NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tony Bradley 2020-2021 Outlook

4 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

Why you are so passionate about Bradley.

I can’t speak for anybody else, but the Tony Bradley/Moses Brown controversy is really very important. It has revealed the great philosophical split between the basketball-materialists and the basketball-idealists. Some forum-posters think they’re Billy Beane and can just make up their fantasy team out of numbers and projections and modelling and all kinds of arcane and preposterous speculative fiction which today is called “analytics”, without ever watching basketball. They think they need only adhere to arbitrary rules (young player + minutes = good stats for my fantasy basketball team) which they pick up from hack Roto-pundit scribblings and gibberings in their automated robot-to-text columns and pod-shows. The staff at Rotoworld are probably artificial human holograms with very crude and simple AI-brains capable only of generating hack projections based on numbers and text beamed into their heads directly from Twitter.  

This is a mistake, and certain forum-posters have tried very helpfully to bring this error of thinking into the light, to show its erroneousness, and to demonstrate the correct way to participate fantasy basketball discussion, to the benefit of everyone. It’s not some minor issue that people are obsessing over for no good reason.

A selection of sage remarks from the early pages of the Moses Brown thread:

“My first time watching him today.  I was not impressed. He looks very raw to me.  I think he could be a foul magnet.  I thought the referees could have called him on multiple moving screens in addition.”

“His G league clips didn't look too impressive.”

Notice words like “watching” and “looks”. These people are materialists with a correct orientation. Their minds are clear and they know to base their ideas on observable things that occur in reality. Contrast with this gibberish:

“This is a prime breakout situation. Any flashes of potential will result in PT.”

“My logic to pick him up was simple - he’s on a s*** team and numbers can be inflated. Doesn’t need many minutes to produce...”

These are empty parrot-phrases, meaningless mantras based on nothing, Roto-pundit shorthand, shortcuts, mindless fake rules for people who, if they could, would hire a slave to run their fantasy teams for them, or a computer programme.

It to the advantage of everyone that the basketball-idealists be exposed, that their thought-confusions be understood and avoided, and that people begin to watch basketball games with their eyes, to perceive and pierce through the blanket of lies that has been woven around Moses Brown, so that in future I can log onto this forum and read good posts from informed people and not a bunch of auto-generated cartoon character ravings by mind-infected Roto-hype men.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can’t speak for anybody else, but the Tony Bradley/Moses Brown controversy is really very important. It has revealed the great philosophical split between the basketball-materialists and the basketb

Ah yes, more Rotoworld forum-wisdome. Teams don’t actually want to play their players, because—what if they’re good?! If a player turns out to be good, that’s bad, because then you have to pay them. T

Probably the most common lament in fantasy bball. “If only he got the playing time” can lead a lot of managers to carry non-contributors while better opportunities pass them by.

42 minutes ago, Roughneck Jiharden said:

I can’t speak for anybody else, but the Tony Bradley/Moses Brown controversy is really very important. It has revealed the great philosophical split between the basketball-materialists and the basketball-idealists. Some forum-posters think they’re Billy Beane and can just make up their fantasy team out of numbers and projections and modelling and all kinds of arcane and preposterous speculative fiction which today is called “analytics”, without ever watching basketball. They think they need only adhere to arbitrary rules (young player + minutes = good stats for my fantasy basketball team) which they pick up from hack Roto-pundit scribblings and gibberings in their automated robot-to-text columns and pod-shows. The staff at Rotoworld are probably artificial human holograms with very crude and simple AI-brains capable only of generating hack projections based on numbers and text beamed into their heads directly from Twitter.  

This is a mistake, and certain forum-posters have tried very helpfully to bring this error of thinking into the light, to show its erroneousness, and to demonstrate the correct way to participate fantasy basketball discussion, to the benefit of everyone. It’s not some minor issue that people are obsessing over for no good reason.

“My first time watching him today.  I was not impressed. He looks very raw to me.  I think he could be a foul magnet.  I thought the referees could have called him on multiple moving screens in addition.”

Notice words like “watching” and “looks”. These people are materialists with a correct orientation. Their minds are clear and they know to base their ideas on observable things that occur in reality. Contrast with this gibberish:

“This is a prime breakout situation. Any flashes of potential will result in PT.”

“My logic to pick him up was simple - he’s on a s*** team and numbers can be inflated. Doesn’t need many minutes to produce...”

These are empty parrot-phrases, meaningless mantras based on nothing, Roto-pundit shorthand, shortcuts, mindless fake rules for people who, if they could, would hire a slave to run their fantasy teams for them, or a computer programme.

It to the advantage of everyone that the basketball-idealists be exposed, that their thought-confusions be understood and avoided, and that people begin to watch basketball games with their eyes, to perceive and pierce through the blanket of lies that has been woven around Moses Brown, so that in future I can log onto this forum and read good posts from informed people and not a bunch of auto-generated cartoon character ravings by mind-infected Roto-hype men.

Thank you.  It's not that I'm passionate about Tony Bradley.  I'm not.  In fact, I barely saw him play when he was on the Sixers.  

I keep getting comments from posters who take silly positions.  They keep commenting on Moses' and Bradley's game and it's so clear to me they haven't seen anything more than highlights.

I'm passionate about accurate information, and I have a hard time letting notions sit out there when they're so clearly ill conceived.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Roughneck Jiharden said:

This is like The Republic of fantasy basketball posts 

• Like 3

Right now my theory is that Moses must have worked really hard all year, took the coaching well, and in Daigneault's eye's then he deserves the reward.  Good for him.

I'm going to watch the Utah game tonight to see how both of them fare when they're on the court with Gobert.  Hopefully, they both get some time against him.

• Haha 1

Until maybe 10 years ago, being a large mobile center was so advantageous that you didn't need much of a skillset to be locked into a fantasy goldmine of a role. MB and TB would've had better careers if they were born earlier, which is why I think they've both been frustrating underperformers (albeit flip sides of the same coin; Moses has opportunity but limited tools, Tony has tools but limited opportunity)

Roughneck's post up top makes good points about the pitfalls of analytics-only decision making, but it can't be overstated how OKC's priority is losing games, which has created a situation where the least effective players are all starting and playing down the stretch. From a fantasy perspective this can't be ignored, especially when okc has a 5 game week to kick off playoffs if you're on my schedule. 

Tl;dr don't chase players who can't pass or shoot. If you drafted Nerlens Noel in the 2nd or 3rd round that one year you know what i'm talking about

• Like 2

If you want to bet on the guy that is more effective on the court between Bradley and Moses, you have to choose Bradley. Moses is just a slightly better Hassan Whiteside right now, and I posted on the Moses thread that many times.

However, Roby is now back too and with OKC big almost 100% outside of Horford, it is becoming an increasingly gamble to play any of the OKC players. Remember that Roby was the backup C earlier, in games that Poku was in the G league. Now that they are back, does Roby eat up PF or C minutes? 

It's tough to choose Bradley or Moses now.

bottom line.... fantasy is only about statical numbers. To gain an advantage, you need to look at past numbers combined with a way of quantifying future opportunity in order to project forwards:

1. risk of missing games

2. future mpg likelihood

3. usage based on projected mpg

How good the player is, how healthy the player is, how bad the team is, tendencies of the coach are all factors that impact  the future mpg likelihood, but looking solely at some of these factors and ignoring others will put fantasy GMs at a disadvantage.

For 12-teamers, I don't think there's a debate to be had between bradley & moses, because you've likely got 1 on your roster and somebody has the other. sit tight and hope for the best.

(i'm team bradley :) )

• Thanks 1

Oof... All this talk about who's better is useless since it seems that the coach/FO don't seem to see a future with Bradley. Only 4 mins in the first half, with OKC going small ball for extended period when Moses is sitting down.

That last game against Sixers was probably a present for him from the coach for a revenge game.

11 hours ago, Sixersfan740 said:

Right now my theory is that Moses must have worked really hard all year, took the coaching well, and in Daigneault's eye's then he deserves the reward.  Good for him.

I'm going to watch the Utah game tonight to see how both of them fare when they're on the court with Gobert.  Hopefully, they both get some time against him.

Care to share your insight as i didn't watch the game? Judging from stats Moses was very good against Gobert while Bradley had the worst night of his life.

Honestly now if this was a debate between someome that has good potential and Moses Brown i would get behind it. If it was Robert Williams not getting more minutes I would be all for that. But to me it feels just a giant troll this thread. Bradley is not very talented. 

Edited by RipCity0

Tony Bradley fell from the rotation for much of Tuesday's game, finishing with five rebounds and no other stats in 11 minutes.

Advice: Rather than enjoy a 'revenge game' bump in his role tonight, Bradley was limited to three short stints off the bench. Isaiah Roby's return from a concussion is the obvious culprit and with Darius Bazley also back from a shoulder injury the frontcourt is getting crowded. Deep-league managers may want to give Bradley a few more games, but that's about it.

So Ive been reading this thread with lots of fun the last couple of days... this guy telling us ‘have you been introduced to Tony Bradley yet’. Thanks for the introduction! Happy I didn’t listen 😂.

• Haha 3

When Bradley gets the minutes he's a top 100 player in 9-cat.

When Moses gets the minutes he's not even a top 150 player in 9-cat.

Bradley has significantly more fantasy (and real basketball) upside than Moses.

All three of those things are true.  Unfortunately, it's also true that Moses is getting the minutes.

4 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

Care to share your insight as i didn't watch the game? Judging from stats Moses was very good against Gobert while Bradley had the worst night of his life.

Honestly now if this was a debate between someome that has good potential and Moses Brown i would get behind it. If it was Robert Williams not getting more minutes I would be all for that. But to me it feels just a giant troll this thread. Bradley is not very talented. 

Listen man, Moses got the minutes.  What can I say, Bradley didn't perform poorly he simply barely played.

l'm not sure what basis you're using to state that Bradley isn't very  talented.  I guess just looking at box scores?

And it's true, Moses had a nice game.  l'm happy for him if he can develop. 

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

So Ive been reading this thread with lots of fun the last couple of days... this guy telling us ‘have you been introduced to Tony Bradley yet’. Thanks for the introduction! Happy I didn’t listen 😂.

I'm so glad reading this thread has been fun for you, that's awesome!  Who did you end up picking up?  Are you winning your league?  

49 minutes ago, Sixersfan740 said:

Listen man, Moses got the minutes.  What can I say, Bradley didn't perform poorly he simply barely played.

l'm not sure what basis you're using to state that Bradley isn't very  talented.  I guess just looking at box scores?

And it's true, Moses had a nice game.  l'm happy for him if he can develop. 

No i have seen him play a couple times and he didn't seem to me as a guy that has some above average talent. What do you think he does well?

He was supposed to add range to his game but i guess that failed.

25 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

No i have seen him play a couple times and he didn't seem to me as a guy that has some above average talent. What do you think he does well?

Well, I'm not sure why you say "he was supposed to add range to his game."  Really, do you have a citation?

But to address it, there are plenty of very good 5's that don't shoot from range - Gobert, Bam, Richaun, Capela, Time Lord etc...

Tony does quite a lot well.  Defensively, he uses his big body to stay in front of his man, slides his feet pretty well and tends to put a good challenge on any shot.  He willingly and eagerly boxes out his man when a shot goes up, times the ball well and squeezes the rock well with his soft hands.  He seems to have good awareness if he needs to switch and doesn't seem to commit many errors in that regard.

Offensively, he's an above average pick and roll partner.  He rolls to the rim very well, catches pretty much everything with his big soft hands, and has great touch and feel around the basket, as evidenced by his excellent FG% at the rim.

He also runs the floor well.

44 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

Hey, you're right:

https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/sixers-tony-bradley-improving-shooting

He considers himself a stretch-5.  If he develops shooting range he really could be something. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sixersfan740 said:

When Bradley gets the minutes he's a top 100 player in 9-cat.

Probably the most common lament in fantasy bball. “If only he got the playing time” can lead a lot of managers to carry non-contributors while better opportunities pass them by.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
20 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

In TB's case the proof is there.  He's gotten minuets and when he has, he produces.  

I will note that after the Sixers game the other day Josh Lloyd had Tony Bradley ranked in the 90's ROS.  Not that he's always right, but I'm not alone.

In my particular case, there wasn't a better opportunity.  I'm in a 15 team deep, 9-cat league.  I picked up Tony and still hold him, and who knows maybe something changes in OKC.  Not a big deal if not.  Moses was picked up by another manager before both the trade deadline and Horford getting shut down.  

Here is my squad by the way, 15 team, 9-cat, season long roto:

PG - Lowry

SG - Derozan

G - Kawhi

SF - PG

PF - Wood

F - Kyle Anderson

C - Time Lord

Util - Marcus Morris

Bench - Malachi, KPJ, Tony Bradley, Delon Wright, Thies, Isaiah Stewart.

The waiver wire is quite bare and I'm out of dollars.  

Unfortunately he’s only getting quality minutes in blowouts against second string guys so far. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Sixersfan740 said:

In TB's case the proof is there.  He's gotten minuets and when he has, he produces.  

I will note that after the Sixers game the other day Josh Lloyd had Tony Bradley ranked in the 90's ROS.  Not that he's always right, but I'm not alone.

In my particular case, there wasn't a better opportunity.  I'm in a 15 team deep, 9-cat league.  I picked up Tony and still hold him, and who knows maybe something changes in OKC.  Not a big deal if not.  Moses was picked up by another manager before both the trade deadline and Horford getting shut down.  

Here is my squad by the way, 15 team, 9-cat, season long roto:

PG - Lowry

SG - Derozan

G - Kawhi

SF - PG

PF - Wood

F - Kyle Anderson

C - Time Lord

Util - Marcus Morris

Bench - Malachi, KPJ, Tony Bradley, Delon Wright, Thies, Isaiah Stewart.

The waiver wire is quite bare and I'm out of dollars.  

Have you been introduced to Flynn yet?