NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cody Bellinger 2021 Outlook

On 6/26/2021 at 1:41 PM, mevins31 said:

He doesn’t care. Said it in march. He is young, rich, woke, dating an IG model. Landing endorsements. He’s won an mvp and a ring. There’s no Room For pride. That’s just a 2021 athlete, in defense of bellinger 

Ohhhh, so that's what that nonsense is about!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

Ohhhh, so that's what that nonsense is about!

On 3/15/2021 at 10:19 PM, mevins31 said:

This is an important point. As my friends says “there just no struggle in his eyes.” And that perhaps is something you can’t measure 

This may surprise you…but this quote isn’t about Bellinger. A different player (guess which one!) from earlier this year. 

Shotgun this accusation enough and maybe you’ll be right once! 

Or not. Since it’s pure defamatory speculation. 

• Haha 1

Since he returned from the DL on June 23rd, there are only two qualified hitters with a worse wRC+ than Bellinger(181 players). Juan Lagares has been twice as productive as Bellinger during that time frame. With Seager due back this week, it wouldn't shock me if he starts losing playing time. How gold does his glove have to be, to tolerate a sub .500 OPS?

Edited by mavsfan23
  • Like 2

They need to have an obligatory clause in all of these player contracts stating that if they are sent down to minors for gettin their **** together, they lose their salary or something. This way they can just demote this dud.

Yes, I'm a salty owner.

I haven’t watched a ton of his ABs (I have some self-respect), but he is completely incapable of hitting high fastballs. Like the ball is on the way back to the pitcher when he’s swinging. We’re past the “it must be the previous injuries” phase. Something is way off with pitch recognition, mechanics, etc.

6 minutes ago, B&F said:

Maybe the league just figured this guy out.

He has been around long enough that I doubt it. I'm guessing pitchers have tried high fastballs before. I think the issue is with Bellinger, whether it be screwed-up mechanics or something in his head. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

I haven’t watched a ton of his ABs (I have some self-respect), but he is completely incapable of hitting high fastballs. Like the ball is on the way back to the pitcher when he’s swinging. We’re past the “it must be the previous injuries” phase. Something is way off with pitch recognition, mechanics, etc.

Right now he's incapable of hitting ANY fastballs.  Go watch the second AB vs Gausman last night.  Gausman missed his spot with 2-3 FBs and left them straight down the middle.  I get you're not going hit every mistake over the fence, but he's off.  Surely it's something mechanical/psychological because I remember the hole in his swing was the high FB but right now he just can't square the ball up at all.

10 hours ago, B&F said:

Maybe the league just figured this guy out.

YES!  That's what happened.  Damn those previous 1,600-1,800 prior MLB at-bats where he was one of the best hitters in the game.

Orrr maybe just maybe - a very talented hitter is struggling to find his timing coming off of multiple injuries. Yes - it absolutely blows for us fantasy owners but you have to go off of the much larger sample size of his previous MLB career.

spacer.png  

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, collucho said:

Was just offered this guy in a trade which forced me to look at his stats for the first time this year. Holy bad. What the hell happened to this guy?

Ripped up his shoulder in the playoffs last year (celebrating of all things)...it is zapping his bat speed/power.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 7:56 PM, mcbane said:

On 3/15/2021 at 10:19 PM, mevins31 said:

This is an important point. As my friends says “there just no struggle in his eyes.” And that perhaps is something you can’t measure 

This may surprise you…but this quote isn’t about Bellinger. A different player (guess which one!) from earlier this year. 

Shotgun this accusation enough and maybe you’ll be right once! 

Or not. Since it’s pure defamatory speculation. 

I nailed it, for sure it had to be from the Vlad Jr. thread. What do I win?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

I nailed it, for sure it had to be from the Vlad Jr. thread. What do I win?

You win!…

The satisfaction of being right about this and Yermin. You can see the future!

if that future involves men with two arms…

• Haha 2

Anyone know where we can bet on Bellinger to NOT get a hit on a nightly basis? I'd assume we'd be getting good odds based on his name alone. I'd imagine somewhere in the ballpark of +150/+175. 

I wanted to post a GIF of someone practicing voodoo and/or cursing someone to indicate the spell on Bellinger has been lifted and today's the day he turns it around but I cant seem to figure out how to post a gif. They keep pasting as links instead of actual gifs. Smh. 

• Haha 1

Is he still hurt? His numbers on hard hit rate and line drive are down significantly compared to other years. Seems to be hitting soft as baby poop fly balls with 11 percent increase in strike out rate. Seems like they should send him to the alternate site and mentally get right and go back to the fundamentals. 16.1 million for a dude hitting .152 is atrocious.

I'm not sure how that helps. In a redraft, if you really want him out of the lineup that bad, it may be time to cut him. In a keeper, wouldn't you want to see if he can show some signs of figuring things out before the end of the season?

On 7/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Ripped up his shoulder in the playoffs last year (celebrating of all things)...it is zapping his bat speed/power.

This. As a dynasty owner I’m frustrated but also optimistic for coming years. Off-season shoulder surgeries notoriously have this effect. 

• Like 1