NBC Sports Edge Forums

2 Things: He's been known to be talented hitter that was plagued with the '"Stanford swing" that has made him a worm killer for a long time. Lets just work off his 648 PA career sample that illustrated a 15.9% HR/FB rate.  His launch angle increased for 3.4 to 10.9 last year. So there is room for upside here.

Now the wet blanket on this.

He had 49 PAs vs LHP and 55 vs RHP. Which is NOT the normal distribution a everyday hitter sees. He got to face his platoon strength far more often. 4 of his 5 HRs were off lefties. 17 off his 22 K's were from RHP.  Dickerson being a worse defender + Slaters ablitily to draw walks vs all pitching means Slater can start eating into more PT. Just keep in mind he was still Striking out against them at an alarming rate.

We are somewhere between him being the next Chris Young or what people hoped Chris Young could have been.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 3
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As president of the Austin Slater fan club I feel like I should share my thoughts: 1. He is currently penciled in as the 4th outfielder behind Dubon, Dickerson, & Yastrzemski. 2. The min

This would happen to every single player back when Rotoworld was king. Now this place seems quite barren sadly 

2 Things: He's been known to be talented hitter that was plagued with the '"Stanford swing" that has made him a worm killer for a long time. Lets just work off his 648 PA career sample that illustrate

15 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

2 Things: He's been known to be talented hitter that was plagued with the '"Stanford swing" that has made him a worm killer for a long time. Lets just work off his 648 PA career sample that illustrated a 15.9% HR/FB rate.  His launch angle increased for 3.4 to 10.9 last year. So there is room for upside here.

Now the wet blanket on this.

He had 49 PAs vs LHP and 55 vs RHP. Which is NOT the normal distribution a everyday hitter sees. He got to face his platoon strength far more often. 4 of his 5 HRs were off lefties. 17 off his 22 K's were from RHP.  Dickerson being a worse defender + Slaters ablitily to draw walks vs all pitching means Slater can start eating into more PT. Just keep in mind he was still Striking out against them at an alarming rate.

We are somewhere between him being the next Chris Young or what people hoped Chris Young could have been.

Good post and good info. 

Chris Young...wow, what a blast from the past. 

47 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I am amazed this post count hit 26 within a few days.  Name me one non-rookie, mostly undrafted guy where this ever happened.

This would happen to every single player back when Rotoworld was king. Now this place seems quite barren sadly 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I'm tellin ya'll he needs to be owned everywhere

You don't leave someone with his upside on the waiver wire

Way ahead of ya. I have him in 11 out of 12 leagues! (Damn that Giants fan in that one league).

On 3/23/2021 at 4:53 PM, bbythepier said:

Same info as i put in W.Flores thread 2 weeks ago. 5 or 6 LHP SPs out first 9 (depending on where Freeland/Gomber fall). DH first 3, Longoria has plantar already, 80% chance no Belt first 3 (source Kerry Crowley).

@SEA

Apr 1 - Gonzales LHP

Apr 2 - Kikuchi LHP

Apr 3- Paxton/Sheffield LHP

@ SD

Apr 6/7 - Morejon LHP

vs COL

Apr 10 - Gomber LHP

(Freeland also possible)

According to RR, LaStella is the strongside platoon 1b and Ruf the weakside, and they have Belt on the bench. So I’m guessing we’ll see Ruf playing 1b in those early matchups?

Belt just returned to ST action from an injury, so i think when the season gets rolling Ruf will be the bench bat. RR is just speculation until there's confirmation from the team.

And here's some more speculation. Slater has started 4 out of the last 6 games all of them vs RHP. He's 4-9 with 3 homers, 6 rbi, 5 r, and 2 walks. On top of that, 6 out of his 9 spring training starts have been against righties. Over the last week almost every lineup that looks like it could be an opening day lineup, Slater is in it. I think we're getting close. If he keeps hitting like he is Kapler will have no choice but to play him more often than not.

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Guess who's leading off tonight?

It's nice to see, and obviously he deserves to play everyday, but they opened against a lefty.  Isn't he in a platoon with Dickerson?

3 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

It's nice to see, and obviously he deserves to play everyday, but they opened against a lefty.  Isn't he in a platoon with Dickerson?

Yes he supposedly is. But Kikuchi (LHP) is throwing tomorrow so we should see him atop the lineup again. We'll see what happens on Saturday vs a RHP.

Btw, he just went yard.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Yes he supposedly is. But Kikuchi (LHP) is throwing tomorrow so we should see him atop the lineup again. We'll see what happens on Saturday vs a RHP.

Btw, he just went yard

I don’t think they can sit him right now.

Edited by KingJoffrey

Hoping he plays against most RHP.  He deserves to, but Kapler likes platoons and the Giants might try to manage his games played thinking it will help him stay healthy.

Starting tonight against a RHP. Looks like he is getting an opportunity to be an everyday player. Needs to come up big tonight.

In the lineup vs one of the best RHP in baseball, Dubon on the bench. I know he hasn't really wowed in his first few games but the playing time is definitely a good sign. 

Other than the homer (which barely cleared the fence) on opening day, he hasn't done much.

Let's get a bloop single and SB tonight.

Edited by papasmurf
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any thoughts on him going forward?

A nice source of steals IF he gets consistsant playing time

With Tauchman in the fold, hes probably just a platoon bat against lefties. Can be a nice steals streamer but hard to roster consistently.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

With Tauchman in the fold, hes probably just a platoon bat against lefties. Can be a nice steals streamer but hard to roster consistently.

Yeah, sucks.  He is a better hitter than Dubon I think but Tauchman will steal a lot of playing time...only hope is he gets to play 3/4 time until Yaz returns and he rakes.

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, Flyman75 said:

Good post and good info. 

Chris Young...wow, what a blast from the past. 

If I'm remembering correctly Chris Young took the MLB disciplinarian job last season and then took the job as GM of the Rangers this year...yes I was right, confirmed. 

Edited by Richard Kimble