Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Marcell Ozuna 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

My goodness... this is absolutely terrible.   I know his wife was arrested for domestic violence a couple years ago so maybe there is some connection.  But you would have to think the Braves will cut him pretty quickly if he has legal trouble coming his way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he gets suspended this year, it'll come when he's back from injury. For reference, Julio Urias was suspended 20 games. 6+ weeks for the injury, plus another 3ish+ weeks for the suspension means he's probably going to be seeing a lot of waiver wires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

...But you would have to think the Braves will cut him pretty quickly if he has legal trouble coming his way.

Whoah I don't think so. Didn't they just pay him $65M guaranteed? 

I think they're much more inclined to "trust the process" and see what happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SuperJoint said:

Whoah I don't think so. Didn't they just pay him $65M guaranteed? 

I think they're much more inclined to "trust the process" and see what happens.

 

Sorry, I absolutely only meant if there was some type of language in the contract where it could be voided.  If they don't have that in there then I am sure they will keep him on as long as possible.  Especially since he is currently injured.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Zig Zag said:

 

Sorry, I absolutely only meant if there was some type of language in the contract where it could be voided.  If they don't have that in there then I am sure they will keep him on as long as possible.  Especially since he is currently injured.

 

Gotcha. I've never heard of guaranteed money having a void clause (how would it be guaranteed then) but I'm definitely not an expert.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

If he gets suspended this year, it'll come when he's back from injury. For reference, Julio Urias was suspended 20 games. 6+ weeks for the injury, plus another 3ish+ weeks for the suspension means he's probably going to be seeing a lot of waiver wires.

Forgot about that. Though I remember thinking at the time that 20 games seemed light.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only bright side fantasy-wise is owners may be able to safely unload him well before the original 6-week stint is up. It shouldn't take too long to get a read on how serious this is - we'll know a lot more a week from now.

The only caveat to that is H2H vs roto leagues. If you can hold him that long and your team is competitive there's a chance he could be back in time to be ready for your playoffs in H2H.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ban this idiot for life. I don't care if he was provoked or not there's absolutely NO EXCUSE for hitting / choking a woman. 

Marcell Ozuna has been arrested in Fulton County on two charges on Saturday. 

Ozuna was charged with aggravated assault strangulation and misdemeanor battery - family violence according to jail records on the Fulton County (Ga.) website. Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that MLB will begin an investigation following his arrest, and will be subject to the league's domestic violence policy and faces a possible suspension. More information on this story as it develops. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

Whoah I don't think so. Didn't they just pay him $65M guaranteed? 

I think they're much more inclined to "trust the process" and see what happens.

He's not paid for games hes suspended so ya, doubtful that they just cut him immediately. They're going to let MLB investigate 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BadHombre said:

Yikes. He’s done for the year IMO

Thanks for this. The fact police witnessed it makes it significantly more likely he's done for at least this year. 

I mean who knows what really happened - she could be come kind of nutcase completely making stuff up.

However - eyewitnesses - particularly cops who are required to report stuff like this - are a dagger.

I'm going to give it a couple more days to verify if all of this is legit, because I've lost trust of media in general. Particularly snap reports like this. 

But as I said before it really would be helpful to have an extra spot - it's not as though this guy has been worth anywhere close to where he was drafted anyway. 

In Dynasty - I wouldn't panic. The Braves unloaded a dump truck full of cash into his backyard not too long ago. If he jumps through all the hoops set up for him (counseling, fines, other assorted BS - maybe even a day or two in jail) he will very likely be back considering the deal the Braves gave him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Thanks for this. The fact police witnessed it makes it significantly more likely he's done for at least this year. 

I mean who knows what really happened - she could be come kind of nutcase completely making stuff up.

However - eyewitnesses - particularly cops who are required to report stuff like this - are a dagger.

I'm going to give it a couple more days to verify if all of this is legit, because I've lost trust of media in general. Particularly snap reports like this. 

But as I said before it really would be helpful to have an extra spot - it's not as though this guy has been worth anywhere close to where he was drafted anyway. 

In Dynasty - I wouldn't panic. The Braves unloaded a dump truck full of cash into his backyard not too long ago. If he jumps through all the hoops set up for him (counseling, fines, other assorted BS - maybe even a day or two in jail) he will very likely be back considering the deal the Braves gave him.

He’s done, dude.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SuperJoint said:

$65M guaranteed suggests otherwise imo.

You would think - but we have had plenty of evidence that teams move on despite guaranteed contracts.  Albert says hi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BMcP said:

You would think - but we have had plenty of evidence that teams move on despite guaranteed contracts.  Albert says hi.

They cut Pujols in the 10th year of a 10-year deal. Just a tad more bang for the guaranteed buck, wouldn't you say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

He’s done, dude.

In redrafts, sure. Though I'll note the legal process can take a frustratingly long time so I guess it's possible he somehow shimmies back onto the team to end the year if the case hasn't been settled. The police witnessing his assault is a twist I don't think we've seen before so I have no idea how that'll change things. I'm not arguing whether it should end his MLB career, but I'll be stunned if it actually does.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

They cut Pujols in the 10th year of a 10-year deal. Just a tad more bang for the guaranteed buck, wouldn't you say.

Throwing out the first name that came to me - he’s done, man

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

In redrafts, sure. Though I'll note the legal process can take a frustratingly long time so I guess it's possible he somehow shimmies back onto the team to end the year if the case hasn't been settled. The police witnessing his assault is a twist I don't think we've seen before so I have no idea how that'll change things. I'm not arguing whether it should end his MLB career, but I'll be stunned if it actually does.

I mean, what the police apparently witnessed was his bludgeoning the woman with his cast and strangling her - he’s done.

Edited by BMcP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...