NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Alejandro Kirk 2021 Outlook

From CBS:

Blue Jays' Alejandro Kirk: Given four-week timeline

Kirk (hip) is expected to return in four weeks, Hazel Mae of Sportsnet reports.

Previous reports indicated that Kirk could miss as much as six weeks with his strained left hip flexor, but it looks as though his timeline has been revised to be slightly more optimistic. The young catcher's injury was poorly timed, as he was just starting to heat up at the plate, going 5-for-13 with a pair of homers in his last five games after hitting just .148 in his first 12 contests.

• Like 1

Well he got bumped to the 60-day-IL, partly as a result of Dolis' injury causing a 40-man roster crunch for the Jays. This is a bummer. Jansen (who has homered in back to back games, though still sports a sub .100 BA) will get the primary run but the Jays may look to upgrade their catching through a trade, making Kirk very hard to hang onto without the IL space to do so.

17 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Well he got bumped to the 60-day-IL, partly as a result of Dolis' injury causing a 40-man roster crunch for the Jays. This is a bummer. Jansen (who has homered in back to back games, though still sports a sub .100 BA) will get the primary run but the Jays may look to upgrade their catching through a trade, making Kirk very hard to hang onto without the IL space to do so.

Your name is Richard Kimble and you mentioned Jansen.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, unfortunately, they called Danny Jansen back up instead. This article breaks it down pretty well, but I think we may see Kirk on the move at the deadline; the Jays have a lot of catching depth, and if they want to swing a deal, Kirk is a logical piece to move. It certainly seems the Jays will keep the McGuire/Jansen tandem going now, and it makes sense, with Springer back in the lineup, they can afford a light-hitting backstop (I like McGuire for fantasy strictly because he hits for AVG but no power). If you have Kirk stashed, its hard to know when he'll be back in the majors. The Jays won't be carrying 3 catchers.

https://bluejaysnation.com/2021/07/03/danny-jansen-is-back-with-the-blue-jays-alejandro-kirk-remains-in-triple-a/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh Yeah!!!!!

Manager Charlie Montoyo said Tuesday that Kirk (hip) is "100 percent healthy" but will remain on his rehab assignment for now, Arden Zwelling of Sportsnet.ca reports.

Kirk had been dealing with left hip flexor discomfort since the start of May, and he's gone 5-for-13 with a home run, a double, four runs, three RBI and four walks across five rehab games at Triple-A Buffalo. The catcher will remain on the 60-day injured list for now to get some extra plate appearances in the minors, but he should be available to return to the Blue Jays in the near future.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/blue-jays-alejandro-kirk-deemed-fully-healthy/

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Any ideas what Montoyo is playing at here? Kirk is fully healthy, and far and away the best hitting backstop on the team, but he's just gonna keep playing down in AAA? Why are we getting trolled?

maybe he is going to be one of their trade pieces? My guess is just building his legs up, hips can be tricky and take time to build up to an everyday role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

maybe he is going to be one of their trade pieces

Very likely as the Jays have tremendous catching depth and currently 5 catchers on the 40-man squad, something has to give and Jansen has homered back-to-back, McGuire has been steady too. He's still worth the stash IMO because there are some catcher-needy teams in the hunt like ATL, CHW, SD, SF that could throw him into a bigger role, but it depends on how long they really expect to be without D'Arnaud, Grandal, Nola, and Posey, respectively.

Jansen left last night's game with a hammy, and it has been a recurring thing for him, so there is a decent chance he hits the IL tomorrow and Kirk gets the call up. Still might be able to get the jump on him in a few leagues in case the reports that Jansen is hurting lead to the IL.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:49 AM, dontclapGonorrhea said:

maybe he is going to be one of their trade pieces? My guess is just building his legs up, hips can be tricky and take time to build up to an everyday role.

He's the longest controlled and highest ceiling guy of the catchers they have.  I don't think they would sell him while his value is close to it's lowest and he's got several years of cheap control ahead of him for a young up and coming team. My guess would be the opposite that he's not up because they want to trade one of the other catchers.  People love getting defensive catchers at the trade deadline so I could see them letting the vets play until someone trades for one of them.

Did he get called up?  He no longer has "NA" by his name in Yahoo any more...  Matrix glitch?  Space time continuum issues?

image.png.51e6c105421f2718eabcdfb60c4dd483.png

ETA:  He is hitting eighth tonight!

Edited by posty
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 5:10 PM, posty said:

Did he get called up?  He no longer has "NA" by his name in Yahoo any more...  Matrix glitch?  Space time continuum issues?

image.png.51e6c105421f2718eabcdfb60c4dd483.png

ETA:  He is hitting eighth tonight!

Then right back to the bench his second game back.¬†ūüĎé

• 1 month later...

Kirk had a nice 3-4, 2 solo HR game against the Yankees on Tuesday before last night's 0-5, and he's been showing more power lately, up to 7 HRs for the year. The real good news is he's been at the DH spot the past two nights as the Jays have rotated their other two catchers McGuire and Jansen behind the plate, so he's getting some good run with Springer out. He could make a nice impact down the stretch, hitting in a stacked Jays lineup, with a .279/.349/.504 slash over a small 129 AB sample.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Kirk had a nice 3-4, 2 solo HR game against the Yankees on Tuesday before last night's 0-5, and he's been showing more power lately, up to 7 HRs for the year. The real good news is he's been at the DH spot the past two nights as the Jays have rotated their other two catchers McGuire and Jansen behind the plate, so he's getting some good run with Springer out. He could make a nice impact down the stretch, hitting in a stacked Jays lineup, with a .279/.349/.504 slash over a small 129 AB sample.

Yep add him now if you need help at C

12 hours ago, tesla said:

in the first game of the double header, HR from Springer in the DH spot and from Jansen as C.
The plentiful at bats are likely over.

Bad advice, there are no catchers in baseball that will catch both halves of a doubleheader. I think Yasmani Grandal did it earlier this year, and he has the most old school manager there is. Most catchers not named Sal Perez are in the same boat, but none of those other guys play for a team that can score 11 runs in an inning. He's hitting, that's the main thing. So is Jansen, so I expect him to lose a few ABs, but not enough to scare me away. I don't mind rostering 2 catchers at this point to make up some GP, either, so I have him and Varsho paired on a few teams, and that was golden last night.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Bad advice, there are no catchers in baseball that will catch both halves of a doubleheader. I think Yasmani Grandal did it earlier this year, and he has the most old school manager there is. Most catchers not named Sal Perez are in the same boat, but none of those other guys play for a team that can score 11 runs in an inning. He's hitting, that's the main thing. So is Jansen, so I expect him to lose a few ABs, but not enough to scare me away. I don't mind rostering 2 catchers at this point to make up some GP, either, so I have him and Varsho paired on a few teams, and that was golden last night.

Bad advice?  what was my advice?
why would you think i was saying i expected him to catch both games of the double header.   who would possibly think that.
I'm merely stating that he's losing the DH at bats now to Springer and that Jansen made the most of his game.
I didnt drop him.  I just know the playing every day is over.
Next you'll be telling me that I believed that you killed your wife.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tesla said:

Bad advice?  what was my advice?
why would you think i was saying i expected him to catch both games of the double header.   who would possibly think that.
I'm merely stating that he's losing the DH at bats now to Springer and that Jansen made the most of his game.
I didnt drop him.  I just know the playing every day is over.
Next you'll be telling me that I believed that you killed your wife.

I agree, don't take the phrase so personal. I'll find the one armed man yet. Jansen had a big game again today too, so its definitely a hit to Kirk's current value. I just like him more down the stretch than a few other part timers like Kyle Farmer, Sean Murphy, Carson Kelly, Max Stassi, but you've got to squeeze the value in tandem with another option at C where you can.

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

I agree, don't take the phrase so personal. I'll find the one armed man yet. Jansen had a big game again today too, so its definitely a hit to Kirk's current value. I just like him more down the stretch than a few other part timers like Kyle Farmer, Sean Murphy, Carson Kelly, Max Stassi, but you've got to squeeze the value in tandem with another option at C where you can.

Hey Richard..think I found your next opponent for my upcoming PAY-PER-VIEW

ūü§£ūü§£ūü§£