NBC Sports Edge Forums

#FreeNateLowe

Nate Lowe was traded to the Rangers from Tampa Bay back in December and it looked like he may have had the everyday 1B job on lock until this spring. He's currently 3/17 with 8 k's and no walks, while his main competition Ronald Guzman is looking much better.

Throughout 4 season in the minors Lowe has a triple slash of .300/.400/.483 and in his 245 MLB plate appearances between 19 and 20 he's hit 11 homers and walked at a 9% clip. His k% exploded to 31.8% though as he's had trouble hitting the heat in the big leagues. In 2020 he saw fastballs 70% of the time and hit .122 against them (YIKES). Aside from this, he's got the track record to hit for power, with a high walk rate, and a good average. I think with some consistent AB's in an organization that won't jerk him around he could settle in to hit 30 homers a year while hitting .270.

What are everyones thoughts on Lowe this year and moving forward? 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first HR was oppo and the second was deep to center field. This guy’s power is legit. Breakout incoming

He hit a 3 run bomb last night, perhaps more importantly didn’t K.   It’s been about 100 PAs right now and I think we may have a winner on our hands. TLDR: Lowe has some swing and mi

Yoshi Tsusugo would still be starting 5 days a week. Happy for him (and me as a dynasty owner) that he has the chance to play and be a foundational piece for a rebuilding team. He'll heat up even more

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They are playing Guzman more in the outfield this spring so I don't see him as a threat to Lowe.

There's a solid chance Lowe doesn't make the Opening Day roster, IMO. Guzman getting reps in the OF is more planning for later in the season and getting ABs I think. Roster Resource agrees with this, as they have Guzman as the starting 1B and Lowe starting in the minors. I doubt we will see Guzman much in the OF with Calhoun, Gallo, Dahl, Taveras, and Davis all getting playing time.

I am a big fan of Lowe's talent but I think he will need an injury or two to get significant playing time.

5 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

There's a solid chance Lowe doesn't make the Opening Day roster, IMO. Guzman getting reps in the OF is more planning for later in the season and getting ABs I think. Roster Resource agrees with this, as they have Guzman as the starting 1B and Lowe starting in the minors. I doubt we will see Guzman much in the OF with Calhoun, Gallo, Dahl, Taveras, and Davis all getting playing time.

I am a big fan of Lowe's talent but I think he will need an injury or two to get significant playing time.

It's probably also planning for Dahl's eventual injury and subsequent transition to DH, in order to keep him healthy.

• Haha 1

I've been a Nate Lowe fan for a while, I was certainly on the hype train for a minute, I'm a sucker for left handed 1b/dh types who are good enough to make the majors. That being said, I've become less optimistic on Lowe. The Rays traded him away for a prospect further away, feels like a red flag to me (even though I like that prospect they got back a lot). It's not like they are stacked at 1b/dh.  He struck out a lot the last two years.  There's a chance he gets regular playing time vs righties in the majors, but I'm beginning to wonder if he's going to be anything more than serviceable, if that.  Not sure he will have much value outside of deep leagues.

Edited by brockpapersizer
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I've been a Nate Lowe fan for a while, I was certainly on the hype train for a minute, I'm a sucker for left handed 1b/dh types who are good enough to make the majors. That being said, I've become less optimistic on Lowe. The Rays traded him away for a prospect further away, feels like a red flag to me (even though I like that prospect they got back a lot). It's not like they are stacked at 1b/dh.  He struck out a lot the last two years.  There's a chance he gets regular playing time vs righties in the majors, but I'm beginning to wonder if he's going to be anything more than serviceable, if that.  Not sure he will have much value outside of deep leagues.

I'm heavily invested in Nate Lowe in several dynasties. Sadly, your opinion reflects my current sentiment. 

• Like 1

I agree with the above sentiments.  [...]  Guzman looks great so far and is also the superior defensive player at 1st.  I guess its possible for Nate to play third (bats left but throws right), but I'm starting to wonder if I should just cut bait now.  

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
  • 2 weeks later...

On 3/14/2021 at 12:42 PM, Sidearmer said:

With Khris Davis being out about a month for injury, my guess is that Nate Lowe now does make the team and is the starting DH until Khris is back. It may only be a 2-3 week showcase for Lowe, but  for those in deep leagues with some openings from other injuries, Lowe could be a priority pick up in the hopes he gets off to a hot tart and can retain a role going forward.

Just now, sportsfreak2744 said:

Why would anyone want Guzman? 

dominican winter mvp, new swing, looks good in spring training, is free or costs pennies in all leagues.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He is the hot new thing in all my leagues having re-invented himself.

1 hour ago, fawkes_mulder said:

dominican winter mvp, new swing, looks good in spring training, is free or costs pennies in all leagues.

Interesting - didn't know that. 

On 3/27/2021 at 7:12 PM, brockpapersizer said:

hope he succeeds, even with my 0 shares.

Same here (well, I haven't drafted yet).  It is nice to see him finally getting a real chance after being royally screwed several times by Tampa.

Also, the fact that they traded for a prospect that is well down the road shouldn't be that much of an indication about Lowe.  They did nothing to help his value, and obviously they didn't value him that much since he hardly played  (well, at least their "wizard" Kevin Cash didn't).

• Like 2

[...]

Where do you guys think he'll hit in the order?   I've seen some of the different lineup projections and they're a little all over the place for the Rangers.  I've seen him in the lower part the of the lineup in some places but I'd have to imagine he'd at least be in the 5th to 6th range to start.  

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Walk don't run? Bases clearing double in his debut at the 5 spot. Guzman has flopped in multiple chances and Texas is in need of a jolt in the middle of their lineup. Feel like he's the highest upside guy in waivers in most leagues (12 and below), I'm going to take a stab and see where it leads.

Before you guys get too hyped, he still had a Golden Sombrero in the game! A 50%K rate isn't going to cut it (he had a 37% K rate last year and 30% K rate in 2019).  And if we're being honest, the bases-clearing double was more of a bloop hit (and probably should have been caught if the left fielder had been positioned better).  Just saying.  I think there are probably better closers to prioritize off of waivers rather than adding Lowe at this point.  He had an oppo bloop hit and 3 ks.  Don't blow your  FAAB or your waiver priority just yet.  

Edited by enyouartist
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, enyouartist said:

Golden Sombrero  

11 minutes ago, enyouartist said:

3 ks.

One of these things is not like the other. Now that doesn't make it any better, but it's game one. Speaking for myself, im not blowing any FAAB on him because I already own him in my only 2 leagues, which are dynasties. So I'm just excited he's finally getting playing time.

• Like 1

It's been a great run for some accomplished lefty 1Bs of the last decade - Votto, Freeman, and Rizzo

But now it's time for the next great one -- come on down Nate Lowe