NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mike Trout 2021 Outlook

There did not appear to be a thread for him. My interest here is how low he's going on Y!.

From what I've seen in Y! mocks I actually have a chance to get this guy (which would be a first for me) drafting 7th in a 12-team league. 

He seems like a no-brainer pick to me at that point. Any reason to give middle-1st-round drafters pause to pull the trigger? I'm puzzled I guess. On Y! he's X-ranked at 8 with a 5.8 ADP. He looked good as ever to me last year. 

21 hours ago, sasnumberonefan said:

The difference between Trout and the other top 5-6 guys, is stolen bases. Trout probably won’t run nearly as much as Mookie, Acuna, Tatis, etc. After those guys, I’m all over Trout. 

I actually think the biggest difference is that, unlike Trout, some of these other guys don't play for godawfully run franchises and actually have a decent, deep lineup surrounding them.

Edited by Overlord

On 3/14/2021 at 7:41 PM, SuperJoint said:

There did not appear to be a thread for him. My interest here is how low he's going on Y!.

From what I've seen in Y! mocks I actually have a chance to get this guy (which would be a first for me) drafting 7th in a 12-team league. 

He seems like a no-brainer pick to me at that point. Any reason to give middle-1st-round drafters pause to pull the trigger? I'm puzzled I guess. On Y! he's X-ranked at 8 with a 5.8 ADP. He looked good as ever to me last year. 

8 seems low, but you can argue it. The top 4 hitters (Soto, Betts, Tatis Jr., Acuna Jr.) all add more stolen bases and don't have as much injury risk as Trout. They are also in better lineups. Then you can look at the 3 big pitchers (deGrom, Cole, Bieber) and talk yourself into them. He's definitely a top 5 hitter, the Yahoo ranking and ADP is because players are picking the big pitches earlier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Crusaderfan said:

Trout is now 3-25 since the Angels DFA'ed Pujols - coincidence? Probably not 😩

That or maybe he just couldn’t hit .400 all season long and there was some regression coming. 

8 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

That or maybe he just couldn’t hit .400 all season long and there was some regression coming. 

Dan Szymborski, FanGraphs: Mike Trout, Yasmani Grandal, and Other Early BABIP Outliers

Trout naturally appears on this list, something that should be expected when a hitter has a BABIP over .500. The good news is that even with the largest discrepancy between zBABIP and BABIP, he still has the best zBABIP in baseball, at .365.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Everybody knew he wasn't going to hit .400.  I guess I just expected the regression to be a bit more gradual than this. 

1 hour ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Tough stretch for us trout owners. Slumping for a few weeks, now nursing a strained calf. Any news/updates on severity of the injury? Hoping it isn’t bad...

Only thing I saw was that he had a similar injury in 2019 that only held him out for 3 days, so let’s hope for that.  If/when he comes back hoping he start to heat up though.

1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Only thing I saw was that he had a similar injury in 2019 that only held him out for 3 days, so let’s hope for that.  If/when he comes back hoping he start to heat up though.

He looked pretty distraught last night. I am assuming that he is going to hit the IL, however I hope you are right.

14 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

He looked pretty distraught last night. I am assuming that he is going to hit the IL, however I hope you are right.

That was what bothered me the most. Usually a player can tell instantly if he's suffered a serious injury and their reactions can often tell alot about an injury's severity.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Wieties said:

That was what bothered me the most. Usually a player can tell instantly if he's suffered a serious injury and their reactions can often tell alot about an injury's severity.

Yes the way he threw his helmet down in frustration also leads me to believe that we will at the very least see a short trip to the DL.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

12 minutes ago, Brujan said:

Yes the way he threw his helmet down in frustration also leads me to believe that we will at the very least see a short trip to the DL.

Oddly enough I had a trade offer sent to me that included him (him for Soto), and I was about to accept but then the injury happened so I told the manager I will reject it in light of the injury and even told him I could see it taking multiple weeks, but he replied saying he is aware of the injury and that the offer is still valid so I accepted. Great player anyway and I wish him the best.

must have some amazing karma on ur side.

This will be the fourth non-Covid-related season in a row that Trout will miss a significant amount of time.

I can distinctly remember in 2019 being absolutely shredded on this forum when I had the temerity to express that I was becoming concerned about Trout's tendency to get hurt and miss a month-plus of games every season.  

• Like 2

Just now, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Imagine being an Angels fan AND owning him in fantasy leagues. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined. 

I learned many years ago, you don’t take players on your favorite sports team. 

• Like 3