NBC Sports Edge Forums

New England Patriots 2021 Outlook

On 3/18/2021 at 5:28 AM, markrc99 said:

Yeah, that would be big. But you gotta love what they've done so far. A lot of it addresses their short-zone offense. They traded OT Cannon to move up like 10 slots in the 4th, 5th & 6th rounds of the draft. My understanding is that it also frees up an additional $7M, perhaps to hopefully lure Andrews back. A team that had a lot of opt-outs, a lot of guys playing w/o a contract, no camp. Oh, and no Tom Brady. Yeah, but 30 other teams don't have him either & they're not whining, let's get over it. 

Their young TEs were both dual-duty prospects who now have some veteran leadership at the position. Already mentioned, the expectation is a lot of 2-TE sets. Smith, Bourne & Agholor are all coming off career best production.  Damien Harris? To hell with the spoon, ladle in mouth brother, ladle in mouth!!! lol

That s a thorough assessment, which i agree with!!

My train of thought is thatt he Pats are getting back their defensive leaders from covid opt outs in 2019 (chung, hightower, mccourtey) plus the additions in FA (judon, van noy etc)will boost their D back to what it was previous yrs(championship caliber).

Their offense was terrible last yr, like car wreck bad. i wont put that all on Newton, signed late no otas preseason etc. The oline was downgraded last yr and they might have had the worst WRs in the league. O line has been improved with Trent brown and the return of Cannon from covid. Bourne and Aghalor are not top wr but a huge upgrade plus the two TE's.. plus the draft is coming up.

All in all they won 7 games with one of the worst skilled teams on both sides of the ball in Belichicks career. I don't think it's crazy to think they could win 3-4 more games with all the returning core players as well as the additions made in Free agency.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Bucs last year?

If I was Bill I’d trade for Gardner minshew. 4th or 5th rounder to lock up the backup position.    patriots have a formidable defense. A guy like Minshew could manage the offense just fine with

I dont know why people want Garoppolo back. I dont even think hes that good and is super boring. Rather have Cam. 

Slight note: Chung retired and Cannon was traded.  That said, an additional 3-4 wins is certainly within reach, especially after their FA shopping spree.

• Like 1

I like Damien Harris as a talent but IDK about thinking buying a free agency dream team of marginally above mediocre players makes them something to be feared or a threat to Buffalo (wouldn't be so sure on them finishing above the Dolphins either)

Besides their OL (and Harris if my gut is right) I am not really confident in any of their position groups

Edited by mocha4313

This whole offense is still a wasteland, IMO. Harris is the most valuable for fantasy purposes, and he strikes me as a low upside borderline RB2/3 since Cam is the goal line back.

If I was Bill I’d trade for Gardner minshew. 4th or 5th rounder to lock up the backup position. 

patriots have a formidable defense. A guy like Minshew could manage the offense just fine without having to overpay for a more legit option. if Cam gets hurt or leaves next year.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If I was Bill I’d trade for Gardner minshew. 4th or 5th rounder to lock up the backup position. 

patriots have a formidable defense. A guy like Minshew could manage the offense just fine without having to overpay for a more legit option. if Cam gets hurt or leaves next year.

Agreed. He has had as much organizational incompetence and roster deficiency as Darnold and looked way way better.

His arm is pretty bad but head scratching why no other team has been willing to at least take a shot

• Like 1
18 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

JE11 Retires. Whos the next WR1 for the pats ?

Of this bunch, with Cam Newton "throwing" to them?  None of them.   The Pats and Jets seem to be having a contest about which team can have the worst offense in 2021 and even worse WR corps.  Not like the Pats are going to draft a superstar receiver either with all their needs and jonesing for a QB at the 1.15 spot if they don't pick defense.

• Like 1

I've been looking into Jarrett Stidham & found that he & Cam both played at Auburn and in the same or a very similar system. A run-based spread offense where much of the passing game was off play-action. Always back there in that semi-gun, never under center. Some no-huddle, that he wasn't asked to do much, a lot of one receiver & half field reads. A system, accordingly, that doesn't really prepare the QB for the next level. 

"What people don’t realize is Jarrett had as far to go mentally in terms of what he knew about football between college and pro as anybody I ever worked with,” said Palmer on Tom Curran’s Patriots Talk Podcast. "People don’t know this. Art Briles’ offense (at Baylor, where Stidham started his college career)? Basically nothing in it would help you play in the NFL. The way you read defenses ... I’m not saying it wasn’t prolific ... but none of it translates. "Gus Malzahn’s offense at Auburn (where Stidham spent one season before coming to New England) I think is even further from the NFL than Art Briles'. ... What they expect you to know at Auburn for offense is the furthest thing from NFL offenses. Then I think the Patriots offense is the most complex." https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/jarrett-stidham-realizes-its-put-or-shut-time-patriots

Seemingly, to get Garoppolo back would take forking over a 1st round pick & absorbing his $26M+ cap hit. After what I think has been a great offseason, New England could roll belly up to get a QB, any QB at any cost, perhaps not unlike what the 'niners have done, but I don't think so. I think they let the value come to them, if it does at all. I happen to like Davis Mills, his vertical passes remind me of Justin Herbert. Flawed I think, to view Patriot skill position players as worthless because Cam is a lock at QB. I think the leash is short & if he doesn't produce, Stidham gets his chance.   

Edited by markrc99
1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

I've been looking into Jarrett Stidham & found that he & Cam both played at Auburn and in the same or a very similar system. A run-based spread offense where much of the passing game was off play-action. Always back there in that semi-gun, never under center. Some no-huddle, that he wasn't asked to do much, a lot of one receiver & half field reads. A system, accordingly, that doesn't really prepare the QB for the next level. 

Seemingly, to get Garoppolo back would take forking over a 1st round pick & absorbing his $26M+ cap hit. After what I think has been a great offseason, New England could roll belly up to get a QB, any QB at any cost, perhaps not unlike what the 'niners have done, but I don't think so. I think they let the value come to them, if it does at all. I happen to like Davis Mills, his vertical passes remind me of Justin Herbert. Flawed I think, to view Patriot skill position players as worthless because Cam is a lock at QB. I think the leash is short & if he doesn't produce, Stidham gets his chance.   

Jarrett Stidham's going to be waiver wire fodder at some point this off season. I think the NE brain trust knows exactly what they've got based on last season's work of art, and that is not the proverbial Bird in the Hand

1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

Two things that will not happen in this universe: 1) Garoppolo returning a first round pick.  2) Stidham being a starting NFL QB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont know why people want Garoppolo back. I dont even think hes that good and is super boring. Rather have Cam. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

Two things that will not happen in this universe:... 2) Stidham being a starting NFL QB

What's the reasoning supporting your contention that Stidham isn't starter material? If he were it would've already happened? 

As much as I have to cringe at a non-ironic Art Briles reference - boo that man - I would be interested to see what Stidham has  as a starter.  He’s unfortunately been pinned into a backup role, perhaps prematurely.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

That's like choosing between a day old McDonalds cheeseburger that you pulled out of the fridge and have to nuke to make it even half-way eatable, and a ham and rye sandwich.

I'll let you decide which is which.

7 hours ago, BMcP said:

"As much as I have to cringe at a non-ironic Art Briles reference - boo that man - I would be interested to see what Stidham has as a starter. He’s unfortunately been pinned into a backup role, perhaps prematurely."

I don't follow the college game, so I don't have an opinion of these offenses Stidham played in. If these programs didn't prep him adequately enough, besides bouncing around he was also an early entry. From the material I have, he has the requisite size, arm strength & athleticism to succeed at the next level. Watching some of his tape from back then, very light on his feet through his climb in the pocket. doesn't possess that elite suddenness but can extend plays & is accurate on the move. Quick, over the top delivery, needs experience.   

"When veteran throwing coach Tom House appeared on NBC Sports’ Patriots Talk podcast earlier this week, his remarks about Patriots starting quarterback Cam Newton made most of the headlines. House, whose clients include, among others, Tom Brady, expressed confidence that Newton “will throw the football better this year” after a challenging 2020 season. However, he also spoke positively about another Patriots quarterback as well: third-year man Jarrett Stidham.

“His mechanics are pretty solid, and I’m sure that the decision makers with the organization recognize that,” said House about the former fourth-round draft selection. “He also looks like he has the mental capacity to handle it. Physically, I think he’s going to be fine. What he needs right now is just snaps under pressure. Just to see if he can compete. But as far as mechanics are concerned, he’s as good as there is out there.” https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/4/11/22378237/sunday-patriots-notes-jarrett-stidham-mechanics-quarterback-draft

"The coaching staff and ownership have continued to rave about the 2019 fourth-round pick, but his lack of playing time over his first two seasons really have us questioning his future. ... The careful manner in which Patriots have managed Stidham over his first two seasons in the league suggests they don’t really believe in his ability. Despite being raved about throughout last offseason, he ultimately lost the backup battle to veteran Brian Hoyer..." https://musketfire.com/2021/04/17/patriots-jarrett-stidham-future-if-first-round-quarterback-is-drafted/

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

I don't follow the college game, so I don't have an opinion of these offenses Stidham played in. If these programs didn't prep him adequately enough, besides bouncing around he was also an early entry. From the material I have, he has the requisite size, arm strength & athleticism to succeed at the next level. Watching some of his tape from back then, very light on his feet through his climb in the pocket. doesn't possess that elite suddenness but can extend plays & is accurate on the move. Quick, over the top delivery, needs experience.   

Sorry - I was referring to his moral compass only.  Carry on - I enjoy reading your analyses.

• Like 1
On 4/16/2021 at 5:33 PM, SyNdicateZ said:

Here here! I've always been a CAM fan so maybe i'm biased but Everyone knows that NE had one of the worst maybe after Edleman went down THE worst WR TE groups last yr

Re-signing White was big imo. Bourne and Aghalor are sneaky good plus Henry and Jonu, who knows ? maybe they draft a wr in the first rnd.

Cam could be a wicked value pick this yr.

We already know Cams gonna run like crazy, now the RPO will be much more effective with upgraded weapons. 

Edited by NInsko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, NInsko said:

"Here here! I've always been a CAM fan so maybe i'm biased but everyone knows that NE had one of the worst maybe after Edleman went down THE worst WR TE groups last yr. Re-signing White was big imo. Bourne and Aghalor are sneaky good plus Henry and Jonnu, who knows? Maybe they draft a wr in the first rd. Cam could be a wicked value pick this yr. ...

We already know Cam's gonna run like crazy, now the RPO will be much more effective with upgraded weapons." 

I really hope you're right, it really sucks that the team is lost because of not having one guy. That said, I've read a pff.com article dated July of last year stating that over the last three years Cam's short-zone accuracy ranked 41st. Conversely, Brady made a career of those swing routes to guys like James White, the seam route to Gronk & that shallow cross to Edelman, Amendola, Wes Welker & Troy Brown.  Jarrett Stidham, who possesses a number of traits that translate, may prove better suited. There's also the matter of them signing or drafting a 3rd QB        

On 4/17/2021 at 10:42 PM, NInsko said:

Here here! I've always been a CAM fan so maybe i'm biased but Everyone knows that NE had one of the worst maybe after Edleman went down THE worst WR TE groups last yr

With how poorly Cam did, it didn't matter who they had at skill positions. I don't understand how people defend Cam when he throws it at someone's feet or way over their head when they are less than 10ft away by saying it would be any different if they had more playmakers. Cam is a horrendous passer at this stage of his career (he honestly has always been a poor passer, but that's a whole other topic).

I honestly think Stidham would be a better option this season for the offense.