NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Marcell Ozuna 2021 Outlook

It's getting very difficult to maintain patience here. It looked for about a week he was turning a corner and now we're back to 0-9/4Ks in his last two games. He went 0-5/2Ks yesterday when the rest of the Braves managed to score 10 runs.

• Like 1

He got paid.  

Human nature to not put in 100% effort or put more pressure on themselves.   It happens all the time with players that sign big contracts. Lindor same.  Not 100% of time but enough to avoid drafting them.   They usually do bounce back though following seasons. 

Seems to happen with hitters more than pitchers though for whatever reason.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, B&F said:

He got paid.  

Human nature to not put in 100% effort or put more pressure on themselves.   It happens all the time with players that sign big contracts. Lindor same.  Not 100% of time but enough to avoid drafting them.   They usually do bounce back though following seasons. 

I hope you have some detailed evidence here, because this is just circumstantial evidence based on a small sample size.

17 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I hope you have some detailed evidence here, because this is just circumstantial evidence based on a small sample size.

maybe, but hes getting hard to freaking play

the guy was nearly triple crown last year.  did he spend all offseason partying???

40 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I wouldn't keep calling it sss.

He's shown no sign of getting out of the slump lol.

12 hours ago, B&F said:

He got paid.  

Ah, yes, the method that Jeff Blauser made famous...  You could always tell when he was in a contract year...  That was the only seasons he hit above .300...

12 hours ago, fingy said:

I wouldn't keep calling it sss.

He's shown no sign of getting out of the slump lol.

I meant SSS in terms of number of players who perform badly following the singing of a big contract.

3 hours ago, posty said:

Ah, yes, the method that Jeff Blauser made famous...  You could always tell when he was in a contract year...  That was the only seasons he hit above .300...

Trea Turner would be an MVP candidate if he was on a winning team.  Contract season. Ozuna last season.

I do not believe players consciously decide to play well for a contract or not play well after signing one.  It is just human nature.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, B&F said:

Trea Turner would be an MVP candidate if he was on a winning team.  Contract season. Ozuna last season.

I do not believe players consciously decide to play well for a contract or not play well after signing one.  It is just human nature.

agree with the first part. disagree with the bold. no one doesnt want or try to play well after signing a contract.

players play)ing for the contact do have more incentive to stay healthy and give more effort (training, practicing, eating, sleeping, partying ect)

Edited by colepenhagen

1-14 this week so far, I know I know be patient but it's getting tough at this point. We're 7 weeks into the season and a third of the way through the fantasy season and he's been my worst batter by far. At some point Im gonna need to drop someone and it's getting harder and harder to justify that drop not being Ozuna.

4 hours ago, stay_woke said:

1-14 this week so far, I know I know be patient but it's getting tough at this point. We're 7 weeks into the season and a third of the way through the fantasy season and he's been my worst batter by far. At some point Im gonna need to drop someone and it's getting harder and harder to justify that drop not being Ozuna.

I understand your frustration but don't do it. There's a chance I'm wrong and he has a bad year, but there's a much larger chance he gets right and has a typical year for him. And if he does, there's a big hot streak coming soon. Warm weather could be his cure. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2021 at 10:35 PM, StevieStats said:

As long as he's healthy I expect another monster year, especially in that lineup. 

Dude is fully supported via statcast, he's a statcast superstar 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/marcell-ozuna-542303?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

He's in a premier lineup in a premier spot. I think he's an outstanding pick/buy at his current position and I think he's a little undervalued.

This seems so far away now... Hoping he rights the ship soon it wouldn't take too much.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

This seems so far away now... Hoping he rights the ship soon it wouldn't take too much.

if you told me in march id be starting robbie grossman over Ozuna at the end of may id have laughed in your face...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jseay65 said:

Any good info out there on why he's struggling?

it seems like the 2 theories here are...

1) he changed his swing in the offseason

2) he got paid and doesnt give AF

4 hours ago, jseay65 said:

Any good info out there on why he's struggling?

He got his guaranteed money and doesn't care any more...  He will really care again when it is the last year of his contract...