NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Austin Slater 2021 Outlook

People are forgetting just how great this guy was in 2020.  Confirmed every day Left fielder for the giants.  No utility role.  Very small sample size, I know, but he basically showed 25/40 potential.  Walks went right up and K's went right down.  All upside for a dirt cheap price.  he got hurt a little early in spring. He's batting in the back half of the order but I doubt this will last, it's probably just to give him fewer at bats to take the pressure off his recovery.  A guy like this just needs to be owned in deeper formats 12 teams or more. Super sleeper potential. 

21 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

People are forgetting just how great this guy was in 2020.  Confirmed every day Left fielder for the giants.  No utility role.  Very small sample size, I know, but he basically showed 25/40 potential.  Walks went right up and K's went right down.  All upside for a dirt cheap price.  he got hurt a little early in spring. He's batting in the back half of the order but I doubt this will last, it's probably just to give him fewer at bats to take the pressure off his recovery.  A guy like this just needs to be owned in deeper formats 12 teams or more. Super sleeper potential. 

Source on the everyday LF?   Roster Resource has Alex Dickerson in LF, Dubon in CF and Yaz in RF with Slater on the short side on a LF platoon with Dickerson. 

Slater projected for 259 ABs with .254 avg, 7 HRs and 7 SBs

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Confirmed every day Left fielder for the giants.

Got a source for this?  Roster Resource is still projecting him in a time share with Dickerson, and I haven't seen anything that says the latter is losing his hold on the strong side PAs.

Also, you can't ust yadda-yadda small sample size and project him for 25/40 based on 104 PAs of 5/8.  This is a guy who's hit 59 total homers as a professional ball player over ~2500 PAs.  We love to see these guys who come out of nowhere and unlock power, but there's a strong survivorship bias going on where we don't see or notice the many who fade out without the benefit of a visible hot streak during a 2 month season.

There could be something here, but saying he's must-own in 12 teamers is a bit of a stretch even if he is a regular in a terrible lineup.

• Like 1

Can you please link where the Giants confirmed him as the everyday LF? I would assume Yaz, Dubon, and Dickerson (vs RHP) will be manning the OF for the most part. I hope I'm wrong though, as I also bought into the 2020 breakout.

He's always taken his walks, he hit .312 throughout 6 seasons in the minors, but has hit .237 against RHP in the majors in 383 PA so it's tough to just assume the Giants will just roll him out there everyday. As for the SB, I wouldn't bank on more than 15 from him over the course of a full year.

Edited by SwayzeExpress

Might be reading this wrong but:

Player Note Sat, Mar 13

Austin Slater hit a three-run bomb to help propel the Giants to a 5-4 victory over Cleveland on Saturday.  

Advice: After being sidelined on precaution for hamstring issues, Slater returned to the top of the Giants lineup in great fashion. Though a potential super-utility player, manager Gabe Kapler confirmed that Slater will stick in the outfield in 2021. In 2020, the 28-year-old posted a .914 OPS in 104 plate appearances, and is a reasonable late-round fantasy pickup. 

(NBCSportsEDGE.com)

1 minute ago, KingJoffrey said:

Might be reading this wrong but:

Player Note Sat, Mar 13

Austin Slater hit a three-run bomb to help propel the Giants to a 5-4 victory over Cleveland on Saturday.  

Advice: After being sidelined on precaution for hamstring issues, Slater returned to the top of the Giants lineup in great fashion. Though a potential super-utility player, manager Gabe Kapler confirmed that Slater will stick in the outfield in 2021. In 2020, the 28-year-old posted a .914 OPS in 104 plate appearances, and is a reasonable late-round fantasy pickup. 

(NBCSportsEDGE.com)

Yeah you are. What it's saying is that Slater won't be playing any position other than the OF. In previous years he's played 29 games at 1B, one at 2B and one at 3B. The 'super-utility' tag is quite a stretch.

5 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

If he's platooning, how is he a reasonable late round fantasy pickup?

I very much doubt Dubon plays ahead of him if he's healthy, but we'll see.

Costs nothing to gamble.

Because it's a late round pickup? Who knows, but you're right, he's a dart throw and he could work out extremely well.

If Slater hits well enough to warrant the playing time then maybe Dubon becomes the super utility guy. At this point, until we hear otherwise, we've got to assume the Slater and Dickerson are gonna be in a platoon. And if they are, those of us in daily leagues can slot Slater into our lineups vs lefties and still reap the rewards. The thing to take away from the spring training games is that the Giants are at least giving Slater at bats vs RHP.

• Like 2

This is the one guy I want to come away from my drafts with. Everyone forgot about him because he was hurt for a good chunk of the year and then he mysteriously didn't start a lot of games at the end despite being "healthy". Maybe he wasn't. 

Regardless, he only played 31 games, but he stole 8 bags and hit 5 home runs with a .282 avg, .408 OBP and .914 OPS. 

He went more pull heavy last year and tried lifting the ball more and the results were obviously there. I'm honestly shocked he isn't getting more hyped even though it was an incredibly sss. Guys who hit for avg/pwr/spd don't grow on trees. 

I'm hoping to fill out my five man outfield in my roto league and then snapping him after round 18 to be my only bench bat and hoping he earns full time at bats. If he hits like he did last season, I don't doubt that he will. 

9 hours ago, street sharks said:

This is the one guy I want to come away from my drafts with. Everyone forgot about him because he was hurt for a good chunk of the year and then he mysteriously didn't start a lot of games at the end despite being "healthy". Maybe he wasn't. 

Regardless, he only played 31 games, but he stole 8 bags and hit 5 home runs with a .282 avg, .408 OBP and .914 OPS. 

He went more pull heavy last year and tried lifting the ball more and the results were obviously there. I'm honestly shocked he isn't getting more hyped even though it was an incredibly sss. Guys who hit for avg/pwr/spd don't grow on trees. 

I'm hoping to fill out my five man outfield in my roto league and then snapping him after round 18 to be my only bench bat and hoping he earns full time at bats. If he hits like he did last season, I don't doubt that he will. 

As president of the Austin Slater fan club I feel like I should share my thoughts:

1. He is currently penciled in as the 4th outfielder behind Dubon, Dickerson, & Yastrzemski.

2. The mini breakout he showed last year looks real to me. Over the last 3 years: barrel % increased from 2.3 to 10.1 to 14.1. Exit velo improved from 87.3 to 88.7 to 89.2. Launch angle improved from 2.6 to 3.5 to 10.9. xBA improved from .208 to .231 to .303. He’s striking out less, walking more, hitting fewer groundballs, and chasing fewer pitches outside the strike zone.

3. His soft tissue is made up of a combination of collagen, Kleenex, and those long, thin pretzels making him quite susceptible to soft tissue injuries.

4. If he could stay healthy and receive full time at bats, I believe he could be a top 50 player. As it stands he’s just a watch for me in weekly leagues. If something happens to one of the starters, cue the obligatory “run, don’t walk to the waiver wire” comments. I think he makes for a savvy late round pickup in daily leagues since you can plug him in when he’s starting. He will bat leadoff against lefties and absolutely mashes them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Definitely a watch and monitor guy. Good DFS option against LHPs. But the way the lineup is constructed he won't get enough Abs to be relevant. And we still don't know if he can hit RHPs. I hope he gets a chance so we can find out!

On 3/22/2021 at 6:50 AM, meh2 said:

As president of the Austin Slater fan club I feel like I should share my thoughts:

1. He is currently penciled in as the 4th outfielder behind Dubon, Dickerson, & Yastrzemski.

2. The mini breakout he showed last year looks real to me. Over the last 3 years: barrel % increased from 2.3 to 10.1 to 14.1. Exit velo improved from 87.3 to 88.7 to 89.2. Launch angle improved from 2.6 to 3.5 to 10.9. xBA improved from .208 to .231 to .303. He’s striking out less, walking more, hitting fewer groundballs, and chasing fewer pitches outside the strike zone.

3. His soft tissue is made up of a combination of collagen, Kleenex, and those long, thin pretzels making him quite susceptible to soft tissue injuries.

4. If he could stay healthy and receive full time at bats, I believe he could be a top 50 player. As it stands he’s just a watch for me in weekly leagues. If something happens to one of the starters, cue the obligatory “run, don’t walk to the waiver wire” comments. I think he makes for a savvy late round pickup in daily leagues since you can plug him in when he’s starting. He will bat leadoff against lefties and absolutely mashes them.

Well, Dubon could not hit well enough to stick in the OF and Dickerson is also inj prone...so we could see serious Slater playing time.  Hopefully Kapler's platoon leanings don't get in the way.

Same info as i put in W.Flores thread 2 weeks ago. 5 or 6 LHP SPs out first 9 (depending on where Freeland/Gomber fall). DH first 3, Longoria has plantar already, 80% chance no Belt first 3 (source Kerry Crowley).

@SEA

Apr 1 - Gonzales LHP

Apr 2 - Kikuchi LHP

Apr 3- Paxton/Sheffield LHP

@ SD

Apr 6/7 - Morejon LHP

vs COL

Apr 10 - Gomber LHP

(Freeland also possible)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering the cost he is a great pick up.  I am in a 14 team league.  We had our draft and he is on the wire.

He isn't really playable vs RHPs.

46 minutes ago, B&F said:

Considering the cost he is a great pick up.  I am in a 14 team league.  We had our draft and he is on the wire.

He hit .255 against them last year and had a .352 obp. I don't think we can put much stock in his numbers before last season with the changes he's made.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, street sharks said:

He hit .255 against them last year and had a .352 obp. I don't think we can put much stock in his numbers before last season with the changes he's made.

Thank you for posting that.  He has always been a high OBP guy.  He might bat leadoff everyday.

53 minutes ago, B&F said:

Just curious, who is on your bench in a 14 team league that you consider to be better than Austin Slater?

A 14 team league with standard roster spots, he absolutely needs to be owned.  It's a longshot but his upside is incredible.

2 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Just curious, who is on your bench in a 14 team league that you consider to be better than Austin Slater?

A 14 team league with standard roster spots, he absolutely needs to be owned.  It's a longshot but his upside is incredible.

Backups for starters that might not play every day.  I do not have room for Slater.  Otherwise I would pick him up.

This is definitely an Arizona HR but HRs off RHPs Plesac & Kela in B2B games a week out from Apr 1 should help him get some early ABs (which is all you can hope for, what he does with them is up to him). Both HRs were oppo tacos.

Edited by bbythepier

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, street sharks said:

Another bomb tonight off another righty (Kela)

I bet he ends up being the most added player the first week of the season

Most drafts are happening next week, the week leading up to the season.  I had a draft on Tuesday though and grabbed him with my last overall pick.  I think he's going to get drafted soon.

Unfortunately 1 thing I learned over the years, never underestimate the stupidity of baseball managers. But If I'm SF right now, and I know I have to play against the Dodgers and Padres, I need to hit hard on a few longshots to be competitive.  The same can also be said for Fantasy baseball sometimes.

edit: I'm scared he's going to go nuts on the weekend and I wont have him cheap on my other drafts next week.

Edited by KingJoffrey

I like Slater and the changes he's made, and I wish I had room for him on any of my mixed rosters. The big question right now seems to be playing time, but as long as he can stay healthy (which he didn't last year), then it would seem that PAs will come available with some of the fragile players SF has. And if he plays well enough against RHPs, then Kap will have to find PAs for him regardless.