NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cam Akers 2021 Outlook

20 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Dynasty startup and best ball.

4 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Eh, they can get injured week 1. It's all six one half dozen the other, I mean I wouldn't if it were my ONLY  league but like I do 5 leagues and one is early. Sometimes it's just playing the cards as they fall.

Still. Most starters play the whole first half in the 3rd preseason games. Playing fantasy football, you can avoid situations like this if you draft later.

10 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Still. Most starters play the whole first half in the 3rd preseason games. Playing fantasy football, you can avoid situations like this if you draft later.

I get ya and prefer to draft later as well, however it's all still a hit or miss with injuries and that's part of the game,  now akers owners gotta be savvy and find a replacement , that type of loss isn't a death sentence in fantasy and that's what makes it fun still but I agree, the later the better 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Anyone have info on x jones and the 7th rounder they drafted??

This sucks.

They'll signing another RB, probably a vet. John Kelly was a popular sleeper a couple of years ago and he barely saw the field.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Rams "don't have any immediate plans to pursue a free agent running back."

Schefter noted that the Rams like what they have with Henderson and Xavier Jones, a UDFA the team signed last year. Henderson was a dominant runner in college, hitting 1,909 yards in his junior season. He also averaged over 20 receptions per year in his three outings at Memphis. A former third-round selection, Henderson has the pedigree and potential role to flirt with RB1 numbers if the Rams don't sign a notable veteran. Jones is a powerful runner who found the end zone 23 times during his senior season at SMU and could be in the mix for work on early downs. The Rams also selected Maryland's Jake Funk in the seventh round of the 2021 NFL Draft. Funk never topped 60 carries in a single collegiate season and should be expected to start his pro career as a special teams player.

Jul 20, 2021, 12:43 PM ET

21 minutes ago, Evincar said:

They'll signing another RB, probably a vet. John Kelly was a popular sleeper a couple of years ago and he barely saw the field.

I still say John Kelly looked good every time I saw him play... Okay, I'm ready to let it go.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

AWFUL. I was going to target him in every draft. He was that dynamic last year and clearly McVay loved him. Feel so bad for him. What's the prognosis for Achilles recovery among running backs? Not too good I assume 😥

He's super young & now has over a year for recovery. He could be 100% for next season but you never know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, smeeze said:

He's super young & now has over a year for recovery. He could be 100% for next season but you never know.

This. Most Achilles injuries happen to people 30+ in age which is part of why you often see significant performance declines after but if you tear it when young, your chances of returning 100% are much better. Guys who have done this in recent NFL memory are Demaryius Thomas, Michael Crabtree, Leon Hall (he ended up tearing both, eventually).

Edited by trilly

1 minute ago, trilly said:

This. Most Achilles injuries happen to people 30+ in age which is part of why you often see significant performance declines, but if you tear it when young, your chances of returning 100% are much better. Guys who have done this in recent NFL memory are Demaryius Thomas, Michael Crabtree, Leon Hall (he ended up tearing both, unfortunately).

You also can't discount what platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections can do for recoveries. They used to be illegal in the States (why Peyton Manning went to Germany for injections in his neck & countless other athletes travelling to Europe to get procedures done) but they're now super common & Akers will almost surely be getting them. 100% recovery for next season wouldn't shock me at all.

1 minute ago, smeeze said:

You also can't discount what platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections can do for recoveries. They used to be illegal in the States (why Peyton Manning went to Germany for injections in his neck & countless other athletes travelling to Europe to get procedures done) but they're now super common & Akers will almost surely be getting them. 100% recovery for next season wouldn't shock me at all.

PRP would be unlikely to help much with a torn Achilles - it's used to create an inflammation response in joints to promote healing (mainly cartilage or ligament damage). Your broader point remains in that he will have all of the best resources available and should have a good outlook for recovery.

He suffered a couple injuries last year and now this, so it's reasonable to worry/wonder about his durability IMO. 

• Like 2

Speaking Tuesday following the news that Cam Akers has suffered a season-ending torn Achilles' tendon, Rams coach Sean McVay said the team is not currently looking to sign a veteran running back. 

"I don't know that veteran route is something we'll rule out, but it's not something we're looking at right now," was McVay's exact quote. This, of course, can hardly be taken as gospel that the Rams won't add a veteran back, but it's not surprising they are going the in-house route for now. The Rams have seemed skeptical that Darrell Henderson can operate as a true starting back, but he rebounded splendidly in 2020 from his forgettable rookie campaign. He is capable of making plays on all three downs. Behind Henderson, the Rams have Raymond Calais and seventh-round rookie Jake Funk. In other words, not exactly the cavalry. McVay could quickly decide he needs a veteran complement. Don't count on it being Todd Gurley. That ship long ago sailed. Adrian Peterson will almost certainly at least generate some internal discussion in Los Angeles. 

Jul 20, 2021, 2:44 PM ET

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Yup and modern medicine means he should be able to make 100% recovery. It's only July, he should easily ready for 2022. Still a sad situation, but have to remain positive that time is on his side. 

27 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

Yup and modern medicine means he should be able to make 100% recovery. It's only July, he should easily ready for 2022. Still a sad situation, but have to remain positive that time is on his side. 

I saw a list of rb's trying to comeback from this.  It wasn't pretty.  But who knows.

6 hours ago, Dylanfan66 said:

I saw a list of rb's trying to comeback from this.  It wasn't pretty.  But who knows.

The only young promising RB that I remember tearing their achilles recently was D'Onta Foreman in his rookie year. I think he's still in the league but hasn't had much opportunity since.

6 hours ago, Silent-Trader said:

Maybe, but modern medicine doesn't have a track record or a good one with Achilles injuries to RB's. None have ever come back and been effective that weren't already over the hill. There have been some other position players that have come back and remained effective, but not RB.

Right now it is a death sentence. But he is probably one of the most talented and youngest to suffer that type of injury at the RB position. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

AWFUL. I was going to target him in every draft. He was that dynamic last year and clearly McVay loved him. Feel so bad for him. What's the prognosis for Achilles recovery among running backs? Not too good I assume 😥

Typically full season. The best study I could find on the topic looked at all sports: NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL, and only considered 62 individuals (32 in the NFL). 30.6% of them never played again. I've included the key point below:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28644678/

An Achilles tendon rupture is a devastating injury that prevents RTP for 30.6% of professional players. Athletes who do return play in fewer games, have less play time, and perform at a lower level than their preinjury status. However, these functional deficits are seen only at 1 year after surgery compared with matched controls, such that players who return to play can expect to perform at a level commensurate with uninjured controls 2 years postoperatively.

Basically, don't touch him next year, but 2023 offers hope.

7 hours ago, DeliciousGravy said:

Typically full season. The best study I could find on the topic looked at all sports: NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL, and only considered 62 individuals (32 in the NFL). 30.6% of them never played again. I've included the key point below:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28644678/

Basically, don't touch him next year, but 2023 offers hope.

I don't know about that.   I was just listening to the CBS podcast and they went through a list of RBs that had Achilles tears.  There wasn't one player who had a decent career after the injury.