NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ke'Bryan Hayes 2021 Outlook

1 minute ago, Cesare13 said:

1) Was it ever the team that said he was close to returning, or was it always fantasy analyst speculation? 

2) does anyone know of any precedent for this type of injury, and is it possible that the recovery actually DOES take this long?

1. If he is really taking full swings in the batting cage now, it shouldn't take three more weeks to get him back. 

2. It really isn't clear what is wrong with him. The Pirates have kept it murky, and they haven't exactly shown that they are true to their word over the years. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2/4, single, triple, run scored

Owning this guy makes me feel like I’ve been on hold with customer service for a month.  Much longer than anticipated wait times and periodically being told that my wait will end soon but with no furt

Somebody asked what you do at this point, and it really depends on the type of league you are in. Don't most leagues have an injured list? As long as that is the case, you hold. 

If it is a redraft and he is keeping you from a good player who is available, I can see cutting him loose. It's not just waiting until at least June 4. The way they keep pushing him back makes me question if we will even see him then. 

Honestly, I think the simple explanation is that the Pirates: 

1) have literally no incentive to have him play, maybe even a disincentive for a better draft pick

2) Are just trying to play it as insanely safe as they possibly can with their stud of the future 

4 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Honestly, I think the simple explanation is that the Pirates: 

1) have literally no incentive to have him play, maybe even a disincentive for a better draft pick

2) Are just trying to play it as insanely safe as they possibly can with their stud of the future 

No he already has a LOT of games under his belt so no way can they make up for an extra year's control.  So maybe #2 or maybe a cigar is just a cigar and there is no mystery to this:

Pirates transferred Ke'Bryan Hayes from the 10-day injured list to the 60-day injured list with a left wrist injury.

There has been no setback to Hayes, according to the Pirates, and this move has more to do with timing and roster Tetris than anything. Hayes has been sidelined since April 3 with a left wrist injury and suffered a setback on April 22. The 24-year-old will now have to wait until at least June before he can be activated.

Source: Jason Mackey on Twitter

May 9, 2021, 12:34 PM ET

So very early next month does make sense to me because wrist injuries always seem to take longer than any team ever predicts.  Not just for Hayes.

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

No he already has a LOT of games under his belt so no way can they make up for an extra year's control.  So maybe #2 or maybe a cigar is just a cigar and there is no mystery to this:

So very early next month does make sense to me because wrist injuries always seem to take longer than any team ever predicts.  Not just for Hayes.

I’m not talking about extra year of control. I’m saying that the Pirates are noncompetitive so having a worse record is beneficial for them in the long run.  Maybe if they were in the playoff hunt they’d push him more 

8 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I’m not talking about extra year of control. I’m saying that the Pirates are noncompetitive so having a worse record is beneficial for them in the long run.  Maybe if they were in the playoff hunt they’d push him more 

Okay I get you.  So this is a good thing they don't risk rushing him back then.  As a dynasty owner I concur with that approach.  I've seen too many wrist injuries get re-aggravated when the player if brought back too soon.

29 minutes ago, hawkeyezz said:

Should have just did the surgery at this point. What a waste of time.

What surgery? There is no clear word of a specific injury. Some injuries just take time. 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Words said:

What surgery? There is no clear word of a specific injury. Some injuries just take time. 

At this point, he can father a child, pass on his knowledge and skills to him, wait until the kid is his age and let him play instead.   A week after this happens, we'd get an update saying "kebryan hayes (Sr.) Is ready to take some swings and should be ready to go early next week."

* sorry: pure frustration and nothing more.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

The Pirates strategy:

“Let’s purposefully throw this season so we can get first overall pick. AND THEN, we can draft a player with a projected draft position in the 7th-8th round, mark it up as a ‘hidden gem’ of the draft.

We obviously won’t sign this player though. Too much $$.”

Rinse and repeat. Trash organization.

7 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

guys he was never going to be back before june/july

There really was no information that supports this claim, but clearly the Pirates are obfuscating as much as possible. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Words said:

There really was no information that supports this claim, but clearly the Pirates are obfuscating as much as possible. 

Haha very meta moment as I used this word on the Vaughn thread the other day and got the ironic reply-

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

So props to kwelch for the reference I'll pass it on here b/c this thread needs a little levity. Cesare13's getting very dark in his imagery on the whole situation 😆

12 hours ago, Words said:

just judging by the injury and the lack of certainty from the pirates organization lead me to believe it was going to be awhile before he returned.

I think we were all kidding ourselves if we thought he was going to do the minimum stint on the DL

9 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

just judging by the injury and the lack of certainty from the pirates organization lead me to believe it was going to be awhile before he returned.

I think we were all kidding ourselves if we thought he was going to do the minimum stint on the DL

I am the most pessimistic person, possibly on the planet when it comes to baseball injuries on my fantasy team.  To me anything = season ending in my mind.  When I heard "x rays negative, mri negative....only a bit of swelling....might not even need an IL stint...."  even I was encouraged.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Words said:

I refuse to count on anything at this point. They have certainly been cautious enough. 

I have never hated the words cautious and precautionary more than I have this year.