NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Marcell Ozuna 2021 Outlook

As long as he's healthy I expect another monster year, especially in that lineup. 

Dude is fully supported via statcast, he's a statcast superstar 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/marcell-ozuna-542303?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

He's in a premier lineup in a premier spot. I think he's an outstanding pick/buy at his current position and I think he's a little undervalued.

• Like 1

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised to see him finish with another Mvp candidate season. I think his floor is extremely high given his statcast numbers and his spot in that nasty lineup. I’m not certain he’ll reach 100 runs scored but he should be close. His HR and RBI numbers should be some of, if not, the best in the league. 

I could see 35 HR, 90ish runs and 120+ rbis leading the league with runs driven in. 

1 hour ago, colorado2013 said:

Anyone think thatl having to play the field, rather than DH, might set his offense back a little?

Hmm...hadn’t really thought about that. He DH’d a shade more than 2/3 of the time last season, and his numbers as a DH easily outpaced his numbers as an OF. Maybe coincidence? It’s a worthy point of discussion, however. 

2 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I don't know why he's going so cheap.  I haven't done a Mock or real draft with him going for more than 25.  

because there are so many similar type players that offer similar stat lines. (rendon, abreu, xander bregman arenado devers seager vlad?) then you got power speed guys going for more than ozuna like robert and tucker.

im happy drafting whoever slips into the late 4th/5th (got one share of ozuna at 53 and passed on him at 36/37 for tucker and robert

Edited by colepenhagen

2 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

He had an elite batting average, all he doesnt do is steal

As much as I love him, his underlying metrics are calling for some pull back in BA... If he goes 270+ I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...

They explained in the pre-game show on ESPN that the idiot decided on his own to mess with his swing in the off season to get more "lift" so he could hit more homers.  Dude, you were hitting plenty enough of those! 

Anyway that is causing him to not be able to hit the balls he used to be able to hit for homers.  Especially those up in the zone.  They had the whole blue-cool, red-hot stuff graphic and he is totally blue now ... in more ways than one.

Now they have to get him back to what worked when he had, ya know, a career season last year.  Grrrrr.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They explained in the pre-game show on ESPN that the idiot decided on his own to mess with his swing in the off season to get more "lift" so he could hit more homers.  Dude, you were hitting plenty enough of those! 

Anyway that is causing him to not be able to hit the balls he used to be able to hit for homers.  Especially those up in the zone.  They had the whole blue-cool, red-hot stuff graphic and he is totally blue now ... in more ways than one.

Now they have to get him back to what worked when he had, ya know, a career season last year.  Grrrrr.

could the new baseballs be playing any factor?

• Haha 1

Not overly concerned w/ him yet, but a fundamental change in his swing after the last few years of great seasons is just WTF? I mean how did the brass sign off on this? 

His success is directly tied to the success of the three uber talented players in front of him, and Freddie in particular. If he doesn't get his S together soon, the walks will start to pile up for FF.

The current 5-7 hitters while solid players, are not game changer types and Ozuna better pull his head out quick. Earn that money kid, because you weren't signed just for your bat... it was equally for legit protection to the MVP. (Chipper needs to take him aside and explain the "team" vs. "me" concept apparently.) It's early, but the Braves success is secretly tied to Ozuna more than it may show on the surface.

3 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

No.  The balls are flying out of parks as much if not more than last year.  The extra height of the thread -- which was meant to help pitchers get a better grip and add a drag coefficient -- is more than neutralized by the fact that for reasons I don't understand it causes the the velo of these balls off the bats to increase (hey I said I don't understand why) thus travel further than before.  At least that was the results of a study done during spring training when they ran studies using both the old 2020 balls and the new balls in games this past March and that was the results.  The attempt to fix the stupid problem apparently actually made it worse.

And none of this really even matters because the problem isn't how far the ball is flying.  It is about being able to even hit the darn ball in Ozuna's case.

3 hours ago, LarryChip10 said:

Not overly concerned w/ him yet, but a fundamental change in his swing after the last few years of great seasons is just WTF? I mean how did the brass sign off on this?  ...

Like I said above, there was no indication the brass knew what he was doing in the off season the way the ESPN segment was worded.

I can believe it too.  Players do stuff on their own a lot in the off season.  So and so surprises his teammates and coaches by showing up after gaining muscle say.  Andrew Benintendi decided on his own to "pump it up" and muscled up big time over one off season thinking he would add to his power.  Instead he, like most ball players that become hardcore gym rats, just ended up losing the flexibility that is way more important in baseball.  And that was the moment in time that marked the very beginning of his fall from grace.

Now changing your swing if you stink is one thing but why Ozuna decided he needed more lift when he was already a home run machine is just plain weird.  But ballplayers do tend to be pretty weird at times.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2021 at 9:37 PM, Kramjam24 said:

In order for that to be a factor one would have to make contact with the ball first! My dude is striking out every other at bat currently sitting tied for 3rd most in the league.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Nice strikeout looking with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth..... Soooo how much longer till this dude is droppable? He looks worse than Albert Pujols

Ozuna is in such a deep slump that he strikes out even when he's out of the game.

• Haha 1