NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alejandro Kirk 2021 Outlook

15 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Contenders for what?  Desperately mortgaging their future around the all-star break to try to eke their way into the AL Wildcard play-in game? 

Let me rephrase. They spent like contenders this offseason, so it would be foolish for them not to put their best possible roster out there opening day. 

Whether they actually contend or not is another matter entirely. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kirk was a bit of a surprise call-up in 2020 going from High A ball to the majors and triple-slashed .375/.400/.583 in 25 plate appearances. Obviously we're dealing with an extremely small sample size

Are you a jays fan? Jansen isn't lightyears better lol... Kirk is better at framing. There's a couple if pitchers who prefer to throw to him(Ray). Jansen has a little bit better arm but.. come on. Kir

Well, unfortunately, they called Danny Jansen back up instead. This article breaks it down pretty well, but I think we may see Kirk on the move at the deadline; the Jays have a lot of catching depth,

Posted Images

4 hours ago, whips02 said:

Does Springer’s oblique issue open up a spot for Kirk to stay up at the start of the season and get AB’s?

It does theoretically open up some at-bats in the DH slot in the lineup. Grichuk should play almost every day in the outfield as long as Springer is out. They could just go with Tellez every day, but they seem to really like Kirk's bat and that could get him in the lineup more. 

• Like 1

I think he's more of a dynasty stash than a top 5 catcher this year. I think he'll be good on a per game basic, but unless Jansen gets hurt he's probably not going to play a ton ever. 

Lot of enthusiasm here on him and understandably so, but don't reach in redrafts.

• Like 2

There's a solid chance he ends the season as a top 12 catcher in re-draft, just seems like it will be a pain to wait for that. You might have to go through a month or two of minors or playing 2-3 times a week. You could be in a situation where you wait for that and then Kirk doesn't perform well in the majors.

Its also important to remember Kirk had 25 plate appearances last year, and besides that has not played above Single-A. Only 7 HR in 380 Single A ABs in 2019. Kirk has a lot of potential, but he still has a lot of seasoning to get through.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

There's a solid chance he ends the season as a top 12 catcher in re-draft, just seems like it will be a pain to wait for that. You might have to go through a month or two of minors or playing 2-3 times a week. You could be in a situation where you wait for that and then Kirk doesn't perform well in the majors.

Its also important to remember Kirk had 25 plate appearances last year, and besides that has not played above Single-A. Only 7 HR in 380 Single A ABs in 2019. Kirk has a lot of potential, but he still has a lot of seasoning to get through.

I hear what you're saying... And I totally get it... But everyone loves fat guys that can hit.

• Haha 2
On 3/24/2021 at 12:12 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I think he's more of a dynasty stash than a top 5 catcher this year. I think he'll be good on a per game basic, but unless Jansen gets hurt he's probably not going to play a ton ever. 

Lot of enthusiasm here on him and understandably so, but don't reach in redrafts.

He’s projected for around a 110 wRC+.  No doubt the dude can hit. But, to Brocks point, only projected for 83ish games. Barely double digit HRs & low 40s R & RBI numbers.

Unfortunately, I can’t see him as anything more than a “Well, I’m screwed at catcher anyway” type solution, unless you’re in one of those awful 2 C leagues.

I’ll definitely be monitoring the first couple weeks to see what the games player looks like though.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, 89Topps said:

He’s projected for around a 110 wRC+.  No doubt the dude can hit. But, to Brocks point, only projected for 83ish games. Barely double digit HRs & low 40s R & RBI numbers.

Unfortunately, I can’t see him as anything more than a “Well, I’m screwed at catcher anyway” type solution, unless you’re in one of those awful 2 C leagues.

I’ll definitely be monitoring the first couple weeks to see what the games player looks like though.

Two catcher leagues are the fantasy baseball version of self mutilation.

• Haha 4

My money league is a two-catcher league. That is why I've got Kirk along with Sean Murphy. I've got a chance to get a lot more production than guys who spent a lot more on the position. 

• Like 1

I wish we got official word about what they are gonna do. He needs a good nickname like Captain Kirk. or el capitan.

https://media.giphy.com/media/j64bk3bqOpI9XjOStt/giphy.gif

On 3/24/2021 at 3:12 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Catcher is the only position where I’d consider starting a guy in a timeshare—or even a backup.

All I want is 12 HR and palatable ratios (eg, a .790 OPS). If that comes in 300 plate appearances, so be it. 99% of catchers are never going to get good counting stats anyway.

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

i forgot where I read it, but I thought his nickname was Nacho

captain nacho it is. insert the butt squeeze nacho libre gif.

40 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

i forgot where I read it, but I thought his nickname was Nacho

Nacho Libre

Put a mask on him and he's Jack black the one with good hits

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Totally thinking about picking him up for posey in a ONE catcher league. I guess we should expect a 60/40 time share with jansen getting most of the starts?

2 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Totally thinking about picking him up for posey in a ONE catcher league. I guess we should expect a 60/40 time share with jansen getting most of the starts?

I’d pick up anyone over Posey in a one catcher league.

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’d pick up anyone over Posey in a one catcher league.

My thinking was I'd rather have a decent avg. and obp guy. I don't really want a catcher hitting .233 or worse and maybe get 15 homers with what is available on the wire.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, StevieStats said:

I thought Reese McGuire had a solid grip on the backup catcher spot but Kirk might be able to beat him off.

Reese does have a sweet stroke.  He sure knows how to rub one out of the ball park.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, gbill2004 said:

Reese does have a sweet stroke.  He sure knows how to rub one out of the ball park.  

Looks like another team might need his 'services' no since he is out of options on the Jays.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Looks like another team might need his 'services' no since he is out of options on the Jays.

I believe he still has options with the Jays, no?