NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jonnu Smith 2021 Outlook

I heard on the radio that Henry was an excellent blocker or at least came into that role this season. I wasn’t sure either as I remember Henry being less of a blocker and more of a receiving TE. But not a Hernandez type of athlete. Either way, Belichick sees something.

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

I heard on the radio that Henry was an excellent blocker or at least came into that role this season. I wasn’t sure either as I remember Henry being less of a blocker and more of a receiving TE. But not a Hernandez type of athlete. Either way, Belichick sees something.

I've read writer opinions on both guys and both were praised at times as blockers, so this is accurate.  I don't expect either to be a Hernandez type, and they probably got paid what they did bc BB wants that dimension.    

55 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Well, might be semantics, but bigger and faster doesn't make him the athlete Hernandez was. And I wasn't trying to speak in absolutes about Hernandez vs Jonnu...Smith may very well be every bit the athlete Hernandez was and just hasn't had the opportunity to show it. But when I watch Jonnu, I see a TE moving like a TE. Fast for sure, but Hernandez was just different. I remember him moving like a WR and remember him even being referred to more as a huge slot WR than an actual TE. Even if Jonnu is the same type athlete, this isn't the same offense and the GOAT isn't QBing the Pats, so it's still an apples-oranges deal to me. 

We're definitely in agreement with the two being signed. The perplexing part for me is Henry signing with them after Jonnu signed. I guess I envisioned Henry signing somewhere that would make him the cut-and-dry lead TE. Maybe NE has talked to both of them and told them that Jonnu will be split out into a slot position more than a TE position, leaving Henry as more of the traditional TE? 

My initial reaction is that this is terrible for both in fantasy terms, but maybe it works itself out. 

I don't think there was any advance agreement made about roles with either guy.  Both seem like they got fairly generous contracts given the cap situation and are just going where the money is.  They're now the #3 and #4 best paid TEs in the league behind Kittle and Kelce and both got good amounts of guaranteed money.  No need to over-complicate things with theories about secret handshake agreements before they signed. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think we're talking Gronk/Hernandez levels but I can absolutely see Jonnu and Henry coexisting as TE1s in fantasy when both are healthy.

Not that that is a hard bar to clear, but something to think about when trying to decide if Tyler Higbee or Irv Smith are really worth that 7th rounder or if you want to just snag a backup RB there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

5 catches on 5 targets for 42 was a decent season opener.

I just hate how Henry is very much involved. I'm just not sure if Mac Jones will be good enough his rookie year to support both of them. I fear they may cannibalize each others production.

9 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

5 catches on 5 targets for 42 was a decent season opener.

I just hate how Henry is very much involved. I'm just not sure if Mac Jones will be good enough his rookie year to support both of them. I fear they may cannibalize each others production.

Idk their wrs are not overly impressive. 

Playing in 3/4ths of the snaps is encouraging but Jones spread the ball around way too much to make a definitive answer. I like Jonnu and targeted him pretty heavily in the later rounds but it'll take a couple weeks for this offense to get sorted out.

That being said, knowing the TE landscape he is surely to be a weekly starter at the least I would think.

• Like 1

From Fantasy Pros last night

Patriots TE Jonnu Smith (hip) is questionable for Week 2 against the Jets. (Source: Henry McKenna on Twitter)

Fantasy Impact: Smith was added to the injury report on Thursday and logged "limited" sessions the next two days. He'll likely play, but the hip issue is one to monitor moving forward.

5 minutes ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

Welp, I targeted him a bit early thinking he'd be a sneaky TE1 this yr. Not giving up after 1 week obviously but now with the injury, not promising.
Question is if we can roll him out this week...

I mean if you have to. Definitely picking up a J cook type and playing him against the lowly cowboys secondary over Jonnu, however. I, too was very high on jonnu but it looks like Mac is targeting wrs a much higher percentage of the time than I thought. Seasoned vets of FF know not to knee jerk after week1 tho.

Jonnu is the type of talent that can command the top target share in this passing game, but it just hasn’t happened yet. Like I said a Jared cook waiver pick up is stronger right now. Other than that roll with him another week if he plays, his target share still has a good shot at growing. It will take a few weeks for Mac to find out who he truly loves to target most. 

• Like 1

Jonnu Smith (hip) is active for Sunday's game against the Jets.

Fantasy Impact

Smith's status was uncertain after suffering a hip injury last week. But after logging some limited practices throughout the week, he is good to go for Sunday's matchup. He lined up all over the field in Week 1 and makes for a decent tight end in all formats.

This offense kind of looks putrid again. I think Jonnu has a safe floor of 5-6 points when healthy because he gets screens, but I don't see anyone outside of Damien Harris producing in this offense. They run 60-70% of the time, Mac spreads the ball around, and I've seen very very few big plays out of pass catchers. Seems that's by design.

I expected more from him this year. There was a lot of hype surrounding him based on what Belichick said, the contract they gave him, and the offensive personnel they would be running that would favor him. In reality, Mac Jones is a rookie, he spreads it around, and Jonnu has Hunter Henry to deal with.

That being said, the TE landscape is a complete waste land aside from the top 3. You could do a lot worse, I guess.

I haven't been thrilled about his production so I'm going to pick up Evan Engram (possibly back week 3) as a flyer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gmoneypm said:

I expected more from him this year. There was a lot of hype surrounding him based on what Belichick said, the contract they gave him, and the offensive personnel they would be running that would favor him. In reality, Mac Jones is a rookie, he spreads it around, and Jonnu has Hunter Henry to deal with.

That being said, the TE landscape is a complete waste land aside from the top 3. You could do a lot worse, I guess.

I haven't been thrilled about his production so I'm going to pick up Evan Engram (possibly back week 3) as a flyer. 

Agreed, if you punted TE then Jonnu has been fine.  So far, it looks like he's not going to break into the top 5 though.