NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2021 Outlook

Conner was my favorite value RB last year. For about 6 weeks it looked like a good call, and then the Steelers decided to completely abandon the run. Conner still averaged 4.3 ypc behind one of the worst RB lines in the league, and flashed his versatility. 

Assuming he signs somewhere like Miami, Atlanta, New York (Jets), I can see him being undervalued again.  He'll be an RB2 with RB1 upside available as a he-hum RB3 in most leagues. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean... Kyler will turn his shoulder into stone and the Cards will float like a hamburger?

After Kyler hurt his shoulder, he stopped running for those 1 yard bunnies and Drake got more of them.

I mean, Pit ranked 32nd in just about every run blocking metric last year. So it's not an excuse, but sure.    Edit - https://www.footballoutsiders.com/foplus/dvoa-database/basic-offensive-d

Hello? No discussion for Conner? He's the best free agent RB still available, but his market is shockingly quiet. I've heard Miami loosely linked to him, but that's it. 

There are several teams where he would immediately step in and be the starter. 

On 3/14/2021 at 8:36 PM, ajs723 said:

Conner was my favorite value RB last year. For about 6 weeks it looked like a good call, and then the Steelers decided to completely abandon the run. Conner still averaged 4.3 ypc behind one of the worst RB lines in the league, and flashed his versatility. 

Assuming he signs somewhere like Miami, Atlanta, New York (Jets), I can see him being undervalued again.  He'll be an RB2 with RB1 upside available as a he-hum RB3 in most leagues. 

I think its safe to say that Conner will never have RB1 again.

11 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Hello? No discussion for Conner? He's the best free agent RB still available, but his market is shockingly quiet. I've heard Miami loosely linked to him, but that's it. 

That says less about Conner and more about what’s left at RB. 

11 hours ago, ajs723 said:

He’s not a good running back. He saw some success because the pittsburgh line was good back then

There are defiintely plenty of teams with light RB depth charts, including a few with barely an NFL player on them.    I can't imagine he hasn't gotten calls, but he might be the guy that has to wait for the draft.   

We're at the stage now where teams look at what's left and try to bargain shop, so we'll likely see a few more signings in the next week of super cheap vets to backup level deals, and roster openings will shrink.     

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chippa said:

He’s not a good running back. He saw some success because the pittsburgh line was good back then

Not just the line, but the play-calling and the offensive scheme as a whole were much better than...whatever the heck the Steelers were trying to accomplish last season.  Conner is still good enough to thrive as an RB2 in the right situation, with the enormous caveat (of course) that he stays healthy for a change.

TIL this forum is absurdly low on James Conner. 

He was really good last year. Genuinely a borderline RB1 on talent. His problems were his line was bottom 5 in the league, and the Steelers abandoned the run in the second half of the season. 

Here are some fun numbers.

Attempts per broken tackle.

Dalvin Cook: 9.5

Alvin Kamara: 9.8

James Conner: 9.9

Derrick Henry: 11.1

Conner was great in 2020, he just had no help and stopped getting opportunities. He's also a great receiver out of the backfield, but was an afterthought, only catching passes as the last read checkdown.

Early bold prediction is that he signs as a starter, puts up 1500 total yards, 50 receptions, and 8 TDs somehwere in 2021. 

• Like 2

Side note, I'm genuinely curious what constitutes a broken tackle - when I watch these dudes play, my eyes tell me they're breaking tackles way more frequently than once every 10 carries.

2 hours ago, trilly said:

Side note, I'm genuinely curious what constitutes a broken tackle - when I watch these dudes play, my eyes tell me they're breaking tackles way more frequently than once every 10 carries.

• Broken Tackles: both rushing and receiving - the number of times that the runner does something significant to get past/through a defender

It's vague, but distinct from missed tackles. The runner has to make a significant move. Bad tackling or glancing blows don't count.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

First, there was this:

Free agent RB James Conner is scheduled to visit the Cardinals Monday.

It's Conner's first known visit since hitting the open market. The Cardinals will undoubtedly add to its backfield this offseason since only Jonathan Ward, D.J. Foster, and Eno Benjamin are currently available behind Chase Edmonds, but none of that group moves the needle as players that would eat into Edmonds' inevitable work(horse)load. Even if Conner were to put pen to paper, fantasy players should worry about a(ny) backfield selection with the No. 16 and 49 overall picks making an impact before the former.

Then, there was:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent RB James Conner underwent surgery to repair "a very moderate" turf toe-type injury this offseason.

A "full recovery" is expected by June, but it's still a concern considering Conner has yet to play 16 contests in any season, appearing in just 23-of-32 possible games the past two years. He'll receive a physical with the Cardinals before potentially inking a one-year deal, but that shouldn't stop fantasy players from coveting Chase Edmonds as a clear-cut top-16 option (with upside). Conner should be considered questionable for any spring workouts.

Still a stud when healthy and given decent volume. Steelers line and pass/run ratio did him no favors last year. Cardinals would be a pretty decent landing spot and he would only have to compete with Edmonds for volume early on in the season.

• Like 1

Last year, Drake was an uninspiring RB2 and Edmonds was a dart throw RB3. Conner is a significant upgrade over Drake. I'd expect Conner to be a high end RB2 and Edmonds to remain a PPR flex play. 

18 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Last year, Drake was an uninspiring RB2 and Edmonds was a dart throw RB3. Conner is a significant upgrade over Drake. I'd expect Conner to be a high end RB2 and Edmonds to remain a PPR flex play. 

I'm not even sure he's an upgrade let alone a significant one. I would be surprised if his contract exceeds the one Drake signed with the Raiders

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

I'm not even sure he's an upgrade let alone a significant one. I would be surprised if his contract exceeds the one Drake signed with the Raiders

He'll probably get pocket change, but he's a much better RB than Drake. 

Drake averaged 4.0 yards per carry last year.

Conner averaged 4.3.

Drake broke a tackle every 14.9 attempts.

Conner broke one every 9.9 attempts.

Drake averaged 1.7 yards after contact.

Conner averaged 2.0.

Both players had bad lines, but Conner's was worse. Maybe the worst in the league. The Cardinals also have a more difficult running game to scheme against because of Murray. 

50 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Both players had bad lines, but Conner's was worse. Maybe the worst in the league. The Cardinals also have a more difficult running game to scheme against because of Murray. 

lmao what

Connner stinks. Just because he survived cancer doesnt mean we should shower him with excuses

Edited by Chippa
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Chippa said:

lmao what

Connner stinks. Just because he survived cancer doesnt mean we should shower him with excuses

I mean, Pit ranked 32nd in just about every run blocking metric last year. So it's not an excuse, but sure. 

Edit - https://www.footballoutsiders.com/foplus/dvoa-database/basic-offensive-defensive-line-stats?year=2020&offense_defense=overall

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I mean, Pit ranked 32nd in just about every run blocking metric last year. So it's not an excuse, but sure. 

Edit - https://www.footballoutsiders.com/foplus/dvoa-database/basic-offensive-defensive-line-stats?year=2020&offense_defense=overall

Tomlin still benched the dude because he was less effective than the other guys in the backfield

10 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Tomlin still benched the dude because he was less effective than the other guys in the backfield

Also factually inaccurate. Snell averaged an embarrassing 3.3 ypc last year and McFarland averaged 3.4. Conner was never benched for anyone. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Also factually inaccurate. Snell averaged an embarrassing 3.3 ypc last year and McFarland averaged 3.4. Conner was never benched for anyone. 

then why did Snell see more snaps?

8 minutes ago, Chippa said:

then why did Snell see more snaps?

He didn't. Conner played 561 offensive snaps to Snell's 281. Snell played more snaps week 1, after Conner got dinged up/disciplined for yelling at Tomlin.

Snell never outsnapped Conner again.

Care to try again?

• Like 2