NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2021 Outlook

Seeing his ADP at the 3-4 turn and that feels so low to me. They've improved their line ten-fold, at least on the interior and LT (only downgrade is Schwartz leaving at RT). They didn't add any RB talent, and Darrel Williams (while Reid seems to like him) looks like one of the worst RBs that gets touches in football. 

He was clearly a disappointment based on 2020 ADP, but enough for him to drop 2 full rounds? He doesn't jump off the screen with his athleticism, but he definitely showed the ability to read holes, make people miss, grind for extra yards, and most importantly catch the rock. The Reid "RB Whisperer" narrative has taken a bit of a hit for the past two years, but you'd have to think they'll try to get their 1st round pick from a year ago going in year 2. Seems like they throw at the GL a ton, but at least they get to the GL a ton... if a few of those become runs (and hopefully less shovel passes to Tyreek/Kelce), we're having a different conversation right now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Seeing his ADP at the 3-4 turn and that feels so low to me. They've improved their line ten-fold, at least on the interior and LT (only downgrade is Schwartz leaving at RT). They didn't add any RB talent, and Darrel Williams (while Reid seems to like him) looks like one of the worst RBs that gets touches in football. 

He was clearly a disappointment based on 2020 ADP, but enough for him to drop 2 full rounds? He doesn't jump off the screen with his athleticism, but he definitely showed the ability to read holes, make people miss, grind for extra yards, and most importantly catch the rock. The Reid "RB Whisperer" narrative has taken a bit of a hit for the past two years, but you'd have to think they'll try to get their 1st round pick from a year ago going in year 2. Seems like they throw at the GL a ton, but at least they get to the GL a ton... if a few of those become runs (and hopefully less shovel passes to Tyreek/Kelce), we're having a different conversation right now.

I'm guessing his ADP is going to rise pretty steadily. I think CEH is a locked and loaded RB2 at least this year. If you can comfortably get him in the third it makes going RB --> WR/TE --> RB easy mode.

Edited by MingusDew

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, AlynOakenfist said:

Will he be used on 3rd downs and in the hurry up offense this year? Darrel Williams took a majority of those snaps last season and killed his receiving value.

I hope so. I think losing a lot of passing downs reps to Williams was primarily due to having little offseason due to covid. Pass protection, blitz pick ups, and running the correct option routes are a lot harder to learn than the run game. I think Andy Reid just didn’t feel comfortable relying on a rookie with no offseason to pick it up that quickly while also adjusting to the NFL and learning the run game. But maybe I’m just a Glass half full guy. 

• Like 1

I also suspect his ADP to go up, i hope not much though as he's certainly a player i want to target. If i can get CEH in the third id still go RB RB RB. Who ever in the first lets say Chubbor Taylor then a combo of (depending what slot im drafting in) Akers, Dobbins, Najee or CEH. TAYLOR AKERS CEH , CHUBB NAJEE CEH, many other combos all dirty!!!  I think whats more realistic is as draft day approaches  he will have a 2nd rnd ADP and  i'll have to decide between him and one of the others i listed. 

ANDY REID KNOWS A THING OR TWO ABOUT ENABLING A HIGH-END FANTASY RB

We’ve seen example after example of coach Andy Reid enabling a high-end fantasy RB over the past 20-plus years.

Year Running back PPR/game rank
1999 Duce Staley RB11
2000 Duce Staley RB15
2001 Duce Staley RB11
2002 Duce Staley RB15
2003 Brian Westbrook RB19
2004 Brian Westbrook RB5
2005 Brian Westbrook RB7
2006 Brian Westbrook RB4
2007 Brian Westbrook RB1
2008 Brian Westbrook RB1
2009 Brian Westbrook RB36
2010 LeSean McCoy RB3
2011 LeSean McCoy RB3
2012 LeSean McCoy RB8
2013 Jamaal Charles RB1
2014 Jamaal Charles RB7
2015 Jamaal Charles RB2
2016 Spencer Ware RB17
2017 Kareem Hunt RB5
2018 Kareem Hunt RB8
2019 Damien Williams RB25
2020 Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB21

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-can-clyde-edwards-helaire-still-be-andy-reids-next-great-rb

• Like 1

The elephant in the room: Edwards-Helaire at the goal line. All in all, he converted just two of his 10 attempts inside the 5-yard line into scores. And guess what: I’m not concerned. Primarily because 1) the Chiefs don’t seem to be, 2) fellow Chiefs RBs Darrel Williams, Le’Veon Bell, Darwin Thompson and DeAndre Washington converted just one of their combined six rush attempts into a score, 3) the film from most of CEH’s failed attempts demonstrates the reality that these were hardly walk-in opportunities, and 4) this offensive line has ranked outside of the league’s top-16 units in yards before contact per carry in each of the past two years. Here’s to hoping the Chiefs’ plethora of offseason moves at the line of scrimmage leads to these RBs having a bit more of a runway in 2021 and beyond. 

That's an interesting stat.  The Chiefs were bad at goal line runs no matter who carried the ball.

Watching CEH's goalline runs, you can hardly blame him.  It looks like defenses saw these runs coming a mile away.

• Like 2

There's a wide hole to the right on that 2nd highlighted play. But Helaire has to go to MaHomes to take the handoff. He attempts to get there but gets caught up in traffic & is late. Low center, quick & shifty! Marginal size to assume a bell cow workload, but still has plenty of tread, so 250 touches would certainly seem within reach. In PP mode, given that a 5' 8" 210lb guy isn't going to stone the momentum of a 6' 3" 245lb missile 'backer, the tendency is to cut block. Teensie-tiny catch radius as a rec'r, but has reliable hands! Gotta love the team he's on, Andy Reid, check that list above! Offseason moves establish a commitment to get it done.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NInsko said:
ANDY REID KNOWS A THING OR TWO ABOUT ENABLING A HIGH-END FANTASY RB

We’ve seen example after example of coach Andy Reid enabling a high-end fantasy RB over the past 20-plus years.

Year Running back PPR/game rank
1999 Duce Staley RB11
2000 Duce Staley RB15
2001 Duce Staley RB11
2002 Duce Staley RB15
2003 Brian Westbrook RB19
2004 Brian Westbrook RB5
2005 Brian Westbrook RB7
2006 Brian Westbrook RB4
2007 Brian Westbrook RB1
2008 Brian Westbrook RB1
2009 Brian Westbrook RB36
2010 LeSean McCoy RB3
2011 LeSean McCoy RB3
2012 LeSean McCoy RB8
2013 Jamaal Charles RB1
2014 Jamaal Charles RB7
2015 Jamaal Charles RB2
2016 Spencer Ware RB17
2017 Kareem Hunt RB5
2018 Kareem Hunt RB8
2019 Damien Williams RB25
2020 Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB21

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-can-clyde-edwards-helaire-still-be-andy-reids-next-great-rb

The whole Andy Reid RB1 narrative is what led to CEH's ridiculous ADP last season. The shine has kind of worn off. I think the Oline improvements are the most encouraging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evincar said:

The whole Andy Reid RB1 narrative is what led to CEH's ridiculous ADP last season. The shine has kind of worn off. I think the Oline improvements are the most encouraging.

I think many factors lead to CEHs inflated ADP last yr. The fact that KC selected their RB of choice in the first round following a superbowl victory, and that CEH was a proficent catching back in college. Being in a offence led by Patrick Mahomes which we saw Kareem Hunt thrive in a year previous were the major factors imo .

I also thought his draft capital last yr was too rich for my taste the hype got so big and he was overdrafted at least in my draft. (4th overall) LOL

This yr his ADP seems decent/fair, To me at least.

Another thing i guesd i'd like to add regarding his Draft capital specifically last yr. I play in a league with the same guys i have been for over a decade even the least savy drafter is savy to the extent that "sleepers" don't exist in the same way they do in a league with new fantasy players. We all know the guys it's just who's willing to reach for said sleeper and by how much. 

As soon as CEH was drafted to KC our group chat exploded so the hype in my league was instantaneous and me drafting 10th knew i wasnt going to have the option to draft him and thats how it played out.

His ADP now is GOLD atm. I wouldn't draft him over Taylor though (im a Colts fan) Taylor i feel is more focal to the offence. I'd try and land both. 

careful how you slide, Clyde/all you did was glide ... and you poured your beer in me hat

keep my good eye on the beat/and livin' on Fixation street/i ain't got no time for that ...

HEY!!1!!1!1!!

many years ago there was a much ballyhooed 2 yr old colt, he was coming out of one the best barns in the gig, and his pedigree was superlative - mofo was bred to dominate fools on the big time racing ovals all about the US of A. 

i happened upon this cat my first weekend at Saratoga ... entered in a baby race, amongst a group that wpuld be better suited to chasing butterflies ... i wouldn't exactly call them tomato cans - more like Dinty Moore Beef Stew cans; if not Underwood Deviled Ham. 

stage set.  his odds were a tad too short to blindly plunk, but i bucked the age old axiom of "bet a little to win a lot", doing the exact opposite ... i chucked a bundle at the short priced Wünderkind, and sat back with a decently proportioned stout. 

gazed in horror as the four legged freak flopped and flailed ... ran like he was fitted with creosote shoes.  as i watched my paper mingling with a raging inferno, it dawned on me ... the cat just. wasn't. ready. 

you know the name of that horse?  do you know the greatness he would go on to achieve? 

enter J.J. Watt. 

our hero Clydesdale was poised to put a most indelible stamp on the opening weekend of the chaotic 2020 professional foosball weekend ... didja see that shake n' bake the kid threw down on the Howstin corner en route to his 28 yd TD scamper??!?

HOO, BOY HOWDY!

we was poised for greatness. oh, and KoolAid was feeding the lil' pepper pot - this was fun for us magick foosball kids, weren't it?

uhhh, then ol' J.J. erected the great wall of Watt on a goal line series which saw our prized spec get stuffed again ... and again - and, lastly ... again.

this derailed his breakout season before it truly began ... the buck 3.80 he gained on the ground, along with his Elvis like hip swivel TD jaunt were now distant memories. 

it was never the same after that series ... subsequent Chefs games featured a host of characters gettin the coveted gl love ... but not our boy CEH - hell, popcorn vendors and backup long snappers had a better shot of being in the gl package than the 'Homie approved 1st rd dynamo. 

too much of Williams. the idiotic signing of the dried out husk that was Le'Veon Bell.  the continued gl snubs. eff that. 

isn't this kid an adept pass catcher?  why, yes - yes he is ... in week 2 (or 3), the Chefs found themselves getting bamboozled by the genius of one Anthony Lynn (ok, i kid ... it was Tygod getting his ribs pierced by a quack with a jabber) ... so, who is this Herbert kid anyway?

i believe CEH hauled in 6 or 7 receptions ... was a vital cog in the KC comeback late in the 4th - but they never used him as such again. 

we were cheated, fellas. 

now, the name of that horse?

CEH will finish top 3 this year - the bargain of the millennium.

🐎🐎🐎🐎🎳🐎🐎🐎🐎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

careful how you slide, Clyde/all you did was glide ... and you poured your beer in me hat

keep my good eye on the beat/and livin' on Fixation street/i ain't got no time for that ...

HEY!!1!!1!1!!

many years ago there was a much ballyhooed 2 yr old colt, he was coming out of one the best barns in the gig, and his pedigree was superlative - mofo was bred to dominate fools on the big time racing ovals all about the US of A. 

i happened upon this cat my first weekend at Saratoga ... entered in a baby race, amongst a group that wpuld be better suited to chasing butterflies ... i wouldn't exactly call them tomato cans - more like Dinty Moore Beef Stew cans; if not Underwood Deviled Ham. 

stage set.  his odds were a tad too short to blindly plunk, but i bucked the age old axiom of "bet a little to win a lot", doing the exact opposite ... i chucked a bundle at the short priced Wünderkind, and sat back with a decently proportioned stout. 

gazed in horror as the four legged freak flopped and flailed ... ran like he was fitted with creosote shoes.  as i watched my paper mingling with a raging inferno, it dawned on me ... the cat just. wasn't. ready. 

you know the name of that horse?  do you know the greatness he would go on to achieve? 

enter J.J. Watt. 

our hero Clydesdale was poised to put a most indelible stamp on the opening weekend of the chaotic 2020 professional foosball weekend ... didja see that shake n' bake the kid threw down on the Howstin corner en route to his 28 yd TD scamper??!?

HOO, BOY HOWDY!

we was poised for greatness. oh, and KoolAid was feeding the lil' pepper pot - this was fun for us magick foosball kids, weren't it?

uhhh, then ol' J.J. erected the great wall of Watt on a goal line series which saw our prized spec get stuffed again ... and again - and, lastly ... again.

this derailed his breakout season before it truly began ... the buck 3.80 he gained on the ground, along with his Elvis like hip swivel TD jaunt were now distant memories. 

it was never the same after that series ... subsequent Chefs games featured a host of characters gettin the coveted gl love ... but not our boy CEH - hell, popcorn vendors and backup long snappers had a better shot of being in the gl package than the 'Homie approved 1st rd dynamo. 

too much of Williams. the idiotic signing of the dried out husk that was Le'Veon Bell.  the continued gl snubs. eff that. 

isn't this kid an adept pass catcher?  why, yes - yes he is ... in week 2 (or 3), the Chefs found themselves getting bamboozled by the genius of one Anthony Lynn (ok, i kid ... it was Tygod getting his ribs pierced by a quack with a jabber) ... so, who is this Herbert kid anyway?

i believe CEH hauled in 6 or 7 receptions ... was a vital cog in the KC comeback late in the 4th - but they never used him as such again. 

we were cheated, fellas. 

🐎🐎🐎🐎🎳🐎🐎🐎🐎

You are a ray of sunlight on a cloudy day.

CEH to the moon boyz.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dylanfan66 said:

This is a tough call to draft him in the first round or not.  You really don't know what you are gonna get.  They are pass happy and unless he gets goal line carries.  RB2 at worst.

FTFY

And don't draft him round 1 because you don't need to draft him round 1

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Right, so CEH is going to break out because you lost money on your pony?

giphy.gif

To be honest, yes, I could see him being used more in 2021 but good old Andy Reid has never been afraid of taking risks with young players, so if he chooses Williams and the ghost of Leveon Bell over young CEH, then that is at the very least interesting. You can't just shrug that off by saying "he was stuffed by Watt and this is why he got fewer touches".

3 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Right, so CEH is going to break out because you lost money on your pony?

giphy.gif

To be honest, yes, I could see him being used more in 2021 but good old Andy Reid has never been afraid of taking risks with young players, so if he chooses Williams and the ghost of Leveon Bell over young CEH, then that is at the very least interesting. You can't just shrug that off by saying "he was stuffed by Watt and this is why he got fewer touches".

my pony analogy will come to fruition ... bet him next time out at 8/1 and cleaned up - his value was incredible, and i pounced ... similar to ol' CEH right'chere this season. 

oh, and Watt?

Clyde had more carries inside the 5 that series than the rest of the season IN TOTAL. 

but, yeahhhhh - i'm sure you're right - the opening night stuffing had absolutely nothing to do with it. 

🍰 🤔 🌮

tenor.gif?itemid=16162181

On 5/30/2021 at 1:45 PM, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

I'd rather have CEH than Jonathon Taylor

totally agree.  I remember when CEH was really being hyped last year and had an APD of a mid first round pick.   In the late 2nd/3rd round he's value.  I'm buying at that price every time. 

1 hour ago, nk2333 said:

totally agree.  I remember when CEH was really being hyped last year and had an APD of a mid first round pick.   In the late 2nd/3rd round he's value.  I'm buying at that price every time. 

I agree drafted him 10th last year looked great at first and had some tough luck, but I am playing for a top 5 pick pair him with a zeke, kittle or stud wr, and ceh.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

I agree drafted him 10th last year looked great at first and had some tough luck, but I am playing for a top 5 pick pair him with a zeke, kittle or stud wr, and ceh.

10th is a lot more reasonable and I probably would have done the same.  But i've seen him go 6 last year, ahead of Dalvin Cook.  I think that burn might be part of the reason why his adp is in the 2nd/3rd round  this year thus making him a value pick

Edited by nk2333

On 5/30/2021 at 6:45 AM, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

I'd rather have CEH than Jonathon Taylor

I have to choose between these two in a keeper league and for me Taylor is the easy choice. Reid loves Kelce and Tyreek way too much at the GL. Taylor should get far more carries within the 5. It won't be Mack and his bum achilles. That said, I do think CEH has a lot of value in the 2nd/3rd round this year. A full offseason should go a long way towards helping him be more productive in this offense.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kansas City Chiefs running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire says it "feels like two different seasons."

The second-year player weighed in on just how different this year's offseason is compared to his rookie year during the virtual offseason.

The starter was drafted in the 2020 NFL Draft as the Chiefs' first-round pick and began his time in the league during the pandemic. According to the LSU grad, a year has made all the difference.

“I was coming in not really knowing anything last year so that was the first thing. I had my entire OTA season off to just to work out and that was it. Then we came in for fall camp," Edwards Helaire said. "Now having this year to be able to go out there, I think the biggest thing was how much I missed football... This is what I do for a living, this is where I get my joy, so it feels good to be out there.”

Edwards Helaire also spoke about his preparation this offseason and what he's been doing in his spare time. He said he's been using his time since the Super Bowl to get healthy after sustaining an ankle/hip injury last season. He says he now feels 100%.

Fresh Prince Of Helaire Fantasy Football GIF - FreshPrinceOfHelaire Helaire FreshPrince GIFs

• Haha 1