NBC Sports Edge Forums

A.J. Dillon 2021 Outlook

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Ok, I respect that.  My opinion is the Packers will keep doing what very nearly propelled them to the SB last year.  It’ll be interesting to see how the chips fall.

This - sure they threw it a ton in the red zone last year, but it also worked pretty damn well. Not saying they won't shift that a bit this year, but there's no specific reason to think their approach will be vastly different.

Edited by trilly
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, BlueMeanies said:

There have always been questions about every NFL running back's durability.

Jones is not a special case in this regard. 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Jones is not a special case in this regard. 

I actually totally agree. It’s tackle football, players get hurt, and can’t draft scared. I mean, I loved Jones falling to me in the third round in 2019, because of his perceived injury history, despite his elite production.

But I also just think Dillon is a great runner in his own right and is logically well more suited for short yardage situations.   There is nothing else I can really say to support this opinion, so once again, will just leave it at that, and say we’ll see in January.

5 hours ago, BlueMeanies said:

I actually totally agree. It’s tackle football, players get hurt, and can’t draft scared. I mean, I loved Jones falling to me in the third round in 2019, because of his perceived injury history, despite his elite production.

But I also just think Dillon is a great runner in his own right and is logically well more suited for short yardage situations.   There is nothing else I can really say to support this opinion, so once again, will just leave it at that, and say we’ll see in January.

To me, AJ Dillon = Gus Edwards. Efficient, powerful, backup committe RB behind an elite starter. Logically, wherever you value Gus, that's about where you should value AJ. Anything more than that is just emotional.

12 hours ago, BlueMeanies said:

I started this thread because I was excited about Dillon's 2021 prospects.  Now that Jones has signed, I'm not that excited anymore.

As pointed out, if Dillon was this big bruising bag that was an automatic TD every time the Packers got to the 1 yard line, then why wasn't he given the opportunity?  Well, it's because Jones is better.  The argument that "he was a rookie" doesn't mean that he didn't remember how to hold onto the ball for 12 inches and fall into the end zone.  It's because they trusted Jones more.  And if they had so much confidence in Dillon that he could do whatever Jones could do, then why was Jones brought back at all?  It's in part because Rodgers likely said he wanted him back.

I think Dillon is still a fine dynasty prospect.  Jones contract will pay him close to $20M for two years, and the Pack can potentially get out at 2023 with dead cap of $6.5M.  So maybe that's when Dillon takes the reins.

I think Dillon is essentially going to be a handcuff this year, as I'm sure most do.  And sure, if it only costs you a 9th round pick, then what's really to lose?  But still, he's going to clog your roster because you're likely holding on to him for the season just hoping that Jones gets injured.  Meanwhile, you could perhaps have used that roster spot to hit gold on a weekly contributor.  I'm not in the business of holding speculative handcuffs, especially if I don't own the starter.  At Jones cost, I don't want to own him which means I likely won't be owning Dillon.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lafleur holding you back same way he did Henry 👀 

I see you big fella, shame they wasted that money on Jones instead of the defense.

Yes.  The only coach who never held Henry back was Arthur Smith.  He shall be missed....

21 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I will always appreciate Arthur for showing others the blatantly obvious way to properly use a HOF talent.

If only LaFleur had previously shown him how to do so...

• Like 1