NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cam Akers 2021 Outlook

14 hours ago, sSektor said:

The only young promising RB that I remember tearing their achilles recently was D'Onta Foreman in his rookie year. I think he's still in the league but hasn't had much opportunity since.

He hasnt been the same since.

1 hour ago, Corleone said:

Found this list of RB's who suffered the injury...
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/fantasy-football-cam-akers-injury-fallout-plus-mike-williams-elijah-moore-and-my-favorite-sleepers-for-2021/

It's hard to find a comprehensive list of running backs who have suffered an Achilles rupture, but I think I have a pretty definitive list and it is … ugly. So, so ugly:

• LenDale White, 2010 (age 26) -- Never played in the NFL again
  • Andre Brown, 2010 (24) -- Out of the league by 2013
  • Mikel Leshoure, 2011 (21) -- Out of the league by 2013
  • Earnest Graham, 2011 (31) -- Never played again
  • Kendall Hunter, 2012 (24) -- Played 16 games, had 80 touches in 2013, never played again
  • Beanie Wells, 2013 (26) -- Never played again 
  • Vick Ballard, 2014 (24) -- Had torn ACL in 2013, Achilles in 2014, never played again
  • Arian Foster, 2015 (29) -- Cut midseason following year, never played again
  • Branden Oliver, 2016 (25) -- Eight games the following season, never played again
  • D'Onta Foreman, 2017 (21) -- Played one game in 2018, out of league in 2019, returned as reserve in 2020
  • Isaiah Crowell, 2019 (26) -- Out of league
  • Marlon Mack, 2020 (24) -- We're still waiting to see, but … 

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, K197040 said:

I don't know about that.   I was just listening to the CBS podcast and they went through a list of RBs that had Achilles tears.  There wasn't one player who had a decent career after the injury.   

There was another paper (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28742993/) that made that point: RB's and LB's were the worst positional units in terms of return to performance. It really is an under-rated injury in sports; it really saps you off that explosion when having to jump or change direction quickly, and both those positions really require you to make maximal use of small spaces.

Anyway I don't want to be a total downer on Akers because there's a human being on the end of this, but it's a cruel injury at exactly the wrong time in his career and I'd be very, very guarded about his return to where he was in the NFL.

• Like 5

I also think one of the reasons it impacts RB's the most is because when it does happen to them it typically takes someone returning from that injury about 2 years compared to the 1 year for ACL's. And 2 years lost for a RB is devastating to a position that has such a short average career length. Teams will move on from a RB after a year or two lost. And then it can be tough for them to latch on with another team.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Corleone said:

Found this list of RB's who suffered the injury...
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/fantasy-football-cam-akers-injury-fallout-plus-mike-williams-elijah-moore-and-my-favorite-sleepers-for-2021/

It's hard to find a comprehensive list of running backs who have suffered an Achilles rupture, but I think I have a pretty definitive list and it is … ugly. So, so ugly:

• LenDale White, 2010 (age 26) -- Never played in the NFL again
  • Andre Brown, 2010 (24) -- Out of the league by 2013
  • Mikel Leshoure, 2011 (21) -- Out of the league by 2013
  • Earnest Graham, 2011 (31) -- Never played again
  • Kendall Hunter, 2012 (24) -- Played 16 games, had 80 touches in 2013, never played again
  • Beanie Wells, 2013 (26) -- Never played again 
  • Vick Ballard, 2014 (24) -- Had torn ACL in 2013, Achilles in 2014, never played again
  • Arian Foster, 2015 (29) -- Cut midseason following year, never played again
  • Branden Oliver, 2016 (25) -- Eight games the following season, never played again
  • D'Onta Foreman, 2017 (21) -- Played one game in 2018, out of league in 2019, returned as reserve in 2020
  • Isaiah Crowell, 2019 (26) -- Out of league
  • Marlon Mack, 2020 (24) -- We're still waiting to see, but … 

All of those RBs were past their primes, or never good anyway. 

Demaryius Thomas came back from this injury and was very good for several years. Same with Emmanuel Sanders, I believe. Kevin Durant had this injury and looks as good as ever. 

I'm not saying it will be an easy recovery, but the "it's impossible" narrative seems a bit over the top to me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

All of those RBs were past their primes, or never good anyway. 

Demaryius Thomas came back from this injury and was very good for several years. Same with Emmanuel Sanders, I believe. Kevin Durant had this injury and looks as good as ever. 

I'm not saying it will be an easy recovery, but the "it's impossible" narrative seems a bit over the top to me. 

I didn't say it was impossible; I just posted the list of RB's with the injury.

For what it's worth, I tore my Achilles in early 2019. I'm not anywhere close to an NFL RB, nor do I have access to the training/recovery methods that an NFL player would have. With that said, I can tell you that the injury truly does suck...and I won't be drafting Akers in 2022. I do wish him the best and hope he can overcome the odds.

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Corleone said:

For what it's worth, I tore my Achilles in early 2019. I'm not anywhere close to an NFL RB, nor do I have access to the training/recovery methods that an NFL player would have. With that said, I can tell you that the injury truly does suck...and I won't be drafting Akers in 2022. I do wish him the best and hope he can overcome the odds.

I agree that list was a bunch of meh/fringe guys, but that list was still helpful - they were at least in the league and the injury sapped them of enough that they could no longer cut it. 

I also popped mine when I was 33 and with intense rehab (obv a fraction of what NFL guys do), I was back to playing football and basketball without reservation in 8 mos. Since Cam has access to all the best treatment and is young, I'm hoping he can be the first RB of note to come back from this.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Corleone said:

I wasn't coming at you. People have said that Akers is done because of the injury and has no shot to ever be a starter again. I was countering that narrative. 

5 hours ago, ajs723 said:

I wasn't coming at you. People have said that Akers is done because of the injury and has no shot to ever be a starter again. I was countering that narrative. 

Richard Sherman came back to some level of effectiveness after tearing his.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Richard Sherman came back to some level of effectiveness after tearing his.

Different position. Granted there has never been a true star RB in recent years suffer the injury and continue playing, there have been some young ones that were viewed as potential stars just like Cam Akers. There have been a number of other players at different positions that come back from the Achilles and continue playing effectively or great. RB doesn't have any historical data saying it isn't a career killer. But the careers it has killed aren't all that significant besides an over the hill Arian Foster.

Maybe Cam Akers breaks the mold. I'll put myself in the doubt camp though.

• Like 2