NBC Sports Edge Forums

Quick hits:

Workhorse in 2019, 200+ innings, 200Ks, 3.59 ERA. Horrible 2020 with era north of 5.

Velocity loss for most of 2020 season. Brooks baseball had him down to 91 mph.  Was at about a 93 avg in 2019.

Hitting 94 mph this spring.

Flyball pitcher. Flyball stadium in KC. Dead ball.

Huge bounceback candidate and inexpensive because of the really bad 2020.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Quick hits:

Workhorse in 2019, 200+ innings, 200Ks, 3.59 ERA. Horrible 2020 with era north of 5.

Velocity loss for most of 2020 season. Brooks baseball had him down to 91 mph.  Was at about a 93 avg in 2019.

Hitting 94 mph this spring.

Flyball pitcher. Flyball stadium in KC. Dead ball.

Huge bounceback candidate and inexpensive because of the really bad 2020.

This man pumped Lynn from unownable to Ace. Best to listen here, especially at the cost of a late game dart throw.

• Thanks 1
Just now, fawkes_mulder said:

Do you really care about spring training ERA?

No.  Just havin’ a laugh, as your avatar’s predecessor would say.

• Like 1

Minor is one of those guys I'm interested in because h has a great chance to be among the league leaders in innings pitched. There is more value in that this year than ever, and you can get it for virtually free.

While the peripherals weren't great, the 5.5 ERA was very unlucky. His xFIP and SIERA were actually higher in 2019 than 2020. He also had a nice increase in K%.

I'd expect him to return back to the low 4's area in ERA. Couple that with what I expect to be around a K per inning, and among the league leaders in innings, there is value here.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

This man pumped Lynn from unownable to Ace. Best to listen here, especially at the cost of a late game dart throw.

No disrespect to Fawkes, but I have a hard time buying in. Velo is up and the ballpark is good, but in a wins league, his value takes a hit. I’d rather try to find a SP who has a better shot of not returning a 4.50 era to round out my SP staff. 

Edited by Flyman75
15 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

No disrespect to Fawkes, but I have a hard time buying in. Velo is up and the ballpark is good, but in a wins league, his value takes a hit. I’d rather try to find a SP who has a better shot of not returning a 4.50 era to round out my SP staff. 

I still like it as a dart throw, really depends on which dart throw you  prefer.  i saw  PL  move him up 23 spots to 65 based on the velo, I'm guessing thats where fawkes got it from, or they had the same take based on  velo.  

4 pitchers going before on NFBC ADP Walker Kim, Odoroizi, Sale

4 after Canning, Dunning, Boyd, Justus.

Outside of Sale who is obviously an ace or close if healthy, who you taking?

8 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I still like it as a dart throw, really depends on which dart throw you  prefer.  i saw  PL  move him up 23 spots to 65 based on the velo, I'm guessing thats where fawkes got it from, or they had the same take based on  velo.  

4 pitchers going before on NFBC ADP Walker Kim, Odoroizi, Sale

4 after Canning, Dunning, Boyd, Justus.

Outside of Sale who is obviously an ace or close if healthy, who you taking?

Well, those names aren’t contextual to every league, and I don’t concern myself too much with ADP. I’m thinking of someone with higher upside like Peralta or Antone, who will probably start and come out of the pen but provide a better k-rate and probably better ratios. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Well, those names aren’t contextual to every league, and I don’t concern myself too much with ADP. I’m thinking of someone with higher upside like Peralta or Antone, who will probably start and come out of the pen but provide a better k-rate and probably better ratios. 

that’s all fair and you’re right it’s league dependent, but if I need a starter around that point in the draft I think Minor is a fine dart throw. I’m not even playing an my redrafts this year, but I thought it was fair to compare him to his adp contemporaries. Some people also play in ip and qs leagues making the guys you mentioned less desirable options. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2020 2 Tms MLB 50.8% (90.6) 20.7% (85.7)   6.4% (80.2) 22.1% (85.5)      
2021 KCR MLB 31.2% (92.1) 33.3% (87.0)   17.2% (81.1) 18.3% (86.6)

(Average speed)

Only on start but velo is up all around from last year.

4/1.20/200/10  in 200IN. Not bad for $3

Edited by this guy right here
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Anyone get eyes on his start?  ERA isn't pretty but all the damage seemed to be early and a 6:2 K:BB in 6 IP and a W isn't bad.  

Joey Gallo smoked a homer after Dahl got on base with a double. I think one of those walks was later on when Minor played it safe with Gallo. So it's not like he got hit around by the Rangers lineup. I'm encouraged by his first start, and the Royals offense has been on fire early (even if against the Rangers)...Minor's worth holding onto, for sure.

• 2 months later...

He's had a bad year but he's been good recently and in 14 team and shallower, he might still be on the waiver wire.spacer.png

• Like 1

Fastball velo averaged just under 91 MPH last night. Good movements and got 10 called strikes and 4 swinging strikes with it.

The CH and SL averaged exactly the same speed (85.4 MPH)--they at least are very different in terms of actions. The change is def plus, at least--4 called/3 swinging strikes.

The curve was pretty meh last night, but he should try it more.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, octapuss said:

Not a great start last night. Was looking for him to roll over Detroit.  He gets the Yanks next.

1 out away from a QS. Two, 2 out base knocks, then the reliever comes in and gives up a hit for a 4th ER.

The dreaded 5.2ip line. 

15 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

1 out away from a QS. Two, 2 out base knocks, then the reliever comes in and gives up a hit for a 4th ER.

The dreaded 5.2ip line. 

i know he was close, but if he cant pull out a quality start at home vs detroit, i dont really see much hope for using him moving forward outside of deep or AL only leagues...