NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyler O'Neill 2021 Outlook

On 3/30/2021 at 11:50 AM, metropolitans said:

That'll be my approach, he's one of the players I'll be watching their box scores intently for the first few weeks & if he rakes, im jumping on board the hype train 🚂

Already added in 1 league right after I saw his 2-run HR. I've seen enough lol 😆 all aboard 🚂

• Like 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tyler O'Neill hit a two-run home run and scored another run on Thursday against the Reds. Reliever Cam Bedrosian hung one to O'Neill in the fourth inning and the hulking outfielder lined it

Cardinals beat writers continue to praise his work this spring, that he's letting the ball get deeper and hitting it the other way if that's what he's given. With his strength, that's translated into

His changes probably weren't just late last year, but the whole "year" in general. The power is obviously real so we don't have to look into that much. His K rate in his three years of MLB experience

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, billofwash said:

For some reason he had a run taken away from him on the CBS scoreboard.

CBS scoring has been off all day. Gerrit Cole still has no stats, as an example.

Tyler O'Neill hit a two-run home run and scored another run on Thursday against the Reds.

Reliever Cam Bedrosian hung one to O'Neill in the fourth inning and the hulking outfielder lined it 110.2 mph over the left field wall. He also scored a run after reaching on a hit by pitch in the first inning. O'Neill won the Cardinals' left field job with a big Grapefruit League showing and Harrison Bader's (forearm) injury could give him a little more leash. We're not overly optimistic, but O'Neill certainly is capable of stretches where he runs into some homers.

Someone clearly has biceps envy.  I wonder if the other RotoSportsWorldEdge blurbers are like, “Whoa, whoa, whoa, Keith...take it easy with the ‘We’ statements speaking for all of us about Tyler O’Neill’s future greatness. Maybe go out and get some air and think about some things before you get back to the blurbing.”

Edited by TheForearmShiver
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Tyler O'Neill hit a two-run home run and scored another run on Thursday against the Reds.

Reliever Cam Bedrosian hung one to O'Neill in the fourth inning and the hulking outfielder lined it 110.2 mph over the left field wall. He also scored a run after reaching on a hit by pitch in the first inning. O'Neill won the Cardinals' left field job with a big Grapefruit League showing and Harrison Bader's (forearm) injury could give him a little more leash. We're not overly optimistic, but O'Neill certainly is capable of stretches where he runs into some homers.

Someone clearly has biceps envy.  I wonder if the other RotoSportsWorldEdge blurbers are like, “Whoa, whoa, whoa, Keith...take it easy with the ‘We’ statements speaking for all of us about Tyler O’Neill’s future greatness. Maybe go out and get some air and think about some things before you get back to the blurbing.”

There are other detractors too. The below posts are from...TODAY

Michael: Tyler O’Neill reportedly worked on and had a great spring as far as a significantly better approach at the plate. If he can really translate that to regular season what kind of player do you think he could be?
Keith Law: I won’t buy that at all until I see it. His whole swing and approach were geared to pull the ball. That’s no small fix.

Carl (San Antonio): Are you buying a breakout for Tyler O'neill this year?

Craig Goldstein: Carl I hate to break it to you but I am off the O'Neill train this year. I cut him from my NL Only keeper list. I want to believe, but ultimately I just do not.

A player is good until they aren't. A player is bad until they aren't.  I won't be taking any victory laps on O'neil yet. It's been one game and it was one home run.  Still though, I've invested in multiple leagues and it was a good first day.  Maybe Castillo had a terrible day, but the Cardinals lineup looks really good.

• Like 2

His approach in spring training included going opposite field on the regular.  If he keeps that up - and us believers think he will - then he will keep his starting job and produce.

I believe I also heard he dialed back the weight lifting and this may help him stay healthier as well...that part is unknowable so far but it can be true for some guys.

• Like 1

I have a share in my main keeper league, but I’m not buying into him being anything better than a .250 hitter with solid power and a bit of SB potential. Would love to be wrong, lol. 

Per the Cardinals broadcast: So far this season, 65% swing percentage, 47% whiff percentage. Among the highest in baseball for both. Small sample, but, yeesh.

40 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Cool maybe someone will rage drop him in one of my dynasty leagues.  You never know.

:blink:

Really? As a Birds fan I see almost nothing here.

MAYBE if he puts it together and stays healthy he’s a 25 HR guy with low BA and low OBP

Guys like O'Neill are roller coaster type players.  They have immense power, poor contact skills, and K a lot.  At the end of the season it's .240 with 25-30 bombs, but the road to get there includes a lot of peaks and valleys.   This is the latter we're seeing.  Drop away,  keep an eye on him for the hot streak, and then pounce.  

couldn't hold on to him any longer.  [...] I'll be keeping a sharp eye on him when he gets back on the field.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story