NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Marcell Ozuna 2021 Outlook

18 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I just stated the plain fact from the report that it elevated from a verbal argument to a physical altercation only after she decided to pull out a deadly weapon. She was already arrested for assault last year, and now she's got a deadly weapon pointed at him. She's not scared, she's chasing after him. 

Source? I didn't see this in the TMZ article 

4 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Source? I didn't see this in the TMZ article 

"The woman says she brandished the knife by her hip and "warned [Ozuna] that if he got closer, she was going to hurt him.""

How do you think a knife is held? You think she's pointing that knife at herself? Lol... Okay split hairs all you want, she brandishing a deadly weapon and telling him she's going to use it if he gets any closer... It doesn't specify say the direction it is pointed though when holding a knife and threatening someone it's reasonable to expect it is pointed in that direction, regardless it doesn't matter... The point still stands... She elevated what was a verbal altercation by brandishing a deadly weapon and threatening him.

Like I said already, people are going to have different takes on the incident, that's all well and good, I respect that... But there story is drastically different after hearing further details when it was said initially he should never be allowed to play again. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

"The woman says she brandished the knife by her hip and "warned [Ozuna] that if he got closer, she was going to hurt him.""

How do you think a knife is held? You think she's pointing that knife at herself? Lol... Okay split hairs all you want, she brandishing a deadly weapon and telling him she's going to use it if he gets any closer... It doesn't specify say the direction it is pointed though when holding a knife and threatening someone it's reasonable to expect it is pointed in that direction, regardless it doesn't matter... The point still stands... She elevated what was a verbal altercation by brandishing a deadly weapon and threatening him.

Like I said already, people are going to have different takes on the incident, that's all well and good, I respect that... But there story is drastically different after hearing further details when it was said initially he should never be allowed to play again. 

It seems like your saying her grabbing the knife somewhat excuses his actions, when your original point was about not trusting media outlets until all details are released, just wanted to clarify no worries 

If  a women grabs a knife and says don't come any closer, I must've said something to scare her as she isn't actively trying to hurt me, that doesn't make him any less of scum for assaulting a women just because she grabbed a knife at some point

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Right.  And a normal, nonviolent, sane person doesn't go and stangle/choke someone and club them over the head with a cast when they have a knife and say don't come any closer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El_Chingon said:

Right.  And a normal, nonviolent, sane person doesn't go and stangle/choke someone and club them over the head with a cast when they have a knife and say don't come any closer.

What should he have done? He tried to leave and she chased him. She was highly agitated and had assaulted him a year earlier. Now she is standing in front of him holding a knife. He reacts by trying to subdue her. He sure wasn't going to turn his back and try to leave. 

So what should he have done?

5 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

What should he have done? He tried to leave and she chased him. She was highly agitated and had assaulted him a year earlier. Now she is standing in front of him holding a knife. He reacts by trying to subdue her. He sure wasn't going to turn his back and try to leave. 

Gotten a divorce a year ago. Stop sympathesizing for this scumbag just because his wife happens to also be a scumbag.

1 minute ago, stay_woke said:

Gotten a divorce a year ago. Stop sympathesizing for this scumbag just because his wife happens to also be a scumbag.

Getting the divorce a year ago would have been the smart thing to do a year ago but neither one of them did the smart thing. 

I don't sympathize with him I am just curious how he should have handled it. Or if you were him and hadn't got the divorce the previous year, what would you have done?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

It seems like your saying her grabbing the knife somewhat excuses his actions, when your original point was about not trusting media outlets until all details are released, just wanted to clarify no worries 

If  a women grabs a knife and says don't come any closer, I must've said something to scare her as she isn't actively trying to hurt me, that doesn't make him any less of scum for assaulting a women just because she grabbed a knife at some point

That woman also has a history of violence as she was arrested for hitting him in the face with an object last year... So he may very well (and should) feel just as threatened when she pulled that knife out... So yes, it's completely different than battering and beating someone innocent and non-threatening -- not an excuse just vastly different context.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

There aren't different takes. There is a  right and a wrong take. All he had to do was walk away from the situation. It also has nothing to do with respecting opinions. This is a black and white situation. If anyone feels that assaulting a woman is justified under any context then I don't respect them or their opinion.

10 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

That woman also has a history of violence as she was arrested for hitting him in the face with an object last year... So he may very well (and should) feel just as threatened when she pulled that knife out... So yes, it's completely different than battering and beating someone innocent and non-threatening -- not an excuse just vastly different context.

It's not different at all. Ozuna should not have stayed with her if he felt unsafe. There's no context where what he did was acceptable and frankly it's making me very uncomfortable that you keep trying to find ways down play his actions This goes ways behind whether or not he comes back to help your fantasy team. 

Edited by jmcampbe11
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Getting the divorce a year ago would have been the smart thing to do a year ago but neither one of them did the smart thing. 

I don't sympathize with him I am just curious how he should have handled it. Or if you were him and hadn't got the divorce the previous year, what would you have done?

Gotten in his car and left. That's how he should have handled the situation. 

• Like 1

Are people legitimately trying to argue that Ozuna, a massive professional athlete named “The Big Bear,” was a totally non abusive person, saw his wife get a knife, felt threatened, and decided to strangle her in self defense? 

newsflash: in relationships with such a MASSIVE power dynamic in terms of physical disparities and wealth disparities, the odds of his wife being the abuser are close to 0 

I think the fact the wife thought she needed to get a knife in an argument is a point against his favor.  It means she knew he was abusive and wanted to be able to defend herself.  And I don’t blame her.  Strangulation is a huge risk factor for domestic violence deaths 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Gotten in his car and left. That's how he should have handled the situation. 

But he tried leaving and she chased him. This time she was holding a knife. Personally I wouldn't have turned my back to her.

But like I said a couple of days ago none of us really knows what happened. To many things get turned into click bait

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

There aren't different takes. There is a  right and a wrong take. All he had to do was walk away from the situation. It also has nothing to do with respecting opinions. This is a black and white situation. If you anyone feels that assaulting a woman is justified under any context then I don't respect them or their opion

It's not different at all. Ozuna should not have stayed with her if he felt unsafe. There's no context where what he did was acceptable and frankly it's making me very uncomfortable that you keep trying to find ways down play his actions This goes ways behind whether or not he comes back to help your fantasy team. 

Stop with the strawman, I'm not downplaying or excusing his actions, if you go back and read I said point blank it's not okay to hit a woman and have continually repeated I'm not excusing him just pointing out the context given the details... but the context of further details here is entirely important especially when talking about the prospect of him playing again those year...

It's also incredibly naive of you to think a woman with a knife can't kill or severely injure you and that she's no threat.

And yes, battering and abusing an innocent and non-threatening person is wholely completely different than a physical altercation with someone who has a history of violence, who chased you, and then actively threatening your life with a deadly weapon -- I mean you can't really get more opposite of a situation.

To suggest he can't play another game in the MLB because of this is ludicrous. It's not out of the question he plays this year pending the completion of the investigation and further details, but what we know now is completely different than the initial report.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Stop with the strawman, I'm not downplaying or excusing his actions, if you go back and read I said point blank it's not okay to hit a woman and have continually repeated I'm not excusing him just pointing out the context given the details... but the context of further details here is entirely important especially when talking about the prospect of him playing again those year...

It's also incredibly naive of you to think a woman with a knife can't kill or severely injure you and that she's no threat.

And yes, battering and abusing an innocent and non-threatening person is wholely completely different than a physical altercation with someone who has a history of violence, who chased you, and then actively threatening your life with a deadly weapon -- I mean you can't really get more opposite of a situation.

To suggest he can't play another game in the MLB because of this is ludicrous. It's not out of the question he plays this year pending the completion of the investigation and further details, but what we know now is completely different than the initial report.

Keep digging that hole...

Simon Digging GIF by Australian Survivor

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Low and Away said:

How about walking away and calling 911?  Someone in fear of their life doesn't strangle someone with one hand and bludgeon with the other.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

How about walking away and calling 911?  Someone in fear of their life doesn't strangle someone with one hand and bludgeon with the other.

My response has nothing to do with the Ozuna situation, but your point is completely situationally based.  If you are in a position, such as backed into a corner, where you can't just 'walk away' then obviously self defense would be one of your few options.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Ideally that would be the most favorable way of handling it.

1) She had already chased him outside

2) About a year ago she had assaulted him

3) She has a knife now

4) An assumption is she was highly agitated which seems fairly safe

Have you ever faced someone who has a weapon while you didn't? You don't turn your back on them thinking that just ends the confrontation.

We don't really know what happened and we probably never will

30 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The fantasy relevance of this discussion continues to shrink down to a single pixel on the horizon...

So far this season the fantasy relevance of Marcel Ozuna has been a pixel on the horizon

Art imitates life.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Low and Away said:

She had put the knife down when he assaulted her (according to the article posted), why would he need to subdue her by assaulting her if she didnt even have the knife anymore? seems like people are saying things the article did not claim

Edited by kmoore1521

All this back and forth... honestly, they both sound pretty terrible. None of us have all the facts, but based on what is in the public sounds like blame is 50/50. They both have terrible trust and anger issues and need to either seek counselling or end their relationship for good. There's not always a good & bad party in a conflict like this, sometimes both parties are the bad guy and are to blame. 

All that being said, pulling this back into the fantasy realm, 100% drop in redraft and honestly I'm not sure how you hold in dynasty or keeper leagues. Regardless of all the facts, with the cops showing up and witnessing him attacking her, and the media's insatiable appetite for scandal and driving narratives, he's donezo for a long time. Maybe you'll get to see him make a shot at redemption in 2023, if he's out of jail by then. Not sure how you hold him for that long. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

All that being said, pulling this back into the fantasy realm, 100% drop in redraft and honestly I'm not sure how you hold in dynasty or keeper leagues. Regardless of all the facts, with the cops showing up and witnessing him attacking her, and the media's insatiable appetite for scandal and driving narratives, he's donezo for a long time. Maybe you'll get to see him make a shot at redemption in 2023, if he's out of jail by then. Not sure how you hold him for that long. 

A lot of impassioned words in this thread about what justifies what, but it all comes down to this ^.

I'm not sure he'll ever be fantasy relevant again.

• Like 1

I really don't want to re-ignite this debate at all, but just for those curious to see what his wife looks like, I just clicked on this video thanks to the YouTube algorithms and she is the first person in it.💥  I'm not going to blame if you watch the rest of the video, either.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...