NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alejandro Kirk 2021 Outlook

Kirk was a bit of a surprise call-up in 2020 going from High A ball to the majors and triple-slashed .375/.400/.583 in 25 plate appearances. Obviously we're dealing with an extremely small sample size here, but he's produced at every single stop he's made so far in the minors:

image.png.342f68be6e44e96ea4a215e2895f05ec.png

As of right now, it seems like a lot of people are expecting him to be sent down for an undetermined amount of time to work on his defense, but he's already receiving good defensive reviews from fellow teammate Tanner Roark in spring training. Coming into today he has a ST triple-slash of .417/.467/.667 with 1 HR in 12 AB, and is already 1 for 2 with another HR today.

His ADP on NFBC is 289, meaning he's essentially "free" depending on your league size and depth. He's in great shape ("The Best Shape of His Life®") compared to last year, and should quite handily out-produce Danny Jansen and Reese McGuire at the dish. I think he eventually takes over full-time catching duties at some point this year, but "when?" is the million dollar question.

I'm buying.

• Like 6
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kirk was a bit of a surprise call-up in 2020 going from High A ball to the majors and triple-slashed .375/.400/.583 in 25 plate appearances. Obviously we're dealing with an extremely small sample size

I thought Reese McGuire had a solid grip on the backup catcher spot but Kirk might be able to beat him off.

Are you a jays fan? Jansen isn't lightyears better lol... Kirk is better at framing. There's a couple if pitchers who prefer to throw to him(Ray). Jansen has a little bit better arm but.. come on. Kir

Posted Images

I believe Alejandro Kirk is one of those players that is being severely underrated by the market. There are biases that we import to our player evaluations and one of those biases is our aversion to "unathletic" body types. For the most part this is a useful way of thinking, but if we stick to this rule too closely it will cause certain players to slip through the cracks. The fact of the matter is that everything about his bat looks pretty special and it costs you almost nothing to find out.

• Like 2

Oddly enough, I'd been going entirely on scouting reports. I hadn't actually seen the guy on video until today. He looks like Josh Gad running the bases, but who cares if he hits like that?

• Like 1

Jays have Jansen and Mguire competing for time at C amd Grichuk and Tellez as non starters competing for DH ab's.  Absolutely love this guy, but barring a (few) trades or injuries he will require you to tie up another roster spot as a likely bottom order bat.

• Like 3

I will fight the temptation to make a joke about McGuire's off-field issues, though those are a factor. More importantly, the guy was truly putrid last season, which is why Kirk got his shot. 

The Jays are contenders. The best version of that team right now has Kirk on it. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Words said:

I will fight the temptation to make a joke about McGuire's off-field issues, though those are a factor. More importantly, the guy was truly putrid last season, which is why Kirk got his shot. 

The Jays are contenders. The best version of that team right now has Kirk on it. 

Yeah, Reese McGuire showed potential in 2018 and 2019, but his 2020 season reminded us all how quickly a player can... peter out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
41 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

They'd have to cut McGuire because he's out of options. 

Even if they wait 3 months to call up Kirk, they'd have to do the same thing though, right? Unless Jansen or Mcguire hits the IL, there's no way to call up Kirk without holding 3 catchers or cutting McGuire.  McGuire seems cutable, he's out of options, but who cares?  I guess he's been OK in some small sample sizes (terrible last year), but if he's not better than Kirk, what's the point? 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Even if they wait 3 months to call up Kirk, they'd have to do the same thing though, right? Unless Jansen or Mcguire hits the IL, there's no way to call up Kirk without holding 3 catchers or cutting McGuire.  McGuire seems cutable, he's out of options, but who cares?  I guess he's been OK in some small sample sizes (terrible last year), but if he's not better than Kirk, what's the point? 

Yeah, I admittedly don't know enough about Reese to know if his defense is superior and the reason they'd keep him on the roster. I just making a simple point. 

• Like 1

this is why the MLB is so ****** up.  it's clear that kirk is the best option for catcher with the team. 

keep a f***in defensive replacement on the roster but put your best ******** team on the field.

i'm not rooting for a work stoppage, but i'm also rooting for a work stoppage because this dumb **** needs to end with service time manipulation.

/rant

Edited by crotchcrickets
1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

this is why the MLB is so ****** up.  it's clear that kirk is the best option for catcher with the team. 

keep a f***in defensive replacement on the roster but put your best ******** team on the field.

i'm not rooting for a work stoppage, but i'm also rooting for a work stoppage because this dumb **** needs to end with service time manipulation.

/rant

I dunno, feel like there isn't anything in the mlb rules that's causing the problem here. The fact that they can't sent mcquire down to the minors is more of the issue than keeping Kirk down. 

The Blue Jays are trying to win the World Series. If Kirk is the obvious best player between the three, they will figure it out. 

I think there's a decent chance he makes the team still or that they make a trade for one of the other guys. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

That's not clear. It's not clear that he's even an adequate Major League catcher. Love the bat but defense is very much in question and it's either a catcher, 1st base, or DH profile, and that part of the Jays roster is unfortunately crowded.

Are there any leagues that don't have him eligible at catcher. He only appeared in nine games last season, seven of them at catcher. CBS has him eligible at catcher. 

2 hours ago, rando said:

If you are in a Yahoo league, this guy has to be a deep sleeper. He is C elig at Y!

Pretty sure he’s catcher eligible on every platform. 

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, Words said:

Contenders for what?  Desperately mortgaging their future around the all-star break to try to eke their way into the AL Wildcard play-in game? 

• Haha 1