NBC Sports Edge Forums

I'm thinking they want to mimic Cleveland here maybe with a Chubb/Hunt thing, but as just about everyone has said, wth is with gutting the offensive line?

52 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I'm thinking they want to mimic Cleveland here maybe with a Chubb/Hunt thing, but as just about everyone has said, wth is with gutting the offensive line?

This team is developing a knack for upsetting players and then cutting/trading them.  It’s an ominous sign for Raiders fans.

Hard to figure what the Raiders plans are considering the moves they have made so far. Gutting the OL but adding to the RB corp? Very odd, but surely they have a plan of sorts. Might not be a good plan though and I'm planning to shy away from Raiders players.

So I *kinda* get their O-line moves from a salary cap perspective - the Raiders were tight with the desire to improve their defense, Brown's contract was arguably overpriced (though he certainly wasn't a bust), and to get something for Hudson and Jackson in a market saturated with interior O-linemen I thought was actually pretty smart of them. This gives them a few extra picks they can use for cost-controlled linemen this year and when the cap goes back up they can go gangbusters in signing FA's to maybe make a run.

That said, I'd be infinitely more excited about Drake if he was behind the 2020 O-line. As it stands, it will depend on pricepoint - certainly if Jacobs has further injury woes, Drake can flirt with RB1 weeks. 

51 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

So I *kinda* get their O-line moves from a salary cap perspective - the Raiders were tight with the desire to improve their defense, Brown's contract was arguably overpriced (though he certainly wasn't a bust), and to get something for Hudson and Jackson in a market saturated with interior O-linemen I thought was actually pretty smart of them. This gives them a few extra picks they can use for cost-controlled linemen this year and when the cap goes back up they can go gangbusters in signing FA's to maybe make a run.

That said, I'd be infinitely more excited about Drake if he was behind the 2020 O-line. As it stands, it will depend on pricepoint - certainly if Jacobs has further injury woes, Drake can flirt with RB1 weeks. 

But it really didn’t seem as if they were anticipating getting anything for Hudson and Jackson before making those decisions to part ways with them.

10 hours ago, BMcP said:

But it really didn’t seem as if they were anticipating getting anything for Hudson and Jackson before making those decisions to part ways with them.

I suspect (with no proof whatsoever) that the reporting of the moves and the trades was done out of order. Arizona sending a 3rd rounder for a player they knew was going to be released anyway? Seems like a lot to give up.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, DeliciousGravy said:

I suspect (with no proof whatsoever) that the reporting of the moves and the trades was done out of order. Arizona sending a 3rd rounder for a player they knew was going to be released anyway? Seems like a lot to give up.

If he’s released, you’re competing against 30 other teams to sign him. Some with more cap space and can offer a better deal. If you trade for him, he’s yours. AZ desperately needed a center, it was their weakest position last year. It was a bit of an overpay, but props to them for getting the guy they wanted. 

• Like 1

New Raiders RB Kenyan Drake said he's been told he will spend time at receiver in 2021. 

"Coach (Jon) Gruden said that he was going to use me in a multitude of ways, playing receiver, playing running back," Drake said. "Just having the ability to kind of use my versatility as a weapon in the open field is something that really spoke to me." "(Insert running back) is going to see time at receiver in (insert year)" is an annual offseason motif, though the Raiders do have one of the league's thinnest receiver depth charts. They also targeted wideouts at a league-low 43.4 percent rate in 2020. There could be something to this, but Drake was oddly ineffective as a pass catcher his 1.5 years in Arizona, averaging a measly 5.8 yards per grab. Drake is going to have to catch a lot of passes for his opulent contract to make any sense. He is on the PPR FLEX radar behind Josh Jacobs. 

Source: The Athletic
Mar 25, 2021, 5:46 PM ET
11 hours ago, The G Man said:

New Raiders RB Kenyan Drake said he's been told he will spend time at receiver in 2021. 

"Coach (Jon) Gruden said that he was going to use me in a multitude of ways, playing receiver, playing running back," Drake said. "Just having the ability to kind of use my versatility as a weapon in the open field is something that really spoke to me." "(Insert running back) is going to see time at receiver in (insert year)" is an annual offseason motif, though the Raiders do have one of the league's thinnest receiver depth charts. They also targeted wideouts at a league-low 43.4 percent rate in 2020. There could be something to this, but Drake was oddly ineffective as a pass catcher his 1.5 years in Arizona, averaging a measly 5.8 yards per grab. Drake is going to have to catch a lot of passes for his opulent contract to make any sense. He is on the PPR FLEX radar behind Josh Jacobs. 

Source: The Athletic
Mar 25, 2021, 5:46 PM ET

Haha this is so true.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

Can't wait to see one of the least elusive backs in the NFL line up at receiver. 

Elusiveness was always one of his strong suits prior to last season - not sure if he was just an awful fit there or what happened exactly in 2020.

19 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Elusiveness was always one of his strong suits prior to last season - not sure if he was just an awful fit there or what happened exactly in 2020.

He was a middle of the road guy in all of his elusiveness metrics throughout his career, but it's important to remember how little work he until last season. There's a big difference between breaking tackles on 8 touches a game than on 20 touches a game. As the volume went up Drake lost even that moderate elusiveness. 

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

kingsbury happened. Drake was asked to beef up and to stay in the running lanes, not to bounce runs outside. I think this affected his elusiveness.

drake was very elusive with Miami but last year with AZ he looked bigger and slower. Drake mentioned in interviews that coaches wanted him to run up the gut more.

hopefully drake trims up and gets some of his explosion back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 3/20/2021 at 9:21 PM, DeliciousGravy said:

"salary cap reasons" kinda goes out the window when they spend 11 million to get two years of a RB (maybe the most fungible NFL position at this point) coming off a down season. One of the Ringer NFL podcasts was talking about this and one of them said, basically, "The Raiders are doing this all wrong. You're supposed to spend on money on your OLine and save money on your RB". I agree with that. 

• Like 4
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Kenyan Drake 2021 Outlook
On 3/27/2021 at 4:36 AM, yossarian said:

"salary cap reasons" kinda goes out the window when they spend 11 million to get two years of a RB (maybe the most fungible NFL position at this point) coming off a down season. One of the Ringer NFL podcasts was talking about this and one of them said, basically, "The Raiders are doing this all wrong. You're supposed to spend on money on your OLine and save money on your RB". I agree with that. 

I completely agree that in conjunction with paying that much for Drake, it's a total head-scratcher. Maybe they know something about their roster the rest of us don't? (But I highly doubt it.)

13 hours ago, DeliciousGravy said:

. Maybe they know something about their roster the rest of us don't? (But I highly doubt it.)

Eh.... I'm going to assume that yes they do know things about the roster we don't know :D
Would we agree if we had full insight? Probably not, because it does seem at times they have been enjoying the local pharmaceutical options a bit much, but I think we can be sure that they know more and have a plan.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:36 AM, yossarian said:

People forget how Gruden likes to act like a GM and how is is bad at it, like laughably bad.

Hey though, if they want to give 100M to a coach that has a career win percentage of 50% good for them I guess...

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Hey though, if they want to give 100M to a coach that has a career win percentage of 50% good for them I guess...

"Hey, we have a coach here who has a 50% win percentage... I guess that means a 50% chance of a Superbowl, right? Let's hire him!"

giphy.gif

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Gohawks said:

People forget how Gruden likes to act like a GM and how is is bad at it, like laughably bad.

What's especially crazy is that this team won 8 games last year with 3 additional winnable games against the Chiefs, Chargers, and Dolphins. At some point they have to realize that their weird from office moves like picking like Ferrell and Ruggs, which go against all conventional wisdom, or trading a Lynn Bowden, who you reached for in the 3rd round for a 4th round pick, might be what's keeping them from taking a real step forward.

I think spending the $ they are on Drake is another head scratcher. 

Edited by P@ckersFan