NBC Sports Edge Forums

With some of the injuries the Diamondbacks have incurred, it looks like Rojas may get a chance to start consistently out of the gate. He's off to a nice start in Spring Training.

Eligible at 2B, may have OF in some formats as well. He's able to play SS and 3B as well. If Rojas' bat shows up this year, I'd expect him to get time all over the diamond and gain eligibility at 3B and SS.

Rojas has not proven he's more than a Quad A player at this point, but he put together an incredible season in 2019 in AA - AAA: 479 PA, 23 HR, 33 SB, .332 BA, .418 OBP. At a bargain basement price, he's worth a shot to see if this year he can translate his production to the MLB. This may be the first full time opportunity he has had, as 2019 and 2020 he was coming off the bench and did not have any consistency. With Ketel Marte slated to open the season at CF, the competition for playing time in the IF consists of Nick Ahmed, Eduardo Escobar, and Asdrubal Cabrera. Rojas is a LHH, so I think he will at least start out in a strong side platoon at 2B with Cabrera. But I could also see him steal some ABs from Ahmed and Escobar if he produces.

• Like 6
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With some of the injuries the Diamondbacks have incurred, it looks like Rojas may get a chance to start consistently out of the gate. He's off to a nice start in Spring Training. Eligible at 2B,

Yeah I am a big believer in exit velo and those sort of metrics, but something is up with the measuring at Salt River Fields (home of both DBacks and Rox and a really great spot to catch a ST game for

Buy the dip!!

2 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

With some of the injuries the Diamondbacks have incurred, it looks like Rojas may get a chance to start consistently out of the gate. He's off to a nice start in Spring Training.

Eligible at 2B, may have OF in some formats as well. He's able to play SS and 3B as well. If Rojas' bat shows up this year, I'd expect him to get time all over the diamond and gain eligibility at 3B and SS.

Rojas has not proven he's more than a Quad A player at this point, but he put together an incredible season in 2019 in AA - AAA: 479 PA, 23 HR, 33 SB, .332 BA, .418 OBP. At a bargain basement price, he's worth a shot to see if this year he can translate his production to the MLB. This may be the first full time opportunity he has had, as 2019 and 2020 he was coming off the bench and did not have any consistency. With Ketel Marte slated to open the season at CF, the competition for playing time in the IF consists of Nick Ahmed, Eduardo Escobar, and Asdrubal Cabrera. Rojas is a LHH, so I think he will at least start out in a strong side platoon at 2B with Cabrera. But I could also see him steal some ABs from Ahmed and Escobar if he produces.

will add he gets 4 games in 4 days to open the season, only 7 other teams get it also, the rest get 3. Then he goes to Coors for 3 more so I'm often targeting him and Locastro late and seeing how the early lineups shape up with also a OF spot open with Calhoun set to miss the start of the season. Ketel could play 2b, Locastro CF but Rojas could also play a corner OF in this situation.

Yes I'm in. Exit velocity anyone? (from rotographs - March 18th)

Josh Rojas
Combined PA: 227
2019 Max EV: 107.4
2020 Max EV: 104.2
Combined Max: 107.4
2021 Max EV: 109.9

Rojas has shown balanced minor league production, but he has not been able to transfer it to the majors (.567 OPS). He been on fire during spring training (1.086 OPS) while playing shortstop. He late sleeper for steals with 38 in 2018 and 33 in 2019 across all levels.

9 minutes ago, twoseemer said:

Josh Rojas

Rojas has shown balanced minor league production, but he has not been able to transfer it to the majors (.567 OPS). He been on fire during spring training (1.086 OPS) while playing shortstop. He late sleeper for steals with 38 in 2018 and 33 in 2019 across all levels.

Yeah I am a big believer in exit velo and those sort of metrics, but something is up with the measuring at Salt River Fields (home of both DBacks and Rox and a really great spot to catch a ST game for that matter)...we are seeing some huge outliers pop up from that stadium...tough to put a ton of stock in what is being reported there.

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, turner46 said:

Varsho sent down making it almost certain that Rojas should get some early run and hopefully he runs with it!!!

Roster Resource now has him as the #5 hitter in strong side platoon.

The only projection system that is projecting him for semi full time playing is Zips, which is projecting him for 13 HR and 18 SB in 128 games.

• Like 1
On 3/21/2021 at 7:03 PM, twoseemer said:

Josh Rojas

Not sure what your point is with the exit velocity because a MAX EV of 104 is horrible and 107 isn't great... Last year a max of 107 would put you 125th in the league (by player not event) out of 142 eligible players tied with David Fletcher... 104 would drop you to 140 out of 142 eligible players.

But then again he didn't play well so doesn't really mean much I guess.

His sprint speed was 76th and 63rd percentiles in 19 and 20... 

Based on his minor league success perhaps he just needed time to adjust to MLB pitching, I'm keeping an eye on him to see if this spring success carries forward, but nothing I see in his major league time that's an indicator.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2021 at 8:17 AM, StevieStats said:

Not sure what your point is with the exit velocity because a MAX EV of 104 is horrible and 107 isn't great... Last year a max of 107 would put you 125th in the league (by player not event) out of 142 eligible players tied with David Fletcher... 104 would drop you to 140 out of 142 eligible players.

Based on his minor league success perhaps he just needed time to adjust to MLB pitching, I'm keeping an eye on him to see if this spring success carries forward, but nothing I see in his major league time that's an indicator.

I think he was noting the increase so far in 2021. 

just been looking at players who have increased their EV for what ever reason and yes noting the increase in 2021.

Regarding his position? Roster resource has him at 2B but he can play SS/3B/OF as he did in the minors.

He was drafted in my NL only league. He was going to be my $1 player towards the end of the draft. He ended up being called earlier and went for $6. I lost out on him being $1. Oh well.

Edited by twoseemer
On 3/25/2021 at 9:17 AM, StevieStats said:

On 3/25/2021 at 9:27 AM, StevieStats said:

Also worth noting his minor league explosion was in the PCL...

10 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I think he was noting the increase so far in 2021. 

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any updates on his role and where he will hit (if he starts)??

just been looking at players who have increased their EV for what ever reason and yes noting the increase in 2021.

Regarding his position? Roster resource has him at 2B but he can play SS/3B/OF as he did in the minors.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any updates on his role and where he will hit (if he starts)??

He will be the starting 2B. Hasn't been officially confirmed anywhere that's where he's played majority of Spring and the position is wide open. He's capable of playing anywhere in the field, though.

12 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

He will be the starting 2B. Hasn't been officially confirmed anywhere that's where he's played majority of Spring and the position is wide open. He's capable of playing anywhere in the field, though.

If he gets everyday work, potentially a 15/20 guy with multi position eligibility at some point?

2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

If he gets everyday work, potentially a 15/20 guy with multi position eligibility at some point?

Personally I think there is bigger potential but the projection systems are projecting that as a baseline if given playing time.

• Like 1

Back in the lineup tonight against Blake Snell after going 0-5 last night.  So it seems like he has some good will built up.  Not expecting much tonight against Snell.  In at SS again, maybe he gains SS eligibility?

At least it will only be an ofer instead of another ofth