NBC Sports Edge Forums

8 hours ago, stay_woke said:

Nice strikeout looking with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth..... Soooo how much longer till this dude is droppable? He looks worse than Albert Pujols

I'd say you can drop him maybe a half dozen years from now since the NL should have the DH by next year.

It is called a slump and when it happens at the start of the season people just notice it more.  So much so that they attribute outs to him even when he didn't make an out.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The dude is a scumbag. Hope he never plays again.

The police themselves released a statement stating their officers witnessed the incident. Your attacks on the media seem out of place here.

[ Let's consider the "cops have lied in the past" point as (a) noted, and (b) completely irrelevant to a situation where there's no obvious motive for anyone involved on the law enforcement side to ma

Got little option but to play him right now with the scrubs available on the wire. But the Bravos really need to consider benching him for a few games to get back in sync. 

They let the ghost of Mad-Bum no hit them yesterday for christ sake.

What ever swing changes he made, it's time to reverse them Marcell!

12 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Got little option but to play him right now with the scrubs available on the wire. But the Bravos really need to consider benching him for a few games to get back in sync. 

They let the ghost of Mad-Bum no hit them yesterday for christ sake.

What ever swing changes he made, it's time to reverse them Marcell!

Outside of Acuna, nobody on that team is hitting right now. 

4 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Outside of Acuna, nobody on that team is hitting right now. 

MVP is fine, average is low but SSS and some bad luck. But like I said before, he's going to suffer if Ozuna remains an auto out. Given his sudden desire to secretly change his swing for zero reasons that makes sense to anyone, I'm not convinced this is a quick fix. While nowhere near the same type of players mind you, Scott Kingery comes to mind as a guy who proved earth is flat... he fell right off the edge after a similar swing change, and years later can't find his original stroke.

(No, earth is not flat... but at a BBQ last weekend a buddies dog randomly pooped on the lawn and it stood up straight as an arrow, defying gravity, and a friend yells "See, that's all the proof you need, earth IS flat!") There might be a metaphor in there somewhere, but probably not...?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just took a look at his statcast, and there's still a ton of blue there. I know it's still a small sample, but the sample is starting to get larger. 

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Just took a look at his statcast, and there's still a ton of blue there. I know it's still a small sample, but the sample is starting to get larger. 

They explained it on ESPN a couple of weeks back.  He changed his swing over the winter to get more lift and it backfired making it impossible to hit high strikes and really hard to hit low ones.  Don't you just love it when a player goes out and hires some private coach and experiments on his own as if he needed any more "help" (lift) to hit homers in the first place.

Now Atlanta has got to get him back into his old swing which isn't something you can automatically flip a switch on.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They explained it on ESPN a couple of weeks back.  He changed his swing over the winter to get more lift and it backfired making it impossible to hit high strikes and really hard to hit low ones.  Don't you just love it when a player goes out and hires some private coach and experiments on his own as if he needed any more "help" (lift) to hit homers in the first place.

Now Atlanta has got to get him back into his old swing which isn't something you can automatically flip a switch on.

I wish I had know this before keepers were due...

There is certainly more to life than “launch angle” and “exit velocity” and other new fangled statistics...  

Hey Marcell, how about just putting the bat on the ball with the same swing that got you a decent pay day?  The Braves must be regretting that 4-year $65 million contract for this bum now...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 3:39 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

2020: 23% LD - 37% GB - 40% FB

2021: 22% LD - 36% GB - 42% FB

The main difference is his hard hit rates:

2020: 15% soft - 39% med - 46% hard

2021: 24% soft - 48% med - 28% hard

Barrels have dropped from 15% to 7%... Statcast hard hit from 54% to 39%... Avg Exit Vel down 93 to 89... Launch angle down 16 to 13... 

On the positive his o swing is down from 32 to 30 and swinging strikes from 13.5 to 12%... But Z contact down 84 to 80 the lowest of his career.

I couldn't find the swing change thing you referenced looking around, but that's where his contact results lie. Same batted balls just no where near the hard contact and barreled up. Discipline and swing and miss are fine. 

I pulled his zone chats on Fangraphs and I wanted to puke... He has a 0.000 ISO on balls in play in every zone except for dead center, and center low. Guy literally hasn't got a thing for extra bases that wasn't center cut yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I couldn't find the swing change thing you referenced looking around, but that's where his contact results lie. Same batted balls just no where near the hard contact and barreled up. Discipline and swing and miss are fine.

Sorry I can't help further on that one.  I don't watch ESPN pre/post game shows much at all.  Just stumbled on that one but can't tell you the guy that was talking about it.

• Thanks 1

Statcast stuff still looks horrid compared to his norm. What is going on here? Did he come into camp in bad shape? This decline does not make sense.

1 hour ago, mrfrood said:

Statcast stuff still looks horrid compared to his norm. What is going on here? Did he come into camp in bad shape? This decline does not make sense.

Did you read any of the thread? It's not that long

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
15 hours ago, Grungejrrgv said:

Did you read any of the thread? It's not that long

I did selective reading! Ok I see now that he did change the swing. That in itself is puzzling, especially given that he had a monster year last year. 

3 hours ago, mrfrood said:

I did selective reading! Ok I see now that he did change the swing. That in itself is puzzling, especially given that he had a monster year last year. 

Not really...  He got his four-year/$65 million deal...  He probably thought if he changed it to uppercut more and hit more home runs, he would get paid even more the next time...

He definitely seems to be more comfortable at the plate recently.  Hopefully he will continue to get more in sync since he has gone back to his old swing.   

I still think he is a good buy low option though, what do y'all think?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Zig Zag said:

He definitely seems to be more comfortable at the plate recently.  Hopefully he will continue to get more in sync since he has gone back to his old swing.   

I still think he is a good buy low option though, what do y'all think?

Do we know for sure he went back to the old swing? 

18 minutes ago, mrfrood said:

Do we know for sure he went back to the old swing? 

I am by no means an expert.  But I watch a lot of Braves baseball and his swing the last couple of weeks has certainly looked that way to me.  He is attacking the ball and approaching it with a much shorter swing and that might lead to more line drives but he will still get plenty of HR's playing in Truist Park.  Someone mentioned earlier that he had been working over the offseason with a new swing to get a higher launch angle.  That could very likely be contributing to his early season struggles. 

• Thanks 1