• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2/4, single, triple, run scored

WHO INVITED THIS GUY

2 minutes ago, kwelch said:

SIGH

Ugh.  This “precautionary” IL stint  feels like it’s gonna drag on all season.  I was so excited after his first AB too.

I don't think the Pirates pushed him too hard. I think the doctors screwed up the initial diagnosis. For him to sit nearly three weeks and still have discomfort as soon as he tries a regular swing, there has to be something more wrong in his wrist. This is absolutely brutal. Given what he did after being called up and the way he crushed the ball all spring, he seemed primed for a breakout season. Now it is fair to wonder how much of a season he will even have. 

• Like 1

Hell, at this point, I would actually be happy with just another month. I'm concerned that it is a more significant injury that requires some sort of surgery. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

What kind of injury in a wrist would require surgery? A broken wrist? I am dumb and not a doctor so help me out here 

I really don't think there are any. With a full medical team at his disposal I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't have caught a break or fracture the first time. That leaves a sprain. My guess is he's out two more weeks. This diagnosis has been brought to you by WebMD. 

In milder wrist sprains, symptoms usually improve within two to three days. More severe sprains can take a number of weeks or even months to heal completely.

Just now, EWV1 said:

Wonder if he is looking at a hamate situation.

That was the original fear.   Hamates are usually 4 to 6 weeks, although Stanton missed 3 months with one.  Hayes has already been out 3.  Judge has a broken wrist and missed 8 weeks 3 years ago, although he was hit with a pitch and it's not likely that.  Matt Olsen had wrist surgery in early season  2019 and missed a month or so. He was supposed to have his power massively sapped.  He ended up hitting 36 Homer's in under 500 ABs.   Fact is, we just have to wait and hope for the best.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I really don't think there are any. With a full medical team at his disposal I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't have caught a break or fracture the first time. That leaves a sprain. My guess is he's out two more weeks. This diagnosis has been brought to you by WebMD. 

In milder wrist sprains, symptoms usually improve within two to three days. More severe sprains can take a number of weeks or even months to heal completely.

The Dodgers had a full medical team available to check out Bellinger and they missed the hairline fracture in his leg the first time around, so it can happen. 

The reason I was thinking hamate is the area he was showing to the trainer when he first came out of the game...that plus it happened on a swing and in general it seems hamate (or other?) bone injuries are more common than wrist connective tissue issues when it's a result of a swing.

3 minutes ago, EWV1 said:

The reason I was thinking hamate is the area he was showing to the trainer when he first came out of the game...that plus it happened on a swing and in general it seems hamate (or other?) bone injuries are more common than wrist connective tissue issues when it's a result of a swing.

I hear you, but a hamate fracture shows pretty clear on a scan, it is maybe more likely a sheath sprain (tear) in the connective tissue of the wrist area...but yeah, we are all kinda guessing at this point until PIT actually figures this out.

Now I really don't know what to believe here, but I guess this is sorta good news? 

Ke'Bryan Hayes (wrist) reported feeling much better Friday after visiting the doctor and receiving treatment Thursday.

Hayes aggravated his left wrist injury while taking swings on Wednesday. However, it sounds at this point like it might not be a major setback. Hayes will probably wind up having to play through some pain, but perhaps he will be able to return to the Pirates' lineup sooner rather than later.

Apr 23, 2021, 2:55 PM ET
5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Now I really don't know what to believe here, but I guess this is sorta good news? 

Ke'Bryan Hayes (wrist) reported feeling much better Friday after visiting the doctor and receiving treatment Thursday.

Hayes aggravated his left wrist injury while taking swings on Wednesday. However, it sounds at this point like it might not be a major setback. Hayes will probably wind up having to play through some pain, but perhaps he will be able to return to the Pirates' lineup sooner rather than later.

The Main Cast For Aladdin Has Been Announced And It's Not Emma Stone And Matt Damon

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

Sorta good news sound right.   Wrist injuries make me nervous.  They linger.

16 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I'd almost rather him wait out a couple more weeks and be pain free than having to swing through pain...

Me too, for sure.  But no one said he was coming back soon.  I'm just glad it wasn't some "detached so and so missed because of the swelling....surgery...." type of announcement.  Let's take the win.