NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Draft Strategy for my keeper help?

Please help me with my first few picks strategy!  I tried to make it understandable and simple enough!  It's good to get some outside advice so I don't get tunnel vision on this.  

H2H categories 6x5 (R,RBI,HR,SB,AVG,OPS - W,SV,K,ERA,WHIP)  C, 1, 2, ss, 3, 3 OF, 2 Util, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P, 6 BN   Keepers:  Acuna, Soto, Bichette, Rendon, deGrom, Bauer

I have odd numbered draft picks and am looking for help of who to target in the top 32 picks.  After that I wait 25 spots for my next choice, so keeping it hopefully simple.

Picks:  2, 9, 12, 31, 32 (aka 62, 69, 72, 91, 92)

Top 40 available in Yahoo ADP order (draft board drafters will see):  

21. Giolito, 32.  Robert, 34.  S Marte,  38.  Woodruff,  41.  C Seagar, 43. T. Anderson, 46.  K Tucker,  51.  Arozerena,  55.  E Suarez,  57.  Voit,  59.  Gallen,  60.  Maeda,  62.  Burnes,  64.  Rizzo,  66.  Castellanos,  68.  Liam Hendricks, 69. Cruz, 71.  Lynn, 73.  K Marte, 74. Conforto, 75.  Carassco, 76.  T Hernandez, 77. Gray, 78. Altuve, 81. Blackmon, 82. Stanton, 83.  Hendricks, 85. Berrios, 86. Meadows, 87. Greinke, 88. M. Olson, 89. Karinchak, 90. K Bryant, 91.  Ryu, 92. E Diaz, 93.  S Perez, 94. B. Lowe, 95. Biggio, 96. Wheeler, 97. Myers, 98. Pham, 99. Bundy, 100. Musgrove, 101. Luzardo, 102. E Rosario, 103. R. Iglesias, 104. Lamet, 105. Gurriel Jr.

*BOLD = P

What strategy would you use for these picks?  

My 2 cents, and from experience, don't plan like this. Any draft I've ever done where I've set strict guidelines or pigeonholed my picks have been disastrous.   You'll likely soon find yourself panicking when things inevitably won't work out.  You'll end up reaching for players to make your plan fit and grabbing guys in lower tiers to compensate when it doesn't.  Plan for sure, but the 2 things that seem to apply to any draft is "prepare and trust your board" and "take what the draft gives you."

5 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

My 2 cents, and from experience, don't plan like this. Any draft I've ever done where I've set strict guidelines or pigeonholed my picks have been disastrous.   You'll likely soon find yourself panicking when things inevitably won't work out.  You'll end up reaching for players to make your plan fit and grabbing guys in lower tiers to compensate when it doesn't.  Plan for sure, but the 2 things that seem to apply to any draft is "prepare and trust your board" and "take what the draft gives you."

I understand the thought.  With about 40 players there and me getting 3 picks in the top 12 I thought people could estimate who would be there and what they would do in my shoes.  I have thought on it enough.  Looking for fresh persective.  I know it probably won't work out exactly like I plan though, but why plan any draft if you don't know who will be there?  

4 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Toss back you're last two players & keep Robert plus Suarez in those spots. After you do that, then only get all offensive players with the rest of you're picks. 

I was thinking I'd throw back Acuna and Soto and move a Mt. for someone else...sound good?

• Haha 1