NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyler O'Neill 2021 Outlook

Watching the game and the announcers mentioned he's something like 90th percentile for exit velo and 99th for sprint speed.

Looking at his fangraphs page, 94.2 EV, 112.6 max EV, 20% barrels, 38% hard hit, only 7% soft.  xOBA .320, xSLG .682.  Woah.

35.4 K-rate is yikes.  Even more yikes is his 2.1% walk rate.

Goodness sakes almighty.  If this guy could figure out some plate discipline, look out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tyler O'Neill hit a two-run home run and scored another run on Thursday against the Reds. Reliever Cam Bedrosian hung one to O'Neill in the fourth inning and the hulking outfielder lined it

Are we looking at the greatest baseball player of all time? 

Thanks Chief Wet Blanket

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2021 at 11:06 AM, 89Topps said:

Watching the game and the announcers mentioned he's something like 90th percentile for exit velo and 99th for sprint speed.

Looking at his fangraphs page, 94.2 EV, 112.6 max EV, 20% barrels, 38% hard hit, only 7% soft.  xOBA .320, xSLG .682.  Woah.

35.4 K-rate is yikes.  Even more yikes is his 2.1% walk rate.

Goodness sakes almighty.  If this guy could figure out some plate discipline, look out.

He’s shown glimpses of being so close to figuring something out 😩

Edited by Csiebert5
30 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Is this right??

Watching him play regularly as a Cards fan, yes, he’s super fast. He’s been so frustrating to this point for doing so little with those tools, hopefully he’s legitimately putting a nice run together. So far in his career, every time he shows flashes he follows it with a 2-for-23, 12K kind of stretch. He’s burned me a number of times like that. Recent developments are threatening to suck me back in again. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny enough this tweet was from before he hit jacks in back to back games, so the numbers are even better. Who would have known getting injured could be so helpful to some.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Funny enough this tweet was from before he hit jacks in back to back games, so the numbers are even better. Who would have known getting injured could be so helpful to some.

His profile screams the extreme.  i.e. he will have very hot stretches, and very cold stretches.  His high K rate and non existent walk rate, combined with his immense power, tend to point to this.  Right now he's on a heater so park his arse in your lineup and remove at the first sight of a 1 for 12 stretch with 9 K's.  When you see the next heater starting a couple weeks later, insert, rinse and repeat.

3 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Anyone know the severity of the injury he suffered today?

Diagnosed with a sprained left middle finger. Considered day to day. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Of course....

spacer.png

Yeah, man.  Daily IL trips lately. 

For the fill-ins: will Justin Williams hit this round or can Lane Thomas get it going again?  Or, of course, Edman back to the OF and Carpenter in at 2B.

• Like 1

Good luck to you owners because you know how these things, even "minor" ones, can linger on a lot longer and/or effect a player's swing so don't know if I believe the Cards' president's timeline:

Cardinals president John Mozeliak said Tuesday that Tyler O'Neill (finger) shouldn't be out for more than "a couple of weeks."

O'Neill was placed on the injured list on Tuesday afternoon with a fracture in his left middle finger, but it's apparently relatively minor and he is expected to resume baseball activities about a week from now. The power-hitting outfielder has posted an .820 OPS with eight homers and four steals in 30 games this season when healthy.

Source: Jeff Jones on Twitter              May 18, 2021, 4:17 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that was fast! He's batting 6th in tonight's lineup. I'm a little concerned he's coming back so quickly from a finger fracture, but maybe they have it to where it doesn't bother him on swings. Since he's already pledged to start wearing the oven mitt to avoid recurrence, I will assume he'll continue to steal bases. Let's hope he's ready to roll, good to have some positive injury news amidst a bunch of bad injuries across baseball. 

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Wow that was fast! He's batting 6th in tonight's lineup. I'm a little concerned he's coming back so quickly from a finger fracture, but maybe they have it to where it doesn't bother him on swings. Since he's already pledged to start wearing the oven mitt to avoid recurrence, I will assume he'll continue to steal bases. Let's hope he's ready to roll, good to have some positive injury news amidst a bunch of bad injuries across baseball. 

Stanton and Buxton can learn from this guy.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TexasBlueMoon said:

Is the power surge here to stay?

I don’t think power has ever been the question...it’s been his Ks, BBs, and BA. 

• Like 1