NBC Sports Edge Forums

New England Patriots 2021 Outlook

On 4/16/2021 at 5:33 PM, SyNdicateZ said:

I dont know why people want Garoppolo back. I dont even think hes that good and is super boring. Rather have Cam. 

Because if he's on the field he's a million times better option than Cam Newton...Do you really not know why people would prefer Garoppolo to Newton?

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Bucs last year?

If I was Bill I’d trade for Gardner minshew. 4th or 5th rounder to lock up the backup position.    patriots have a formidable defense. A guy like Minshew could manage the offense just fine with

I dont know why people want Garoppolo back. I dont even think hes that good and is super boring. Rather have Cam. 

22 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Because if he's on the field he's a million times better option than Cam Newton...Do you really not know why people would prefer Garoppolo to Newton?

They both stink and are taking the Patriots nowhere

Jimmy G couldn't close the deal with a roster far more talented than the current Patriots (honestly even more talented than the Chiefs)

Trade up for a QB is the only way to give the team a direction

35 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

With how poorly Cam did, it didn't matter who they had at skill positions. I don't understand how people defend Cam when he throws it at someone's feet or way over their head when they are less than 10ft away by saying it would be any different if they had more playmakers. Cam is a horrendous passer at this stage of his career (he honestly has always been a poor passer, but that's a whole other topic).

I honestly think Stidham would be a better option this season for the offense.

CAM had his 2nd highest compeltion % of his Career lasy year at 65.8% , 0.01% better than Brady last yr and 5% better than Brady in his final year as a Patriot. Where they were horrible on offence but still made the Playoffs.

Last yr the team was gutted from opt outs and free agency. Previous to him getting Covid he was playing well 2-1 Record and could have been 3-0 but was shut down on the GL vs Seattle in the final moments. In those games he didnt light it up in the air but had 6 total TD and 2 inteceptions, while running the ball like maybe never before.

I'm not saying Edleman tanked his season, but it didn't help to lose his only viable WR. Cams arm strength has declined since his shoulder injury. Previous to that he has always made garbage WR into viable options but at this point in his career he needs good weapons to make up the difference for lost physical  abillity at least thats my opinion, New England looks to have done that with Agholor Bourne Jonu and Henry.. i don't expect MVP Cam but if he can maintain his competion % to where it was last season with the offensive additions i think he will improve not to mention more time learning the playbook and having a full offseason.

Edited by NInsko
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, NInsko said:

CAM had his 2nd highest compeltion % of his Career lasy year at 65.8% , 0.01% better than Brady last yr and 5% better than Brady in his final year as a Patriot. Where they were horrible on offence but still made the Playoffs.

Last yr the team was gutter from opt outs and free agency. Previous to him getting Covid he was playing well 2-1 Record with 6 total TD and 2 inteceptions, while running the ball like maybe never before.

I'm not saying Edleman tanked his season, but it didn't help to lose his only viable WR. Cams arm strength has declined since his shoulder injury. Previous to that he has always made garbage WR into viable options but at this point in his career he needs good weapons to make up the difference for lost physical  abillity at least thats my opinion, New England looks to have done that with Agholor Bourne Jonu and Henry.. i don't expect MVP Cam but if he can maintain his competion % to where it was last season with the offensive additions i think he will improve not to mention more time learning the playbook and having a full offseason.

Can supporters continue to beat the same drum while ignoring so many important components. Completion percentage doesn't tell the full story when talking about a QB's accuracy, man. Context is important here...

Based on your take, a QB is accurate if he throws to a WR who has to then leap while stretching their body into the air with arms fully extended in order to make the catch. Because hey, it counts positively toward the completion percentage right? Putting Newton in the same breath as Brady when it comes to accuracy is just silly.

Cam will continue to throw balls into the ground, not be able to make any short/intermediate throws, but pad his completion percentage by completing pointless screen after screen (which is EXACTLY what happened last year).

PS, when he does complete a pass, the receiver isn't typically in a good position for YAC, but hey who cares about that since his completion percentage is up, right?

Do you watch the games or are you just going off box score?

Edited by ThreadKiller
16 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

They both stink and are taking the Patriots nowhere

Jimmy G couldn't close the deal with a roster far more talented than the current Patriots (honestly even more talented than the Chiefs)

Trade up for a QB is the only way to give the team a direction

LOL. This cracks me up. If Jimmy G makes ONE throw, this isn't even a conversation. All QBs come up short at times, even #12. Jimmy Garoppolo would be BY FAR a better option at QB for the Patriots in 2021 than Cam Newton could dream to be.

Trading up for a QB is the best way to set the team up for long term success, but to claim Garoppolo wouldn't be better than Newton is just nonsense.

Edited by ThreadKiller
3 minutes ago, NInsko said:

C'mon man i dont think passing % is be all and end all im just pointing it out..

But it's irrelevant, though.

I said he was an inaccurate passer and you retorted with a completion percentage trying to prove me wrong. When you have all the data and context in front of you, it's inarguable that Newton was an inaccurate passer last season. Only those biased towards Newton would try to debate that.

Just now, ThreadKiller said:

I said he was an inaccurate passer and you retorted with a completion percentage trying to prove me wrong. When you have all the data and context in front of you, it's inarguable that Newton was an inaccurate passer last season. Only those biased towards Newton would try to debate that.

I already stated im a little biased far less than your disdain for Cam.. I'd say its a relivant stat if you look at his career he was normally in the high 50s. His first yr with norvTurner  in Carolina wich they were dominating before Cams injury and his first yr in NE he connected on a 10% higher rate probably adjusting his game ala dump offs and shorter passes as you mentioned.. 

Again I dont think MVP Cam is returning but can he lead New England into the playoffs with a total team upgrade on both sides of the ball.. Yeah i think thats possible.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

LOL. This cracks me up. If Jimmy G makes ONE throw, this isn't even a conversation. All QBs come up short at times, even #12. Jimmy Garoppolo would be BY FAR a better option at QB for the Patriots in 2021 than Cam Newton could dream to be.

Trading up for a QB is the best way to set the team up for long term success, but to claim Garoppolo wouldn't be better than Newton is just nonsense.

It's not that one throw

Shanahan essentially did not trust Garoppolo whatsoever. He dumbed the playbook down to only short one read throws over the middle and anytime he had to create more than that he flopped. The only time Jimmy G "led" that niners team to anything was the Saints game--before coming up short the only time he was asked to do anything special

He cannot drive the ball accurately outside the hashmarks--hence why the Niners offense is designed the way it is instead of the Falcons of 2016 with Matt Ryan slinging the ball around the field and breaking records

It's not just long term success--I'd take the shot of a rookie QB on a rookie deal over a Jimmy G costing a day 2 pick any day--even for next year

As for Cam in a vacuum sure Jimmy G is better. Cam with actual NFL caliber weapons instead of NKeal+2nd round draft pick though? Yeah I'm open to upgrading to a difference maker--no Jimmy G on a far fatter contract is not that

• Like 2
17 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Yeah Cam isn't a great QB but arguing that's the major source of NE offensive woes is overlooking reality.  Their QB is only borderline starter quality but their other skill players aren't even that.  Unless / until NE gets some better talent all across the offense then Cam is the perfect fit since he's dirt cheap and saves cap space for later once they actually have reason to spend money on a better QB.  Blaming Cam is like blaming the engine in this car for why it doesn't win races. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
On 4/19/2021 at 3:54 PM, ThreadKiller said:

lol.

• Haha 1

Any QB with the "weapons" Cam had last year would have had a bad  year IMO. Garoppolo woulda looked like crap too. 

I dunno...I just like having Cam and like the swag he brings. heh

Edited by SyNdicateZ
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Any QB with the "weapons" Cam had last year would have had a bad  year IMO. Garoppolo woulda looked like crap too. 

Watching Cam attempt to throw to the right side of the field last season was painful. Maybe he somehow corrects it in the offseason but I doubt it. 

16 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Yes, but there is a difference between a "bad year" and a "horrendous year". Cam had a horrendous year and many of the issues he had wouldn't change no matter what "weapons" they have. He threw the ball at the turf a lot when a guy was open. That has literally nothing to do with who is playing WR/TE and everything to do with Cam's inability to throw the ball effectively.

Are you arguing that Garoppolo would have done no better than Cam Newton did last year when it comes to playing QB?

2 hours ago, sSektor said:

Watching Cam attempt to throw to the right side of the field last season was painful. Maybe he somehow corrects it in the offseason but I doubt it. 

Correct. I don't understand how some blame that on lack of weapons. Did lack of weapons play a role in his horrendous season? Of course. But let's be real here.

WR wide open 8 yards away, Cam throws it into the dirt. or sails it way over his head. Cam promotors then respond with the "excuse" "but, but, but, but, he doesn't have good weapons!"

10 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Patriots linked to Julio Jones trade report rumor.

Wait wait wait, that isn't even a rumour - that's just an analyst thinking out loud.

This seems to be the root (which was then copied by everyone needing a story to fill the void before the draft):
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/26/2021-nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king/

I can’t predict any bombshells. But a few things would not surprise me. Most notably, the Falcons putting the framework of a trade together for star wideout Julio Jones, and making the trade effective June 2. That way, Atlanta could split Jones’ cap charge between 2021 and 2022 instead of getting bashed with it all this year. So if such a trade happens, I expect it could involve a future pick or picks, nothing this year. (A future second-round pick as compensation seems fair to me.) Because such a trade wouldn’t be official till June, no picks in this draft could be involved. As for the interested team or teams, I would guess Las Vegas; Jon Gruden couldn’t resist Antonio Brown, and I doubt he could resist Julio Jones. New England too, and a couple of teams with clear receiver needs—Tennessee and Baltimore.

Com'on man.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I personally think this was always Belichick's intention. Let's see if it actually happens though.

I wouldn't believe any news that comes out the day before the draft. Could it be true, well maybe yes maybe no, but personally I'd just ignore this for now.

1 minute ago, Joe Mama said:

I wouldn't believe any news that comes out the day before the draft. Could it be true, well maybe yes maybe no, but personally I'd just ignore this for now.

Yeah, I don't disagree much. This just happens to be news that would be completely logical to me.