Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alejandro Kirk 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

With the PT issues, Kirk seems like the perfect guy to pair with another guy in a one catcher, daily league -- you play him when he is in the lineup and play the other guy when he is not -- if you can spare the roster spot. Did that with Kiner-Falefa (Yahoo eligible) with a couple of late picks and hoping it turns out to be a pretty effective combo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kirk was a bit of a surprise call-up in 2020 going from High A ball to the majors and triple-slashed .375/.400/.583 in 25 plate appearances. Obviously we're dealing with an extremely small sample size

I thought Reese McGuire had a solid grip on the backup catcher spot but Kirk might be able to beat him off.

Are you a jays fan? Jansen isn't lightyears better lol... Kirk is better at framing. There's a couple if pitchers who prefer to throw to him(Ray). Jansen has a little bit better arm but.. come on. Kir

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

I believe he still has options with the Jays, no?

no, he's out of them. He either makes the team or he can sign somewhere else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Looks like another team might need his 'services' no since he is out of options on the Jays.

Yes, he'll need to try his hand with another team.

As for Kirk he reminds me of Pablo Sandoval... If you remember Sandoval was a catcher coming up and actually debuted as catcher, they moved him to 3B... The Blue Jays don't have a reliable catcher right now and plenty of flexibility with guys like Biggio and Semien so I don't expect them to move him this year but after some injuries and a hot bat they could eventually. I like this kid a lot but I can't rely on him as my starting C, and can't bring myself to roster 2 C... So keeping a watchful eye.

He might pair well if Will Smith if LA is dumb and sits him a lot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Yes, he'll need to try his hand with another team.

As for Kirk he reminds me of Pablo Sandoval... If you remember Sandoval was a catcher coming up and actually debuted as catcher, they moved him to 3B... The Blue Jays don't have a reliable catcher right now and plenty of flexibility with guys like Biggio and Semien so I don't expect them to move him this year but after some injuries and a hot bat they could eventually. I like this kid a lot but I can't rely on him as my starting C, and can't bring myself to roster 2 C... So keeping a watchful eye.

He might pair well if Will Smith if LA is dumb and sits him a lot.

well said

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Picard56 said:

My thinking was I'd rather have a decent avg. and obp guy. I don't really want a catcher hitting .233 or worse and maybe get 15 homers with what is available on the wire.

He’s projected to have a higher avg than Posey.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

He’s projected to have a higher avg than Posey.

 

Who's projection exactly? I've seen projections where they are both  gonna hit .275 this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If u drafted Kirk as ur starting C, shame on u. If u picked him up as a FA or a late round draft pick that cost u nothing and can stash continue to stash. He can hit...just remember why u got him. Spot starts with good bat skills and major upside in a trash heap called catcher position. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We knew going into the season that Jansen would still get more starts to start off. The Jays play 14 games straight after today without a day off, I'm sure Kirk is gonna get into there a few times. I believe he is also the personal catcher for Roark and Ray. Ray might be back on the 8th. As Aaron Rodgers would say, 'Relaxxxxx' just do it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally the first post: "I think he eventually takes over full-time catching duties at some point this year, but 'when?' is the million dollar question." It's been two games... you guys can't say nobody warned you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jansen is a little banged up, I'm willing to bet Kirk gets the start Tuesday. Seems like some people are concerned about playing time, but I am gonna stick it out still. The cream rises to the top...

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, knifeparty said:

Is Jansen a far superior defender then Kirk?  

I think most catchers would be considered superior defensively to Kirk. He hasn't been terrible (defensively) in the minors, but I don't think anyone sees him (and his body type) and thinks good defense. Jansen has generally rated quite good defensively in the majors (even though that's not what people thought in the minors).

All that said, it's hard to see the Jays not turning to Kirk more regularly. The team cut Reese McGuire to keep him on the roster. And McGuire's not terrible. McGuire should be on a big league roster. But McGuire is out of options, meaning the Jays will have to trade him or send him to waivers (were he'll surely be claimed). You don't just lose a player like McGuire for a guy you don't plan to use. and you don't keep Kirk in the majors not to play him. Particularly when he skipped AA and AAA.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I think most catchers would be considered superior defensively to Kirk. He hasn't been terrible (defensively) in the minors, but I don't think anyone sees him (and his body type) and thinks good defense. Jansen has generally rated quite good defensively in the majors (even though that's not what people thought in the minors).

All that said, it's hard to see the Jays not turning to Kirk more regularly. The team cut Reese McGuire to keep him on the roster. And McGuire's not terrible. McGuire should be on a big league roster. But McGuire is out of options, meaning the Jays will have to trade him or send him to waivers (were he'll surely be claimed). You don't just lose a player like McGuire for a guy you don't plan to use. and you don't keep Kirk in the majors not to play him. Particularly when he skipped AA and AAA.

McGuire was already released and cleared waivers, I don't think he's shown anything in his time in the MLB to warrant staying power over a potentially impact bat like Kirk's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

McGuire was already released and cleared waivers, I don't think he's shown anything in his time in the MLB to warrant staying power over a potentially impact bat like Kirk's.

You're right. I missed that. I saw he was designated for assignment last week. I'll admit that I'm shocked no team claimed McGuire. He's definitely a top 60 catcher in baseball, but some teams you rather have their own crappy back-ups. I mean McGuire is a good defender, is only 26, and actually had decent offensive stats in 2018 and 2019 (and terrible stats in 2020). For a free pick-up, that seems like a no brainer for some teams.

 

My point wasn't that McGuire warranted a spot over Kirk. It was that McGuire warranted a spot somewhere in the majors and the Jays could have just kept McGuire/Jansen in the short term and send Kirk to the minors while they tried to figure it all out. Not because Kirk was worse (he's not), but to try and not lose assets for nothing. The fact the Jays didn't bother speaks volumes as to how they view Kirk.

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...