Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

username kinda checks out  🤔

I don't understand how people can claim CEH "is what he is" after just one, COVID filled rookie season.  Don't forget the history of Andy Reid RBs, and the reason people were so excited for CEH going

I'd rather have CEH than Jonathon Taylor

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

CEH over Jonathan Taylor?  No.

Just no.

 

Ya think he meant with their current ADPs? Thats the only argument I can think of for CEH over JT.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back to that clip highlighting his seven carries inside the 5 yd line, six of them appear to be against the Texans. That was week one & vs a team not exactly known for defense. So, after the 1st game he only gets one more carry down near the goal, which occurs in week 5. After which, there are none! Still, if you add Darrel Williams in the 15th rd you're all but assured of at least RB2 production.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Going back to that clip highlighting his seven carries inside the 5 yd line, six of them appear to be against the Texans. That was week one & vs a team not exactly known for defense. So, after the 1st game he only gets one more carry down near the goal, which occurs in week 5. After which, there are none! Still, if you add Darrel Williams in the 15th rd you're all but assured of at least RB2 production.   

excerpt from my June 1st post in here:

 

"uhhh, then ol' J.J. erected the great wall of Watt on a goal line series which saw our prized spec get stuffed again ... and again - and, lastly ... again.

this derailed his breakout season before it truly began ... the buck 3.80 he gained on the ground, along with his Elvis like hip swivel TD jaunt were now distant memories. 

it was never the same after that series ... subsequent Chefs games featured a host of characters gettin the coveted gl love ... but not our boy CEH - hell, popcorn vendors and backup long snappers had a better shot of being in the gl package than the 'Homie approved 1st rd dynamo. 

too much of Williams. the idiotic signing of the dried out husk that was Le'Veon Bell.  the continued gl snubs. eff that. "

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

excerpt from my June 1st post in here:

"uhhh, then ol' J.J. erected the great wall of Watt on a goal line series which saw our prized spec get stuffed again ... and again - and, lastly ... again.

this derailed his breakout season before it truly began ... the buck 3.80 he gained on the ground, along with his Elvis like hip swivel TD jaunt were now distant memories. 

it was never the same after that series ... subsequent Chefs games featured a host of characters gettin the coveted gl love ... but not our boy CEH - hell, popcorn vendors and backup long snappers had a better shot of being in the gl package than the 'Homie approved 1st rd dynamo. 

too much of Williams. the idiotic signing of the dried out husk that was Le'Veon Bell.  the continued gl snubs. eff that. "

Well said, wish I had seen it & responded to it. Williams lacks elite suddenness & speed but it's not like he's TE slow. Well-rounded player, can run, receive & block. Great locker room presence, he & Helaire were teammates at LSU... could end up as more of a timeshare, but even there, that of a lop-sided or situational one. 

Edited by markrc99
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Well said, wish I had seen it & responded to it. 

it's a point i relentlessly drove home about last year ... that Watt gl stand effectively sunk the kid's value, as the trust in him down there evaporated ... as evidenced by the subsequent disappearance from the gl package. 

when you're the "lead back" on one of the leeg's most prolific offenses, and you are yanked at the stripe, well ... you're useless from our magick foosball vantage point, especially when the powers that be are perpetually averse to leaning on the ground game (lest it's raining and the Bison are ceding chunks of yds in order to contain the aerial circus).

but yet, i still get pushback on this very bored from chaps who insist that opening night gl debacle had NOTHING to do with the overwhelmingly "MEH" frosh campaign from our hero ... go figger. 

 

21 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

 Williams lacks elite suddenness & speed but it's not like he's TE slow. Well-rounded player, can run, receive & block. Great locker room presence, he & Helaire were teammates at LSU... could end up as more of a timeshare, but even there, that of a lop-sided or situational one. 

 from all accounts, ol' CEH is taking to this year's "back to normal" off season, and should be primed for a much more reliant workload ... as frustrating as last year was, it did season the kid, and he's been downright sponge-like in the film room, culling a Masters in "KoolAid/Homie 101".

Williams will spell, of course ... but i expect bigger and better out of Clyde this coming 2021 go round ... top 3 finish is within reach. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 3 finish of all the Chiefs RBs is in reach for MEH.  

Top 3 in the NFL?  I would say no.  Just too many guys ahead of him that have superior skills.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Maybe a little too much expectations for his rookie year and being drafted with a first pick by many added to that. 

I think a lot of people were pointing to Kareem Hunt's rookie year with KC and envisioned CEH doing the same.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2021 at 3:56 PM, Stonej14 said:

Ya think he meant with their current ADPs? Thats the only argument I can think of for CEH over JT.

Or someone who is super low on Wentz and DOESNT want him sabotaging another offense. Especially with JT not being the primary pats catching back. I’d rather have JT but from a pure risk aversion standpoint I get the argument for CEH 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2021 at 11:19 PM, Panthers8912 said:

Or someone who is super low on Wentz and DOESNT want him sabotaging another offense. Especially with JT not being the primary pats catching back. I’d rather have JT but from a pure risk aversion standpoint I get the argument for CEH 

CEH is more riskier since he's not the focal point of his offense and while he's the main passing back, the RB is like the last read on every play.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Evincar said:

CEH is more riskier since he's not the focal point of his offense and while he's the main passing back, the RB is like the last read on every play.

Here's my theory on many rookie RBs.   They come into the league and have to learn a new offense.    So most teams focus on getting them up to speed on running plays and protection.  With the passing game being the last thing to work on.   And last season, with COVID, maybe they didn't get enough time for the coach to be comfortable with their pass catching role.   So CEH didn't get the passing work as hoped for.   It's tough to fathom they didn't let him run those wheel routes that they had been giving to other RBs.

Anyway, just a theory.  

He looked great those first few games.  He's still that same player.   Another year older and presumably up to speed on the offense.

I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that he could be an RB1 that I get relatively late.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What bugs me is the way his workload got scaled back BEFORE he got hurt.

What was that about and why doesn’t anyone want to account for it the way we would when recency bias works in a back’s favor like it is for Swift and Akers?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Proteus said:

What bugs me is the way his workload got scaled back BEFORE he got hurt.

What was that about and why doesn’t anyone want to account for it the way we would when recency bias works in a back’s favor like it is for Swift and Akers?

I could be wrong but it looks like he was scaled back for 3 consecutive weeks (7, 8, and 9) then continued to get his old workload back until he was injured. However I traded him away around week 7 so I’m not 100% sure just looking at his game logs and weekly snap shares and they seem to have returned to his normal touches after those 3 weeks.. I mean we know Andy Reid has a tendency to get away from the run game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Proteus said:

What bugs me is the way his workload got scaled back BEFORE he got hurt.

What was that about and why doesn’t anyone want to account for it the way we would when recency bias works in a back’s favor like it is for Swift and Akers?

I don't think it's recency bias alone that explains the ADPs.  Akers looked great once they gave him the ball.   But his situation improved.  They dropped an RB and they significantly upgraded at QB.   Swift could be on a terrible offense and he's going lower than CEH.   CEH looked fantastic to open the season and he's on a great offense.   The big question in my mind is will he get any goalline work after last year.   I'd be fine with him even if they almost split carries but CEH gets the passing work.   Big if though because we haven't seen it yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Good article in Rotoviz today if any of you subscribe by Shawn Siegele:

https://www.rotoviz.com/2021/07/5-reasons-clyde-edwards-helaire-is-poised-to-be-this-years-20-win-rate-running-back/

I won't copy/paste the whole thing but the summary looked nice:

  • He was the top RB pick in a loaded RB class. The Chiefs both like him and have incentive to prove they didn’t make a terrible choice.
  • RBs tend to make a leap in Year 2, and young RBs have a scoring advantage.
  • Kansas City should have one of the highest touch concentrations at RB, both due to stylistic preference and the dearth of other options.
  • The Chiefs will be among the highest-scoring teams in football, and Edwards-Helaire could lead the league in high-value touches.

The Chiefs obviously remember the end of last season. They have ploughed a lot of draft capital and free agency $$$ into their offensive line. Clearly they still want to be able to run the ball for offensive balance.

He's still only 22. Plenty of time to pop.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he looked really great all year when he got touches and always seemed to get more than was given.  His usage was what was brutally frustrating.  I have to imagine that the pendulum swings a bit more towards balance and he benefits from positive usage regression.  I like the potential value here, there’s far worse gambles one could take.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

those combinations of CMC and Cook paired along with CHEH as your rbs you may as well get the trophy pre positioned.

I don't think he'll be there at the 2.11 or 2.12 in most drafts anymore.   The Akers and Thomas injuries are pretty detrimental for having those picks now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

those combinations of CMC and Cook paired along with CHEH as your rbs you may as well get the trophy pre positioned.

Are you kidding me?

Which is why I will ENSURE the CMC and Cook guys in my draft don't acquire him in the 2nd round.

That would be the kiss of death. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Recency bias for me, mr mahomes likes to pass only, was frustrating rooting for this guy last season

The bigger issue for me is how ordinary he looked. An absolute JAG in DWill looked electric (the DWill from two years ago, not the heavier one) by comparison. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...