Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ke'Bryan Hayes 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, billofwash said:

If you are in a weekly league do not start him. The earliest he will come back is toward the end of the week and the odds of that are slim.

I think that’s an optimistic view too- I’d be happy with mid-May at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2/4, single, triple, run scored

Owning this guy makes me feel like I’ve been on hold with customer service for a month.  Much longer than anticipated wait times and periodically being told that my wait will end soon but with no furt

My blurb on fantrax says this:

 

Director of team medicine Todd Tomczyk said Wednesday that Hayes (wrist) is not dealing with a new injury after his examination Friday, DK Pittsburgh Sports reports.

Analysis

"Very positive news the outcome of the exam and subsequent diagnostics," Tomczyk said. "We're not going to do the exact same things that we did before, but there will be some gradual progression into full baseball activities." The team is leaving the decision up to Hayes as to when he's ready to start playing catch or field grounders. While the 24-year-old won't likely return for at least several days, fantasy owners have to be pleased he's not expected to miss an extended period.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Owning this guy makes me feel like I’ve been on hold with customer service for a month.  Much longer than anticipated wait times and periodically being told that my wait will end soon but with no further updates.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Owning this guy makes me feel like I’ve been on hold with customer service for a month.  Much longer than anticipated wait times and periodically being told that my wait will end soon but with no further updates.

Minus the cool music.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My fantrax blurb says that he is still not swinging but they are taking him on their 7 game road trip, indicating that it's likely he's back sometime next week.  Starts swinging Monday, Rehab games thurs-Fri, back Saturday? My tentative guess right now

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? I just saw this like 90 mins ago:

Ke'Bryan Hayes (wrist) faced live pitching on Tuesday, per Pirates assistant hitting coach Christian Marrero.

Marrero added that Hayes "looked really strong" during the workout. The 24-year-old budding star has been sidelined since injuring his left wrist on a swing at Wrigley Field back on April 3. He reaggravated the ailment a few weeks ago but seems to be on the right track now and could be pushing toward a return around mid-May.

Source: Jason Mackey on Twitter

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Really? I just saw this like 90 mins ago:

Ke'Bryan Hayes (wrist) faced live pitching on Tuesday, per Pirates assistant hitting coach Christian Marrero.

Marrero added that Hayes "looked really strong" during the workout. The 24-year-old budding star has been sidelined since injuring his left wrist on a swing at Wrigley Field back on April 3. He reaggravated the ailment a few weeks ago but seems to be on the right track now and could be pushing toward a return around mid-May.

Source: Jason Mackey on Twitter

Oh awesome!!!  I guess my blurb hadn’t updated yet.  This is great news, but if he’s mid-May why do they have him on the road trip? Wouldn’t this suggest he could be back late this week?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kwelch said:

 

I could have sworn today was May 5, not April 5 when I first read this.  If I read this again on June 5, I'm going to lose it. Maybe I already have , and that's why I keep seeing "kebryan hayes back soon updates".  You guys see them too right?.....right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I could have sworn today was May 5, not April 5 when I first read this.  If I read this again on June 5, I'm going to lose it. Maybe I already have , and that's why I keep seeing "kebryan hayes back soon updates".  You guys see them too right?.....right?

"July 2nd, 2021 - Ke'Bryan was seen on the field and taking half swings, even a few 3/4 swings.  He reports little to no soreness at all, feeling relatively better.  Full swings next week.  He should be back sooner than later."

😆...in all seriousness, it does seem crazy that he had no structural damage or anything specific - not even sure he had an official injury label or diagnosis.  I get wrist injuries can be tedious/tricky and you want to be careful, but I'm with you, feels like it's been the same update every week or so for over a month - really can't wait until he's back on the field.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Overlord said:

If he's not swinging yet I imagine June 1 is best case scenario. 

He took swings in the batting cage yesterday and looked very strong per player news.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billofwash said:

He took swings in the batting cage yesterday and looked very strong per player news.

Sounds Iike he's swinging, then!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Probably means nothing in regards to his recovery since throwing is far less strenuous on the wrists than hitting but it's still nice to see

 

Edited by street sharks
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Infuriating.  At this point, any positive update is absolutely BS.   What do you do?  Dump him?  You’ve already put in 6 weeks, so what’s 3 more?  Keep him and you will see a similar update in a month.  Let him go and the pool douchebag will pick him up and he will win the league for them.  Wait it out and the wrist will affect him the entire year.  
 

if he’s swinging in the cage “without any pain or soreness” (which I don’t believe) why wait another 3 weeks??

Edited by Cesare13
Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this Rotoworld comment. Sure.

Quote

There has been no setback to Hayes, according to the Pirates, and this move has more to do with timing and roster Tetris than anything.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Infuriating.  At this point, any positive update is absolutely BS.   What do you do?  Dump him?  You’ve already put in 6 weeks, so what’s 3 more?  Keep him and you will see a similar update in a month.  Let him go and the pool douchebag will pick him up and he will win the league for them.  Wait it out and the wrist will affect him the entire year.  
 

if he’s swinging in the cage “without any pain or soreness” (which I don’t believe) why wait another 3 weeks??

At this point, I don't buy a word coming from the Pirates. Actually, I never believe a word coming from the Pirates, but even less so in this case. If he really was taking full batting practice swings with no pain, there is no reason to commit to keeping him out until June 4. Either he is dealing with more pain than the Pirates are wiling to say, or there is some way they can save money on his contract by keeping him on the shelf until then. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Was it ever the team that said he was close to returning, or was it always fantasy analyst speculation? 

2) does anyone know of any precedent for this type of injury, and is it possible that the recovery actually DOES take this long?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, B&F said:

Love this Rotoworld comment. Sure.

 

 

I get reporting the comment from the Pirates, but all organizations lie. Some, like the Pirates, just do it more than others. 

Seriously, does anybody know if this sets back his arbitration or free agency clock? The Pirates would absolutely do that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...