NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 minute ago, NInsko said:

You are correct. My bad. 

I view Akers as a workhorse.  i dont view Ekler as a workhorse and wont be surprised if they draft someone next month

Which is precisely why I said "currently" there is no one to take significant snaps away from him.  And in PPR you don't need to be a workhorse in the traditionally sense to put up monster numbers.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Which is precisely why I said "currently" there is no one to take significant snaps away from him.  And in PPR you don't need to be a workhorse in the traditionally sense to put up monster numbers.  

Right now as it stands with no  competition for Ekler I'd  take Akers in all formats. I feel he's superior at football and on a better offence. I understand PPR, Played for the first time last year won a chip.

Edited by NInsko
3 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

I am still trying to understand what’s “nuts” about preferring Akers to a player who averaged slightly over 11 carries per start and ended up scoring one rushing TD in a season with the best rookie QB in league history.  Who now has to learn a new scheme and has never proven durable enough to last an entire season.  

I mean, disagree and have at it - but it can’t be nuts to prefer Akers, can it?

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yes - and while Ekeler’s reception total was quite great, it doesn’t qualify as “monster” apparently - upon switching from Mr. Check-Down to Herbert, Ekeler’s targets dropped from an absurd 108 to 65 - almost half as many (despite two additional starts).

And why not?  Herbert was spectacular targeting his receivers down the field - especially under pressure.  I’d need some verification on your claim that Herbert is the new reigning check-down king - that doesn’t sound plausible at all.  And we still have no idea who is going to comprise the RB corps for the team.  But Ekeler’s inability to get even an entire full season of starts under his belt doesn’t bode well in an extended season.

My point, though, has less to do with Ekeler as a player and more to do with the following: 1) Lynn and Steichen’s departure creates uncertainty surrounding the nature of the offensive scheme; and 2) Akers showed he could handle an every-down role on a superior offense.

Lets wait and see if the Chargers take a RB in the first few rounds of the draft. I haven't really looked at the Chargers most pressing positional needs. 

Don't get me wrong, I do like Akers alot but in a full point ppr format Ekeler is money.   

2 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Lets wait and see if the Chargers take a RB in the first few rounds of the draft. I haven't really looked at the Chargers most pressing positional needs. 

Don't get me wrong, I do like Akers alot but in a full point ppr format Ekeler is money.   

They just handed him four years and $24.5M about a year ago, so I hope (for their sake and ours) they don’t draft an early RB.  I’m normally all about RBs that are excellent receivers - and Ekeler is elite there - but I think Akers’s ceiling and floor are considerably higher in 2021.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I am still trying to understand what’s “nuts” about preferring Akers to a player who averaged slightly over 11 carries per start and ended up scoring one rushing TD in a season with the best rookie QB in league history.  Who now has to learn a new scheme and has never proven durable enough to last an entire season.  

I mean, disagree and have at it - but it can’t be nuts to prefer Akers, can it?

Didn't Ekeler play the entire season as recent in 2019 when he put up monster numbers? I'll have to check, but I don't recall durability being an issue with him. I mean all RBs get hurt. Akers got hurt last year too. 

Let me ask you, and I don't know if you play in ppr formats, what round would you take Ekeler in provided the Chargers don't bring in anyone to take significant snaps away from him.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Didn't Ekeler play the entire season as recent in 2019 when he put up monster numbers? I'll have to check, but I don't recall durability being an issue with him. I mean all RBs get hurt. Akers got hurt last year too. 

Let me ask you, and I don't know if you play in ppr formats, what round would you take Ekeler in provided the Chargers don't bring in anyone to take significant snaps away from him.

Only PPR - I left standard behind quite awhile ago.  Second round sounds right in that scenario.  (Ekeler started eight games in 2019, in Gordon’s absence.  My reference to durability related to his not yet proving able to handle a starter’s workload for a full season.)

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 2
Just now, BMcP said:

Only PPR - I left standard behind quite awhile ago.  Second round sounds right in that scenario.

Okay, I skipped out playing last year because of Covid and didn't want to go through the headache of managing my league.  Admittedly I didn't watch Akers play so I'll take your word on his potential for this season. 

• Like 3

This was Akers " Breakout" game, he does everything including catch the ball(ppr). I know this is just one game but it shows how the Rams can and possibly want to use him in 2021. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, theSPANKER said:

Okay, I skipped out playing last year because of Covid and didn't want to go through the headache of managing my league.  Admittedly I didn't watch Akers play so I'll take your word on his potential for this season. 

I’m now afraid to even suggest this, but just check out a couple of his EOS/playoff games - it might just change your mind!

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

I’m now afraid to even suggest this, but just check out a couple of his EOS/playoff games - it might just change your mind!

Okay thanks! and BTW appreciate you guys for giving me feedback.  I may need more from you prior to the start of the season to make sure I'm not overvaluing/undervaluing players.

I have missed playing a season for the last 18 years but missing the 2020 season makes me feel uneasy going into my draft this year.   

• Like 3
Just now, theSPANKER said:

Okay thanks! and BTW appreciate you guys for giving me feedback.  I may need more from you prior to the start of the season to make sure I'm not overvaluing/undervaluing players.

I have missed playing a season for the last 18 years but missing the 2020 season makes me feel uneasy going into my draft this year.   

Opps haven't missed

5 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

I don’t think you’re alone - by any stretch!  That’s what we’re here for - lay on the questions.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, theSPANKER said:

Guys have to ask out of curiosity, do you like Akers over Elliot this year?

Tough one - about even for me.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

"Guys have to ask out of curiosity, do you like Akers over Elliot this year?"

Mike McCarthy & balance... "barely" is the word that comes to mind for me. Given that there's also the matter of mileage, Zeke isn't a sure RB1, imo. But w/o Drew Brees I'm uncertain that Alvin Kamara is worthy of a 1st rd pick as well. I also agree with much of the counter pertaining to Austin Ekeler. Went undrafted, his height/weight ratio places well outside the margin, better suited to be a down & distance guy. Got a crack at volume when he low-balled himself & they forked over money intended for Gordon. Could be wrong but I have all three of them coming off boards too soon. 

Conversely, Cam Akers was a top recruit at the collegiate level & a top prospect in a deep class this past year. He's not the load of a young Todd Gurley, Sa Barkley or Zeke Elliott, although he does finish. For those reasons I'm not as sure about him long-term, but for this year he could be exactly what others here are suggesting. The problem I have with taking him that high (late 1st/2nd) is the view that Matthew Stafford is an upgrade that translates favorably for the run game. In my estimation there are three types of QBs, the passer/system (Rodgers, Brady, MaHomes), game-managers (Cousins, Foles, Garoppolo) and the gun-slingers (Rivers, Fitzpatrick). I view Stafford as among that latter group.

Cooter's offense was suppose to exploit Stafford's strengths & afforded him full command of the offense. Accordingly, his career passer-rating is less than 90. Parts of his game that needed work when he came out were the same things written about several years back. His lackadaisical delivery on RB/TE screens, leading his receivers & aggressively forcing throws. His new coach displayed little to no confidence in Kirk Cousins ability to get the offense in the right play, nor that of Jared Goff. McVay is all about balance & if he gets Stafford to buy in, Akers will do very well.

That said, in leagues that permit trading, I'd be inclined to trade back to the late middle of the round & roll with Swift or Gibson, along with moving up 5, 6 slots in the 3rd round. 

• Like 1
On 3/27/2021 at 11:12 PM, theSPANKER said:

Yes because he is not fat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 3/28/2021 at 2:12 AM, theSPANKER said:

I'll take Akers. He's younger, faster and on a better team. He averaged 24 carries/targets per game once he took over last yr plus playoffs. I like opportunity and this guys gonna get it. 

That's not saying I think Elliots trash. This could be the best year to draft him with his depressed draft price. With Dak he was pretty fricken good also averaging 24 carries/targets per game and scoring 6(in 5games) of his seasons 8 tds. 

I know Dallas kinda tossed in the towel after Dak got hurt but Elliot even with Dak only went over 100 yards rushing twice last yr while Akers went over 100 yards twice in 6 games including the playoffs. Just something i noticed i thought i'd toss in. 

I have them ranked 9.Akers 10.Elliot. 

Edited by NInsko
  • 2 weeks later...

Top 2021 Fantasy football picks

The model is extremely high on Rams running back Cam Akers. The second-year pro from Florida State turned in a respectable rookie season in Los Angeles, gaining 625 yards on 145 carries and scoring two touchdowns in 13 regular-season games. He also shined in the playoffs, rushing for 131 yards and a touchdown against the Seahawks in the Wild Card Round and then torching the Packers for 90 yards and a rushing score in the NFC Divisional Playoffs.

Akers emerged from a running back committee late in the regular season and is now primed to be the top back in Los Angeles as the eventual replacement for former Ram Todd Gurley. Akers also proved he could catch passes out of the backfield, hauling in 11 of 14 targets for 123 yards and a touchdown during the regular season and catching three more balls for 51 yards in the playoffs. SportsLine's model is high on Akers, ranking him as a top-10 running back for 2021 after he finished No. 43 at his position in standard Fantasy leagues last season.

This is from SportsLine's advanced computer model it simulated the entire 2021 NFL season 10,000 times .

I havent bought their service but for the past two seasons ive been keeping track of their blurbs and have to say the breakout, sleepers busts etc that they release are very accurate

• Like 3