NBC Sports Edge Forums

How high is the ceiling here?

Malcolm Brown is gone. Darrell Henderson is probably best suited as a change of pace option. 

Matt Stafford could elevate this offense to levels we haven't seen since the GSOT days.

Sean McVay's all in: "Really, I think he's an every-down back. I think he's a special player."

Easy RB1 in redraft next season, top 5 RB for dynasty. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

How high is the ceiling here?

Malcolm Brown is gone. Darrell Henderson is probably best suited as a change of pace option. 

Matt Stafford could elevate this offense to levels we haven't seen since the GSOT days.

Sean McVay's all in: "Really, I think he's an every-down back. I think he's a special player."

Easy RB1 in redraft next season, top 5 RB for dynasty. 

I like his potential, and he may end up a RB1 in 2021. But I wouldn't call him an easy RB1 in redrafts or a top 5 RB for dynasty. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I have no qualms calling him an easy RB1 in redrafts - with a top-5 ceiling.

I may have different standard for "easy RB1". I don't have many of those on my list. But I've been a big Akers fan since before the draft...just needed a decent OL. I'd put Akers on the "probable RB1" list. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 3
10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I may have different standard for "easy RB1". I don't have many of those on my list. But I've been a big Akers fan since before the draft...just needed a decent OL. I'd put Akers on the "probable RB1" list. 

Haha!  Yes, moving from arguably the absolute worst line in the FBS to arguably a top-three NFL line on the Rams will work wonders for your output.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Evincar said:

I would take him easily over guys like Sanders, Mixon, and Jacobs.

Jacobs yes. Probably Sanders. As for Mixon, I'd rather reserve judgment until I see how Cincy addresses the OL and how Burrow's rehab is going. 

6 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I'd put Akers on the "probable RB1" list. 

As a careful Dynasty owner I put him on the "possible RB1" list. His numbers at the end of the season were in that area, but the start of the next season usually looks pretty different. Let's see.

• Like 1
On 3/17/2021 at 1:40 PM, Flyman75 said:

Jacobs yes. Probably Sanders. As for Mixon, I'd rather reserve judgment until I see how Cincy addresses the OL and how Burrow's rehab is going. 

Im a big Mixon fan but I get the feeling he never becomes anything more than a low-end RB1. He's turning 25 and should have broken out already. If Cincy does upgrade the OL and Burrow is 100% it will be the best offense he's been in but I dont feel like waiting much longer.

Akers is already in a great situation and assuming he's the workhorse he has top 5 potential this season.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2021 at 12:57 AM, NInsko said:

Im with you Id toss in Ekler and Elliot. Akers is must have imo. Hoping I draft late round and get a Combo of Aaron jones/Akers or Taylor/Akers 

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2021/3/23/22347156/rams-rb-cam-akers-do-in-2021

FWIW

Um no....there is no way I'm taking him over Ekler in ppr.

14 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Um no....there is no way I'm taking him over Ekler in ppr.

Umm.. yes! lol. 

My original league is standard so i'm ranking him in that fashion even still i'd take Akers over Ekler in PPR. I can envision a "prime Gurley" type season from if he stays healthy. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, NInsko said:

Umm.. yes! lol. 

My original league is standard so i'm ranking him in that fashion even still i'd take Akers over Ekler in PPR. I can envision a "prime Gurley" type season from if he stays healthy. 

I agree and I love Ekeler.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BMcP said:

I agree and I love Ekeler.

I think you guys are nuts. 

Do you realize who the Chargers Offensive Coordinator is now?  It's Joe Lombardi.  Joe FREAKIN Lombardi!!  This is the guy who turned Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, and Alvin Kamara into PPR monsters. 

Again, while I like Akers alot, in a full point ppr format, there is no way I'm taking him over Ekeler gents.  ;)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

I think you guys are nuts. 

Do you realize who the Chargers Offensive Coordinator is now?  It's Joe Lombardi.  Joe FREAKIN Lombardi!!  This is the guy who turned Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, and Alvin Kamara into PPR monsters. 

Again, while I like Akers alot, in a full point ppr format, there is no way I'm taking him over Ekeler gents.  ;)

Not sure if serious:

Darren Sproles became a PPR monster on the Chargers - long before he joined the Saints.  Where JFL was a QBs coach.  Like he was during Kamara’s career.  I won’t touch on his last stint as OC in Detroit.

While we don’t know what to expect this season, we do know that Lynn used Ekeler to full effect as a receiver.  Now that he’s gone, I’m not certain enough in his role to elevate him over Akers, who showed his coaches/teammates/fans that he was utterly capable of excelling as a workhorse - running behind an elite line in an improved offense under Stafford.

29 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Not sure if serious:

Darren Sproles became a PPR monster on the Chargers - long before he joined the Saints.  Where JFL was a QBs coach.  Like he was during Kamara’s career.  I won’t touch on his last stint as OC in Detroit.

While we don’t know what to expect this season, we do know that Lynn used Ekeler to full effect as a receiver.  Now that he’s gone, I’m not certain enough in his role to elevate him over Akers, who showed his coaches/teammates/fans that he was utterly capable of excelling as a workhorse - running behind an elite line in an improved offense under Stafford.

Negative Ghost Rider Sproles was not a PPR monster on the Chargers long before he joined the Saints.

Here are his numbers on the Chargers:

2005 - 8-50; 3-10; 0 TDs   

2007 - 37-164 2TDs; 10-31 0TDs 

2008 - 61-330 1TD; 29-342 5TDs

2009 - 93-342 3TDs; 45-497 4TDs

2010 - 51-270 0TDs; 59-520 0TDs

His best year was 2009 and that wasn't a monster year. 

Now do you really really want me to post his Saints numbers starting in 2011 in comparison to show you the dramatic spike in production?

Do you really want me to do this?

3 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Negative Ghost Rider Sproles was not a PPR monster on the Chargers long before he joined the Saints.

2005 - 8-50; 3-10; 0 TDs   

Now do you really really want me to post his Saints numbers starting in 2011 in comparison to show you the dramatic spike in production?

I’ll spare you the trouble and agree he performed a lot better with the Saints.  Maybe “monster” is too subjective a term to quibble with.  But what makes you think it was Lombardi masterminding these Saints offenses?  Honest question - he was an assistant/QB coach during his tenure with that team.  Why does he deserve credit for unlocking some hidden potential in their RBs - as opposed to, say, such folks as their HC, OC or RBs coach?

Can we at least agree he wasn’t calling plays for the Saints during those years?  And that his focus was on coaching future HOFer Drew Brees?  And that his tenure as an OC didn’t go so well?

14 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I’ll spare you the trouble and agree he performed a lot better with the Saints.  Maybe “monster” is too subjective a term to quibble with.  But what makes you think it was Lombardi masterminding these Saints offenses?  Honest question - he was an assistant/QB coach during his tenure with that team.  Why does he deserve credit for unlocking some hidden potential in their RBs - as opposed to, say, such folks as their HC, OC or RBs coach?

Can we at least agree he wasn’t calling plays for the Saints during those years?  And that his focus was on coaching future HOFer Drew Brees?  And that his tenure as an OC didn’t go so well?

Ok then let's leave Lombardi out of the equation for a minute. 

Are you aware of the production Ekeler had last year (despite being injured) and that Herbert is the new check-down magnet king in the NFL?  Do I need to post the numbers?

Also there is no-one currently that's going to take snaps away from Ekeler while we don't know for sure how much love Henderson will get.  

Also, more than likely the Chargers will be in more negative game scripts than the Rams. 

19 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

2005 - 8-50; 3-10; 0 TDs   

You do know that all but one of those years he shared the backfield with all world HOFer LT.

Do you want me to post LTs stats alongside sproles stats showing why his are so low to start his career and progressivly get better as LTs decline? 

Sproles was great, always. He just had tougher competition and less opportunity in San Diego. He prob decided to go to the saintsnin free agencey because of the opportunity and scheme fit.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NInsko said:

You do know that all but one of those years he shared the backfield with all world HOFer LT.

Do you want me to post LTs stats alongside sproles stats showing why his are so low to start his career and progressivly get better as LTs decline? 

Sproles was great, always. He just had tougher competition and less opportunity in San Diego. He prob decided to go to the saintsnin free agencey because of the opportunity and scheme fit.

Not denying anything you just stated but it still doesn't change the assertion he was better with the Chargers long before being with the Saints now does it?  ;)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Ok then let's leave Lombardi out of the equation for a minute. 

Are you aware of the production Ekeler had last year (despite being injured) and that Herbert is the new check-down magnet king in the NFL?  Do I need to post the numbers?

Also there is no-one currently that's going to take snaps away from Ekeler while we don't know for sure how much love Henderson will get.  

Also, more than likely the Chargers will be in more negative game scripts than the Rams. 

Yes - and while Ekeler’s reception total was quite great, it doesn’t qualify as “monster” apparently - upon switching from Mr. Check-Down to Herbert, Ekeler’s targets dropped from an absurd 108 to 65 - almost half as many (despite two additional starts).

And why not?  Herbert was spectacular targeting his receivers down the field - especially under pressure.  I’d need some verification on your claim that Herbert is the new reigning check-down king - that doesn’t sound plausible at all.  And we still have no idea who is going to comprise the RB corps for the team.  But Ekeler’s inability to get even an entire full season of starts under his belt doesn’t bode well in an extended season.

My point, though, has less to do with Ekeler as a player and more to do with the following: 1) Lynn and Steichen’s departure creates uncertainty surrounding the nature of the offensive scheme; and 2) Akers showed he could handle an every-down role on a superior offense.

• Like 1
Just now, theSPANKER said:

Not denying anything you just stated but it still doesn't change the assertion he was better with the Chargers long before being with the Saints now does it?  ;)

You are correct. My bad. 

I view Akers as a workhorse.  i dont view Ekler as a workhorse and wont be surprised if they draft someone next month

• Like 3