NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been going back and forth on Robles the past month on his ROS value; I had never taken a deeper look at some of his metrics prior to this year and I'm more pessimistic than optimistic now.

Mallex Smith had a prime? 😄

Heard a crazy stat today.  The average player steals 9 more bases just from moving from the 8th to the 7th spot in the lineup.  They steal 16 more bases going from 8th to leadoff.  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Big League Choo said:

Didn't see a thread for him, wondering if maybe there isn't a buy low opportunity here. Everyone is down on him for his awful 2020, but I'm liking what I see in ST for what it's worth. Anybody have any optimism for this kid?

I still have hope. I just hope he doesn’t become another Byron Buxton.

• Like 2

I took a chance and kept this guy in my main league.  He lost the weight that slowed him down last season and has 4 SB with a .400 OBP in spring.  That's exactly what I'm looking for out of him and I think the talent is there to stick in the leadoff spot all year.  He also looks to be hitting the ball with some authority which can hopefully help his poor statcast numbers.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

It appears that the leadoff spot is his to lose. Hopefully he proves himself and can stick there.

If he is able to stick at leadoff with Turner and Soto behind him it would be huge for his value

• Like 2
3 hours ago, umphrey said:

I am not looking forward to being disappointed by Robles for the 3rd year in a row

You were disappointed in '19?  His surface stats were pretty damn good.  His statcast was lacking but it was basically his first full year at the age of 21.

• Like 1
On 3/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, charger_ss24 said:

I still have hope. I just hope he doesn’t become another Byron Buxton.

He won't become another Byron Buxton because when he actually makes contact Buxton  hits it hard.

The guy has literally been dead last in avg. exit velo the last two seasons.  If Tatis is a statcast darling, Robles is...well...whatever the opposite of a statcast darling is.  You're hoping for prime Mallex Smith with fewer SBs and 10-20 HR AT BEST.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

He won't become another Byron Buxton because when he actually makes contact Buxton  hits it hard.

The guy has literally been dead last in avg. exit velo the last two seasons.  If Tatis is a statcast darling, Robles is...well...whatever the opposite of a statcast darling is.  You're hoping for prime Mallex Smith with fewer SBs and 10-20 HR AT BEST.

It's because the bunts brought his statcast numbers down

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

He's also not Buxton cause he doesn't have the massive injury concerns.  Robles has also led off in every game he's playing in this spring.  If he can hit .260, he could have a .330 OBP hitting in front of Turner and Soto.  All the makings of a 15/25 HR/SB and 100 run season are there.  At pick 152 he is definitely worth the gamble.  He's also only 23 and I've seen him hitting the ball hard in ST.  I think he improves his statcast numbers this year.

• Like 1

If you want SB runs and maybe average by all means draft Victor. If you're expecting power I would pass. I can't find the tweet of his used bats (they were those plastic noodles for swimming pools) but check this home run from today, Giancarlo or Vlad or any adult would have put this on the moon and he barely cleared the LF fence.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Kurland/status/1372607408388894723?s=20

9 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

Hoping for prime Mallex Smith? But with fewer SB and 2-3x as many HRs as Smith’s highest HR total...so in other words, not Mallex Smith at all?? Lol. Robles hit more HR in 2019 than Smith has hit in his career. And who cares if we can expect 10-20 HR, at best? I don’t think anyone is counting on him even reaching 20...I think most are hoping for 12-15 with ~25 steals. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

You're hoping for prime Mallex Smith with fewer SBs and 10-20 HR AT BEST.

I’ll take ~15 HR and ~25 SB from any player, any day of the week. And for a buck at that.

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Hoping for prime Mallex Smith? But with fewer SB and 2-3x as many HRs as Smith’s highest HR total...so in other words, not Mallex Smith at all?? Lol. Robles hit more HR in 2019 than Smith has hit in his career. And who cares if we can expect 10-20 HR, at best? I don’t think anyone is counting on him even reaching 20...I think most are hoping for 12-15 with ~25 steals. 

Mallex Smith had a prime?

😄

• Haha 6
4 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Mallex Smith had a prime?

😄

LOL! The comparison of Robles too a "prime" Mallex Smith was too ridiculous to even bother addressing Mallex having a "prime". :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Voodoo curse. I'm at a loss otherwise. Hopefully this is minor...

• Victor Robles was removed from Friday's Grapefruit League contest with a possible injury.

Robles was having another terrific day at the dish -- with a double and a homer in four at-bats -- but he wound up walking off with the team trainer after awkwardly charging a ball in the outfield. Any injury at this stage of the spring, even a minor one, would likely mean that Robles would miss the start of the regular season. Look for Nationals manager Dave Martinez to provide an update on his status after the game.

Mar 19, 2021, 8:50 PM ET

•  

Nationals manager Dave Martinez said after Friday's Grapefruit League game that Victor Robles was pulled due to tightness in his back.

Robles slipped while fielding a single during the fifth inning and it sounds like the Nationals wanted to take every possible precaution and not push him. Martinez indicated that Robles will be examined again on Saturday before the team makes a determination on his status. It sounds like he should be considered day-to-day, though back injuries can be tricky and have a tendency to linger throughout the season.

Hopefully we dodged a bullet here.

10 hours ago, damana said:

Nationals manager Dave Martinez said after Friday's Grapefruit League game that Victor Robles was pulled due to tightness in his back.

Robles slipped while fielding a single during the fifth inning and it sounds like the Nationals wanted to take every possible precaution and not push him. Martinez indicated that Robles will be examined again on Saturday before the team makes a determination on his status. It sounds like he should be considered day-to-day, though back injuries can be tricky and have a tendency to linger throughout the season.

Hopefully we dodged a bullet here.

hopefully he just needs a good massage to work it out.

29 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

hopefully he just needs a good massage to work it out.

If thats the case, hopefully it's not Carlos Correas massage therapist.

Injury seems minor

also for the those comparing him to Mallex smith and pointing to avg exit velos, the difference is Robles CAN hit the ball hard.  His double on Thursday was clocked at 109.3 mph.  He has the ability to hit it hard, he just hasn’t been able to do it consistently.  15-20 hr is very feasible and obviously the legs will play if he gets on base.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Injury seems minor

also for the those comparing him to Mallex smith and pointing to avg exit velos, the difference is Robles CAN hit the ball hard.  His double on Thursday was clocked at 109.3 mph.  He has the ability to hit it hard, he just hasn’t been able to do it consistently.  15-20 hr is very feasible and obviously the legs will play if he gets on base.

There was no “those”...it was one guy and the rest of us laughing at the comparison. 

• Haha 3

Heard a crazy stat today.  The average player steals 9 more bases just from moving from the 8th to the 7th spot in the lineup.  They steal 16 more bases going from 8th to leadoff.  

• Like 5