NBC Sports Edge Forums

I heard on the radio that Henry was an excellent blocker or at least came into that role this season. I wasn’t sure either as I remember Henry being less of a blocker and more of a receiving TE. But not a Hernandez type of athlete. Either way, Belichick sees something.

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

I heard on the radio that Henry was an excellent blocker or at least came into that role this season. I wasn’t sure either as I remember Henry being less of a blocker and more of a receiving TE. But not a Hernandez type of athlete. Either way, Belichick sees something.

I've read writer opinions on both guys and both were praised at times as blockers, so this is accurate.  I don't expect either to be a Hernandez type, and they probably got paid what they did bc BB wants that dimension.    

55 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Well, might be semantics, but bigger and faster doesn't make him the athlete Hernandez was. And I wasn't trying to speak in absolutes about Hernandez vs Jonnu...Smith may very well be every bit the athlete Hernandez was and just hasn't had the opportunity to show it. But when I watch Jonnu, I see a TE moving like a TE. Fast for sure, but Hernandez was just different. I remember him moving like a WR and remember him even being referred to more as a huge slot WR than an actual TE. Even if Jonnu is the same type athlete, this isn't the same offense and the GOAT isn't QBing the Pats, so it's still an apples-oranges deal to me. 

We're definitely in agreement with the two being signed. The perplexing part for me is Henry signing with them after Jonnu signed. I guess I envisioned Henry signing somewhere that would make him the cut-and-dry lead TE. Maybe NE has talked to both of them and told them that Jonnu will be split out into a slot position more than a TE position, leaving Henry as more of the traditional TE? 

My initial reaction is that this is terrible for both in fantasy terms, but maybe it works itself out. 

I don't think there was any advance agreement made about roles with either guy.  Both seem like they got fairly generous contracts given the cap situation and are just going where the money is.  They're now the #3 and #4 best paid TEs in the league behind Kittle and Kelce and both got good amounts of guaranteed money.  No need to over-complicate things with theories about secret handshake agreements before they signed. 

• 2 months later...