Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Looks to be continuing right where he left off last season.  I know spring training numbers can be misleading but his stuff looks really sharp so far.  I can't be completely sure but didn't he make a change to his pitch usage after coming over from the Dodgers?  I'm starting to wonder how far he will shoot up the SP list since I was targeting him as a really strong #2 in my earlier mocks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knifeparty said:

Looks to be continuing right where he left off last season.  I know spring training numbers can be misleading but his stuff looks really sharp so far.  I can't be completely sure but didn't he make a change to his pitch usage after coming over from the Dodgers?  I'm starting to wonder how far he will shoot up the SP list since I was targeting him as a really strong #2 in my earlier mocks.  

I think he's already a bit overpriced. I don't see his ADP changing all that much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He tended to break down when he was on the Dodgers. Obviously in a short season last year that didn't happen, but its a risk for this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

He tended to break down when he was on the Dodgers. Obviously in a short season last year that didn't happen, but its a risk for this year.

I haven't gone back and looked at all his injuries, but I'm not sure how true this is considering how the Dodgers have historically handled their staffs. 

I believe the Dodgers had reasons to limit his innings due to how his contract was written as well. If he surpassed X amount of innings he got a bump.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I haven't gone back and looked at all his injuries, but I'm not sure how true this is considering how the Dodgers have historically handled their staffs. 

I believe the Dodgers had reasons to limit his innings due to how his contract was written as well. If he surpassed X amount of innings he got a bump.

2018 Pre and Post All star game numbers:

image.thumb.png.9424e14bdcf9026552869a285181a38c.png

 

2019 Pre and Post All star game numbers:

image.thumb.png.92f87619e8e3e4bab154debb232d6d44.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of those years show he was pulled from the rotation and pitched out of the pen in the 2nd halves. Starting pitchers have their set schedules and continuity. Some starters cant make the change to the bullpen, in season. I remember he'll start 1 game, then go back to the bullpen and start another game a week later.

We'll see how he does in the 2nd half this year, being a full time starter and all.

Edited by Gryfter
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

[...] I hate him at his ADP this year. Love the pitcher, but not at that price. I probably won't own many shares of him because I'll be busy trying to find the next Maeda. IMO, that might be Chris Paddack. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Both of those years show he was pulled from the rotation and pitched out of the pen in the 2nd halves. Starting pitchers have their set schedules and continuity. Some starters cant make the change to the bullpen, in season. I remember he'll start 1 game, then go back to the bullpen and start another game a week later.

We'll see how he does in the 2nd half this year, being a full time starter and all.

He's never started a full season, and even though much of his second halves have been from the pen, he still struggled nonetheless.  At an ADP in the top 50, just seems like a lofty price to bank on him performing a whole year. He hasn't pitched more than 153 innings since 2016.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

You guys starting him today?

HR/FB and BABIP are still ridiculously high. 
4.26 xFIP

Theres certainly a combination of less Ks, more FBs, but also some real bad luck. Hoping it stabilizes soon.

I’m also in a K/BB league so probably a much easier start.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, summersoff7 said:

You guys starting him today?

Yes, and I won’t be surprise he throws another clunker. 14 ER 13 IP last 3 .. 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Yes, and I won’t be surprise he throws another clunker. 14 ER 13 IP last 3 .. 🤷‍♂️

winds blowing out pretty strong so balls will be flyin out tonight

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the start...........way too many full counts for him to get the QS and was "gifted" a few strikeouts by some pretty bad swings.  Even though the line looked pretty good, I would still be pretty cautious with him.  Another thing I noticed but he gets rattled pretty easily when not getting the calls on the edges.... like full-blown swearing into his glove and many many grimaces/scowls.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s not all the way back but it was a step in the right direction. There was going to be some expected regression from last year’s insane numbers. That said, I still think he can settle in to a mid 3’s ERA with solid whip, Ks and Ws on a good club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The white sox are pushovers against righties.  They seem intimidating Bc they dominate all lefties raising their overall line

They’re basically the team version of Ozzie Albies 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Groin tightness... please shut him down for a month or two. Kinda sick of trotting him out every start 

Ironically, my groin got tight for the first time this season reading about Maeda. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

Strange, you never see him and Louis Castillo in the same room together. 

Both Castillo and Maeda had their numbers artificially inflated big time last year by getting to face solely the two Central teams last year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...