Don't be the guy that drafts a NE running back.  Unless he drops and a great value. Personally I won't draft anyone from the their back field.  

Burkhead is gone. Thats why I love Harris this year. 

• Like 2

It was annoying watching Burkhead come in the game once the Pats reached the redzone and or goaline. FINALLY...hes gone and Harris is that guy as he should be. 

• Like 2

Many people think NE RB's aren't worth drafting because of their history under Belichick.

Fun fact: prior to last season's complete mess of a season, they had four straight seasons with a PPR RB1 or RB2:

2016 Blount #9 RB
2017 D.Lewis #15 RB
2018 J.White #7 RB
2019 J.White #18 RB

Considering the usual low draft cost for NE RB's, maybe they aren't such a bad value (if you pick the right one in a given season). As of the moment, I see Harris as the #29 RB in drafts so far this year. I think Harris will smash that. I don't think he'll be a RB1, but think he can be a solid RB2. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 7/27/2021 at 12:52 PM, Corleone said:

Many people think NE RB's aren't worth drafting because of their history under Belichick.

Fun fact: prior to last season's complete mess of a season, they had four straight seasons with a PPR RB1 or RB2:

2016 Blount #9 RB
2017 D.Lewis #15 RB
2018 J.White #7 RB
2019 J.White #18 RB

Considering the usual low draft cost for NE RB's, maybe they aren't such a bad value (if you pick the right one in a given season). As of the moment, I see Harris as the #29 RB in drafts so far this year. I think Harris will smash that. I don't think he'll be a RB1, but think he can be a solid RB2. 

Agree great value at 29, though still July.  Found this interesting esp the quote from belichick.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/07/29/bill-belichick-patriots-rb-damien-harris-stayed-in-foxboro-all-year-worked-as-hard-as-anyone/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, Dylanfan66 said:

Rule number one in fantasy. Don't be the guy that drafts a NE running back.  Unless he drops and a great value. Personally I won't draft anyone from the their back field.  

He's a great value.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been drafting this kid in every league I can get my hands on, such a no brainer in round 6-7 as he is going to outperform is draft spot. I can see him handling anywhere between 170-200 touches this season, they will want to run the ball more than ever in their 2 TE sets, they are going to phase Michel out. Once Cam gets replaced by week 4, we are going to see Damian hit paydirt more often compared to last season. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Leopard said:

I've been drafting this kid in every league I can get my hands on, such a no brainer in round 6-7 as he is going to outperform is draft spot. I can see him handling anywhere between 170-200 touches this season, they will want to run the ball more than ever in their 2 TE sets, they are going to phase Michel out. Once Cam gets replaced by week 4, we are going to see Damian hit paydirt more often compared to last season. 

Good luck.

The pats will be running the ball with much more efficiently than last year. Why? The O line is top notch and improved and they have better Tight ends and WR options. Teams cant just "stack the box" as much as last year. Cam seems better as well and a better grasp on the system compared to last year. Im very high on Harris and believehe will outperform his adp....oh.....and I need to again add that......BURKHEAD is gone. Burkhead was a major thorn to Harris. Burkhead would come in on Every redzone and goalline oppurtunity it seemed last year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomei7 said:

Anyone that drafts a NE RB should quit fantasy football all together..…plain and simple 

I doubt anyone really regretted drafting 2012 Ridley, 2016 Blount, or 2018 Sony at their ADPs. Drafting NE RBs to be your RB1 or 2 is probably not a great idea though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tomei7 said:

Anyone that drafts a NE RB should quit fantasy football all together..…plain and simple 

With all due respect (because I do respect your contributions to the forum), this is an utterly ridiculous statement. So many act as if NE has never had good fantasy options at RB. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I doubt anyone really regretted drafting 2012 Ridley, 2016 Blount, or 2018 Sony at their ADPs. Drafting NE RBs to be your RB1 or 2 is probably not a great idea though.

This takes me back to that time when I drafted Mike Gillislee in 2017, and in his first game he scored 3 TDs.  He proceeded to have a very crappy season.  What a disappointment that was.

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

With all due respect (because I do respect your contributions to the forum), this is an utterly ridiculous statement. So many act as if NE has never had good fantasy options at RB. 

For a RB1, RB2, and maybe even RB3 IMO they haven’t and it’s always been more of a committee or whatever Bill decides to throw off the opponent’s defensive scheme. So many times I’ve seen him go total opposite of what everyone was thinking as far as touches go. At best a NE RB for my RB 4 or 5, thats my approach every year. Btw I was being sarcastic with my comment.

Edited by Tomei7
  • Like 1

I like Harris a lot and need him to have a good season for me. He's looked fast and decisive when he's gotten touches. He just looks GOOD when he runs with the ball. That being said I think we're all experienced enough to acknowledge that very rarely are we ever correct about what BB is going to do with his RBs. It can often be a crapshoot and I don't enjoy being in a position where I have to try to read the BB tea leaves to try to figure out if Harris has season long value or if he's going to be productive and get touches on any given week. 

spacer.png

Edited by yossarian
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Leopard said:

"... in round 6-7 he is going to outperform his draft spot. I can see him handling anywhere between 170-200 touches this season... " 

We may want to consider whether last year was a ceiling of sorts. Cam down near the goal, the others, the offense regressing, the injuries & opt-outs, Harris still amassed over 140 touches in 10 games. To me, he's proven his ability & that he'll willing to do whatever it takes to better ready himself. This team has added & committed to running the football. 

Like the QB, the more looks at the defense a ballcarrier gets, the better he sees what they're doing & how to beat them. Swapping guys out just for the sake of it, what is that? Some don't want to turn the light on for fear of seeing, I guess. I could only wish staying away from Patriot players would shield me from being subject to goofy, inexplicable nonsense.    

Edited by markrc99

I can see a lot of 15carries 60 yd games for him this year with an occasional TD here and there. 

Those TD games will come when he is sitting on your bench. 

Maybe provide rb3 numbers at the end of the year but he will be frustrating to own. 

• Like 1