NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 hour ago, 5catstud said:

It's been a great run for some accomplished lefty 1Bs of the last decade - Votto, Freeman, and Rizzo

But now it's time for the next great one -- come on down Nate Lowe

I like Nate Lowe. But he's gonna have to cut way down on his strikeout rate to deserve being mentioned alongside those names. There might be some prime-era Adam Dunn potential though. I'd happily take that in dynasty.

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first HR was oppo and the second was deep to center field. This guy’s power is legit. Breakout incoming

He hit a 3 run bomb last night, perhaps more importantly didn’t K.   It’s been about 100 PAs right now and I think we may have a winner on our hands. TLDR: Lowe has some swing and mi

Yoshi Tsusugo would still be starting 5 days a week. Happy for him (and me as a dynasty owner) that he has the chance to play and be a foundational piece for a rebuilding team. He'll heat up even more

8 hours ago, Baseball Batman said:

I like Nate Lowe. But he's gonna have to cut way down on his strikeout rate to deserve being mentioned alongside those names. There might be some prime-era Adam Dunn potential though. I'd happily take that in dynasty.

For anyone playing in an OBP/OPS format that would be huge. I know historically he has a solid walk rate but it'd be nice to see him take one this year. 

4 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Nothing about his performance tonight? 2 long balls and no love. Crazy 

Kid is a stud. Hopefully he can ride this hot streak and stay after it. This Texas lineup is fun. 

4 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Nothing about his performance tonight? 2 long balls and no love. Crazy 

We've been desensitized with all the dongs being hit

His barrel rate and exit velocity is off the charts and his batted ball profile is prettyinteresting. He is hitting opposite field 50% of the time and isn’t extreme fly ball happy. Very early but if he keeps this up he’s going to hit for average and power. I added as soon as I looked up his profile.

Edited by Jimmymckrack
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Where was this dude when the Rays were in the World Series?

He came up for the rays played a few games didn’t hit well and I never saw him again. 

38 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

As a huge TB Rays fan I always hated the way we handled him.  Never really gave him an extended look and wasn't even in a long term platoon at any point.  I knew for him change of scenery was going to do wonders.  While the style of lineup management Cash uses wins game, I've always felt it is still going to let a few talented players trickle through (but honestly it's been fewer than I have expected over the years).  Tampa will (finally?) eventually lose on that trade.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

On the bench.  Cash destroys young players that could be stars with his stat anal style managing of NOT allowing them both time and regular AB's to grow into a role.  Baseball players WANT a set routine they can count on and a sense that they belong.  Cash gave Lowe zero of that.

Now TB has nothing but trash at 1B and Texas has a budding All Star there.  Wonder if the Rangers will trade for Nick's younger brother, Josh, that the Rays are still holding down in the minors and is said to be possibly better than Nick in time.  Free both brothers please.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

On the bench.  Cash destroys young players that could be stars with his stat anal style managing of NOT allowing them both time and regular AB's to grow into a role.  Baseball players WANT a set routine they can count on and a sense that they belong.  Cash gave Lowe zero of that.

Now TB has nothing but trash at 1B and Texas has a budding All Star there.  Wonder if the Rangers will trade for Nick's younger brother, Josh, that the Rays are still holding down in the minors and is said to be possibly better than Nick in time.  Free both brothers please.

We'll see what happens, think it's a little too soon to crown the Rays (one of the best run teams in baseball) idiots and Lowe a budding all star. It STILL hasn't been even one week. Dahl, Lowe, Kaiser-Falfael, and even Joey Gallo are batting over 300.  It's likelier they all just had a good series vs a poor KC rotation and Roark. They got dominated by Matz. 

Props to those that got Lowe late in drafts, or off the waiver wire in shallow leagues.  I have no shares and he's unavailable in all my leagues.  Not that it matters much, but I'm not that sold off one week yet, but it's been a great almost week no doubt.  Again, he was someone I really liked as a hitter when he was a prospect, and maybe this is him putting it altogether. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

We'll see what happens, think it's a little too soon to crown the Rays (one of the best run teams in baseball) idiots and Lowe a budding all star. It STILL hasn't been even one week. Dahl, Lowe, Kaiser-Falfael, and even Joey Gallo are batting over 300.  It's likelier they all just had a good series vs a poor KC rotation and Roark. They got dominated by Matz. 

Props to those that got Lowe late in drafts, or off the waiver wire in shallow leagues.  I have no shares and he's unavailable in all my leagues.  Not that it matters much, but I'm not that sold off one week yet, but it's been a great almost week no doubt.  Again, he was someone I really liked as a hitter when he was a prospect, and maybe this is him putting it altogether. 

That’s cool and all but I’m here for the hot takes, you can throw water on this hype train! Lowe is hitting 50! 

• Haha 1

Of all of the early hot streaks, id put my shares in Lowe considering the minor league and prospect pedigree.  Full-time playing time at the top of the line up and hitting in Texas.  Sign me up!  The batted ball profile is the crazy part.  He is smashing to all fields.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, treyjuice said:

0 for his last 17 with a bunch of strikeouts. 

That feels about right lmao. Hopefully we can get somewhere in the middle of these two extremes to start the season. 

On 4/7/2021 at 8:40 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Whatever, could still be good, but my position on any hitter has certainly not changed in the first two weeks outside of maybe Yermin Mercedes, who I admittedly never looked into much before this year. I still think Lowe's upside is back end CI option. Kind of in that range we are hoping for Christian Walker, except that in the last real season we saw Christian Walker able to do it.

Biggest red flag to me is that TB traded Lowe without having stud 1b/DH on their roster.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Biggest red flag to me is that TB traded Lowe without having stud 1b/DH on their roster.

Yep. The Rays don’t practically give away players they believe in that have 5+ years of control left.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be getting hot again - on pace for 40 HRs. The Ks are a concern but he's keeping it at about 30%, which isn't horrible. He's using all fields, going opposite field about 40% of the time. He keeps this up and I think he can be a top 100 player provided consistent PT

His minor league stats was very good. Nate Lowe is a solid player top 100 to top 140 in fantasy. He will go on streaks and slumps but overall he will be useful. We need guys like him especially with all the injuries that have been going on. 

• Thanks 1

I mean yes the strike out rate is alarming right now, but it seems to be getting better compared to the initial rate when the season first started. He was a real windmill the first few weeks of the season. The exit velocities and batted ball profile are really attractive. If he nails the approach as the season progresses we have a winner. Already seeing a few more walks and the K rate improve SLIGHTLY in the last week or two.

He hasn't gotten a lot of reps at the MLB yet so to write him off or hold him hostage over that isn't necessarily fair either.

The Rays are a well run organization we can all acknowledge that, but NOBODY bats 1.000 when it comes to player eval. 

Always thought of him as a Hoskins like player as prospect. Just in terms of upside.

Edited by Dirtywater97

Just wanted to add that trade could of been less about their opinion of Lowe being bad and more of an endorsement of how much they liked Heiberto Hernandez. 

Need to trade something of value to get something of value, etc. MLB roster was getting crammed, etc.

• Like 1