NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ke'Bryan Hayes 2021 Outlook

Hayes is 10-for-24 with six extra-base hits and just two strikeouts this spring. 

Picking up right where he left off. I am very intrigued to see how he does this year, he makes really good contact in the zone, will take walks and is growing into his power. A lot to like.

• Like 1
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2/4, single, triple, run scored

WHO INVITED THIS GUY

Very exciting exit velocity last year. Powerful wrists and great at getting the barrel on the ball. Pretty solid sprint speed too.

Don't like crowning guys based off such small samples, but him being a top 10 3B this year would not shock me.

Like the player, hate the lineup. There is just very little run and RBI potential here. Teams will pitch around him as well. There's not a ton of power in his profile (yet) either. Personally, I wouldn't mind an average year from him with solid average, mid teens HR, little R / RBI, then have his price drop for next year.

• Like 1
On 3/15/2021 at 6:43 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Very exciting exit velocity last year. Powerful wrists and great at getting the barrel on the ball. Pretty solid sprint speed too.

Don't like crowning guys based off such small samples, but him being a top 10 3B this year would not shock me.

I agree with St. Steven. Just a gut feeling that this guy is going very under the radar. Hopefully he stays that way for another week (for my draft). I'm happy the Pirates are keeping his value down. Just hasn't stopped hitting since he got a cup of coffee last September. And having a father (Charlie Hayes) who was in the big leagues for 14 years isn't to be ignored, either.

He seems to exude confidence both on the field and off.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I'm happy the Pirates are keeping his value down.

Well you can count on that for the forseeable future, as the Pirates will put him in a pathetic lineup, which will result in low Run+RBI totals.

• Like 1

Just shot one opposite field off Ian Anderson at nearly 108 MPH. I have watched a lot of his ABs this ST (and certainly it is just ST)...he just has an uncanny knack for laying off close/tough offerings and hunts his pitch. Seems like a seasoned pro in the box and gotta like the authority he connects with.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Just shot one opposite field off Ian Anderson at nearly 108 MPH. I have watched a lot of his ABs this ST (and certainly it is just ST)...he just has an uncanny knack for laying off close/tough offerings and hunts his pitch. Seems like a seasoned pro in the box and gotta like the authority he connects with.

108?? That’s elite.  Do you (or anyone) see launch angle being a problem?  

• Like 1

2 more knocks today, including a 110+ MPH line drive single to the opposite field.

On 3/24/2021 at 1:01 PM, Cesare13 said:

108?? That’s elite.  Do you (or anyone) see launch angle being a problem?  

It is def something he became aware of, and began altering it last year too. With how hard he hits the ball, he is still gonna run into 15 HRs by accident...IF he can continue to get underneath the pitch more often, it isn't hard to see a 30+ HR hitter in the near future. He takes ABs like a seasoned pro.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, hawkeyezz said:

Another bomb today.

This kid is going to be special.

Love him too. What is a good comp?

I like Rendon with more speed.

I have no shares this year but I’ll keep an eye on the launch angle and batted ball profile. If the ball is flying this is an underrated guy that you want in dynasty leagues.

He makes good contact, has an approach, runs, and is young. It would be similar to how Mookie and Lindor were kind of late bloomer contact guys who figured out how to hit for more power. That’s the breakout formula.

Edited by 5catstud
34 minutes ago, B&F said:

Love him too. What is a good comp?

I like Rendon with more speed.

I'd say add the word "early" before Rendon.  But that's a pretty good comp as a ceiling for me.  .285, 25,15, 150 rbi/r type as a small % high end outcome with a roughly 20% decrease throughout as an expectable outcome.  Often times poor lineups that suppress rbi and r totals buoy sb totals.

Edited by Cesare13

It's interesting that Ke'Bryan was a hot prospect then everyone quit on him and said he "regressed" and ignored him.  Then he comes up to the bigs and doesn't take prisoners.  A cautionary tale not to give up on a prospect in the minors so quickly.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 8:23 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

It's interesting that Ke'Bryan was a hot prospect then everyone quit on him and said he "regressed" and ignored him.  Then he comes up to the bigs and doesn't take prisoners.  A cautionary tale not to give up on a prospect in the minors so quickly.

tumblr_mg64hxerDZ1s0hia6o1_250.gif

43 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

"Left wrist discomfort"

Well this is a bit hopeful:

Ke'Bryan Hayes exited Saturday's game against the Cubs due to left wrist discomfort.

Hayes appeared to have jammed his left hand, either while batting or on an attempted pickoff play at first base, during the opening frame. He was examined by the Pirates training staff, and remained in the contest initially, before being replaced by pinch-hitter Erik Gonzalez in the third inning. The 24-year-old third baseman, who homered on Opening Day earlier this week, has emerged as one of the most dynamic young hitters in the game over the last year. Hopefully his early exit was merely for precautionary reasons. There should be additional updates on his status later this weekend.

Source: Pittsburgh Pirates                    Apr 3, 2021, 3:24 PM ET

You would think that means at least nothing is broken.  Well unless the Pirates hired the Mets old training and med staff.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well this is a bit hopeful:

You would think that means at least nothing is broken.  Well unless the Pirates hired the Mets old training and med staff.

Aaron judge stayed in a game after getting hit in the wrist  3 years ago.   Had an at bat and even got a hit.  No way of knowing without an   X ray.  It SOUNDS like it’s not that bad, [...]

The Pirates just don't get to have nice things. [...]

Even if it isn't broken, this could significantly slow him down for a while. If it is, that could derail what was shaping up to be a hell of a rookie season. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Ugh.  Though he jammed it sliding back to the bag.  Turns out it was on a swing earlier according to cbs.   Won't know until tomorrow apparently.