New England Patriots 2021 Outlook

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Bucs last year?

If I was Bill I’d trade for Gardner minshew. 4th or 5th rounder to lock up the backup position.    patriots have a formidable defense. A guy like Minshew could manage the offense just fine with

I dont know why people want Garoppolo back. I dont even think hes that good and is super boring. Rather have Cam. 

Pats spamming TEs for 2021.  Guess with Cam's arm only able to make throws less than 10 yards downfield that Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry will share enough targets they both might reach low TE1 levels.  Gonna make them earn that $50mm guaranteed money between the 2 of them.

6 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

Bucs asking about White. Pats will probably have to ask for a lot if their gonna  help out Brady

He's a free agent. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BrianM said:

All these new guys and we'll probably still see Edelman lead the receiving stats with 65-950-7

Doubt it. Edelman aint gon be healthy till like the middle of the season from what ive heard.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, The G Man said:

When was the last time a team spent this kind of money in FA and it actually paid off?

The Bucs last year?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, The G Man said:

When was the last time a team spent this kind of money in FA and it actually paid off?

Patriots did it a few years ago and beat the Rams. Paying for Gilmore and some other players in FA.

It usually takes a combination of FA moves and good drafting to have a team contend.

On 3/16/2021 at 3:34 PM, SyNdicateZ said:

"Still need a real WR1 on the team IMO..."

Yeah, that would be big. But you gotta love what they've done so far. A lot of it addresses their short-zone offense. They traded OT Cannon to move up like 10 slots in the 4th, 5th & 6th rounds of the draft. My understanding is that it also frees up an additional $7M, perhaps to hopefully lure Andrews back. A team that had a lot of opt-outs, a lot of guys playing w/o a contract, no camp. Oh, and no Tom Brady. Yeah, but 30 other teams don't have him either & they're not whining, let's get over it. 

Their young TEs were both dual-duty prospects who now have some veteran leadership at the position. Already mentioned, the expectation is a lot of 2-TE sets. Smith, Bourne & Agholor are all coming off career best production.  Damien Harris? To hell with the spoon, ladle in mouth brother, ladle in mouth!!! lol

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, BMcP said:

The Bucs last year?

Man, my short term memory is shot.

Still don't see it happening in NE this season with Cam at QB, but stranger things have happened I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31173932/robert-kraft-says-new-england-patriots-changing-approach-nfl-draft-recent-misses-contributed-free-agent-spending-spree

"In the end, if you want to have a good, consistent, winning football team, you can't do it in free agency. You have to do it through the draft. I don't feel we've done the greatest job the last few years and I really hope, and I believe, I've seen a different approach this year," Kraft said Wednesday in his annual Q&A with reporters during the NFL's owners meeting.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31173932/robert-kraft-says-new-england-patriots-changing-approach-nfl-draft-recent-misses-contributed-free-agent-spending-spree

"In the end, if you want to have a good, consistent, winning football team, you can't do it in free agency. You have to do it through the draft. I don't feel we've done the greatest job the last few years and I really hope, and I believe, I've seen a different approach this year," Kraft said Wednesday in his annual Q&A with reporters during the NFL's owners meeting.

I can’t follow this logical Moebius-strip descent into madness.

51 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I can’t follow this logical Moebius-strip descent into madness.

The comment so nice you had to make it twice?

Actually I totally agree with Kraft, and I'm sort of relieved to see this kind of openness and honesty towards their own failings; and to see that there was a clear strategy behind the FA spending spree, not just Belichick going on eBay after a bottle of vodka.

Just now, Boudewijn said:

The comment so nice you had to make it twice?

Actually I totally agree with Kraft, and I'm sort of relieved to see this kind of openness and honesty towards their own failings; and to see that there was a clear strategy behind the FA spending spree, not just Belichick going on eBay after a bottle of vodka.

If it applies twice, so be it.

It smacks of desperation. All of that money and still they don't have anyone worth a flip at QB, the most important position on the team, and not exactly an overwhelming cast at the so-called skilled positions either. They'll be lucky to hit .500 and I doubt they do even that. 

1 minute ago, bomont said:

It smacks of desperation. All of that money and still they don't have anyone worth a flip at QB, the most important position on the team, and not exactly an overwhelming cast at the so-called skilled positions either. They'll be lucky to hit .500 and I doubt they do even that. 

Some QB’s will be available post-draft and during training camp.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:10 PM, NInsko said:

Seems like a good yr to draft their defence. I think they will get back to double digit wins on the strength of their D.

Love teams that add & it looks like they signed the core-type players they didn't have, or enough of them. That defense ranked 26th vs the run last year. The front seven is going to play better, as should the OL. I think their running game will be more effective & while a legit primary wasn't a player added, they still got Newton some quality veterans, especially at TE. 

Newton always had a tight or shortened delivery but appears more so after several shoulder surgeries. Looks labored at times but still effective. Still has the mobility to offset pressure up the gut & very good ball skills. I wish they'd scrap the poorly defended walk-ins, just have him be the QB. I think they're prepared to roll with him this year, but the question is whether they're going to go big for one of this year's top prospects. 

As devaster suggests, I think they pass on a mega reach and look into bringing back Garoppolo. As bad as things went they still won 7 games. Everyone knows that the vast majority of NFL games comes down to the last possession or two. Whether or not they win more games, who's to say? I really like what they've done, I think there's going to be a buzz around their facility & they're going to play better, on both sides of the ball. 

Edited by markrc99
1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

Love teams that add & it looks like they signed the core-type players they didn't have, or enough of them. That defense ranked 26th vs the run last year. The front seven is going to play better, as should the OL. I think their running game will be more effective & while a legit primary wasn't a player added, they still got Newton some quality veterans, especially at TE. 

Newton always had a tight or shortened delivery but appears more so after several shoulder surgeries. Looks labored at times but still effective. Still has the mobility to offset pressure up the gut & very good ball skills. I wish they'd scrap the poorly defended walk-ins, just have him be the QB. I think they're prepared to roll with him this year, but the question is whether they're going to go big for one of this year's top prospects. 

As devaster suggests, I think they pass on a mega reach and look into bringing back Garoppolo. As bad as things went they still won 7 games. Everyone knows that the vast majority of NFL games comes down to the last possession or two. Whether or not they win more games, who's to say? I really like what they've done, I think there's going to be a buzz around their facility & they're going to play better, on both sides of the ball. 

Yes, but people sometimes forget that it takes (2) teams to agree on a trade. Right now and before the draft, SF doesn't have motivation to trade Jimmy G. The question then becomes do the Patriots hold out hope that they will be able to trade for Jimmy G and not address QB through the draft? Because if they go into the draft with only Cam as the QB, I think they need to address QB in the draft and not cross their fingers that they'll get Garoppolo later.

Point is, they need to be proactive and find a QB because Cam is horrendous. As much as people want to blame Cam being so awful last year on a "lack of weapons" I would argue that when a QB is throwing it into the ground or airmailing throws, it doesn't really matter who's running the routes...

I'm just going to avoid drafting any Pats players again, except maybe Damien Harris. It's incredibly hard to trust any of the pass catchers and I don't think Cam is going to attempt nearly enough passes to make anyone a TE1 or WR2.

Edited by sSektor