NBC Sports Edge Forums

Has had a horrible MLB career so far, 68 innings, 8.07 era, 2.13 whip, -1.5% k-bb. Negative k-bb.

Without drawing too many conclusions re the era/whip (korean league quality of bats is less than MLB, even if korean league skews towards offense), these are the numbers he put up:

116.2 IP, 3.01 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 28% K, 6.4% BB, 21.6% K-BB

I care about the K-BB% because that may be the first sign that he's improved his control/command and not just beaten up on inferior competition.

He will be starting this year for the Mariners. Spring training stats are even more irrelevant than Korean stats, but he's struck out 6 through 5 innings.

Steamer projects 109.0 innings, 118Ks, 4.09 era, 1.27 whip, 9.75 k/9, 16.9% BB-K. I think innings are light if he stays in rotation whole year, but I can see the era/whip/BB-K in that range. Obviously high variance.

He's free in most leagues.

Please meme me for creating this thread if he's trash.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I like the deeep league tout. He was a decent enough prospect a few years back for Mets. Has a 4 pitch repertoire and has been sitting 92-96 with the FB this spring, also uses a sweeping slow curve, change up and developed a cutter in KBO that he considers a weapon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah I like the deeep league tout. He was a decent enough prospect a few years back for Mets. Has a 4 pitch repertoire and has been sitting 92-96 with the FB this spring, also uses a sweeping slow curve, change up and developed a cutter in KBO that he considers a weapon.

He wasn't really a legitimate Mets prospect. He had a string of solid starts in AA once and people hyped him up, but he never delivered and was very mediocre in AAA for multiple years. He got more hype in 2019 when he lost a ton of weight and that did help him generate more velocity, but still no results.

We've seen enough of these mediocre guys go over to the KBO and find some success, so nothing can be ruled out. He looks like he will get a fair shot which is the best we can hope for. In a season where there will be a lot of pitchers getting rested and potential streaming opportunities, names like Flexen are important to monitor.

• Like 1

His curveball is really loopy.  I wish he would throw it harder and use his change up more.  I remember him throwing some nasty change ups when he was a Mets farmhand.  I'd be surprised if he's ERA is less than 4.5 but he does flash good stuff from time to time.

He's interesting, worth a flyer in a deeper league for sure.  In standards he can go unowned for a while.  Pretty sure part of the reason he was out of the majors was because of a very bad game against the Astros when they were cheating. He signed in the same division as the Astros. If he gets a start against them, I think it will be must see tv and I'll be rooting for him whether he's on my fantasy squad or not.  Look for that to be a story if it happens.

Pitching wise, I just don't know much about him. @fawkes_mulderthrew down the meme challenge.

He has 4 pitches and gets the Giants in week 1. Potential streamer.

• Like 2

Kid looked solid last night. 

Chris Flexen tossed five scoreless innings, giving up four hits and two walks; he also struck out six. 

Flexen’s strong outing earned him the win, as the Mariners shut out the Giants on Saturday, 4-0. The 26-year-old had little trouble beyond working out of jams in the third and fourth innings. It has been interesting to see how Flexen’s strong KBO performance from last year translates to a full MLB workload. His next appearance will be on April 11, where he will face the Minnesota Twins opposite Matt Shoemaker.

• Like 1

I liked what I saw last night. He has some potential and an arsenal to have success imo.

I really like how his stuff plays across the velo spectrum:

FA was between 91-95+, averages about 93, spotted it well in the upper quadrants of the zone

Cutter sat 88-90 and was heavily utilized to lefties and it has some good horizontal actions on it...I believe this is the pitch he modified his slider from in the KBO

CH sat 81-83, really good tumble to it and release looked to be mirroring FA very well

Curve is very interesting, love it's shape and classic 12-6 action, sat 74-77 MPH--which is very complimentary to his overall stuff...hopefully he works this in more

Overall 94 pitches with 12 batted balls and only 2 barrels. His zone plots showed a guy that def got squeezed on the black edges of the zone, lots of 'near misses' and a guy with some command polish--which he needs. The cutter was getting a bit too much of the zone, so that can be improved, I fully expect his chase% to get better based off the stuff and location I was seeing last night, particularly with the change and curve. He also threw a lot of innings last year, so his arm should be more prepared for the jump to 185+ this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Liked what I saw as well, but has a tough schedule coming up if things stay on course..twins, Astros and Red Sox 

Tough schedule... Red Sox? Ummm... As a Sox fan I thank you for the praise but this team just got mowed down by the Orioles... Zero reason to great their bats right now despite 3 big names.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Liked what I saw as well, but has a tough schedule coming up if things stay on course..twins, Astros and Red Sox 

Only Sox players hitting right now are JD and Vasquez.  Of course in a couple of weeks maybe another hitter or two may wake up.