NBC Sports Edge Forums

11 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I’m not going to go look to deGrom’s exact stats, but no, he has not done pretty much the same.

Come on.

11 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

They're close enough (and even closer, like very scarily similar, in advanced stats) that I will bank the extra wins and take Cole easily RoS.  Plus, I don't need to worry about Cole getting injured (he's literally the model of stability), and Degrom has magically raised his fastball velocity over the past few years.  But still, even if you disregard injury risk, because I know that's controversial, they are both going to deliver ace like production and I'll take the large number of extra wins 

Since the start of the 2018 season:

deGrom: 524 IP, 687 Ks, 0.92 WHIP, 1.99 ERA, 2,21 FIP, 2.70 xFIP, 11.80 K/9, 1.92 BB/9, 0.65 HR/9, 27-21 record

Cole: 523 IP, 758 Ks, 0.94 WHIP, 2.61 ERA, 2.68 FIP, 2.76 xFIP, 13.04 K/9, 2.27 BB/9, 1.08 HR/9, 46-14 record

In summary, Cole strikes out a little more batters, but deGrom is a better bet for ERA because he gives up significantly less home runs than Cole.   And as Fbaseballgod pointed out, Cole is a better bet for wins because the Yankees have a better offense than the Mets (that's obviously not deGrom's fault at all, but for fantasy purposes it's all about the numbers not whose fault it is).

Look I have deGrom ahead of Cole on my board this year (no DH and a better ballpark for deGrom, and I'd rather have the better ERA than more wins), but Cole over deGrom is a very defensible argument in leagues where wins is a category.  Either way, the difference between Cole and deGrom is WAY WAY smaller than the difference between Cole/deGrom and whoever you want to call the 3rd best fantasy pitcher.

• Like 2
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I own Gerrit Cole in the only league I'm participating in this year and I still don't feel like I have enough shares. 

Carlos, is that you?

Good Lord.  In midseason form.  Hitting 101 on the gun.  Painting the bottom of the strike zone with changeups. Enjoy the ride fellow Cole owners.  

8 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

He's now better than Degrom because he shut down the worst offense in the entire league? Lol

The guy just made an argument comparing 524 worth of innings over 3 years and that’s what you take away from it? 🤔 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

He's now better than Degrom because he shut down the worst offense in the entire league? Lol

If I look at those numbers there The K and win diffrence cole has on deGrom is huge. Expecially the wins. deGrom might be the better real baseball pitcher but in fantesy points lgs I want wins, Innings and Ks 

• Like 2
On 5/1/2021 at 1:52 AM, Fbaseballgod said:

They're close enough (and even closer, like very scarily similar, in advanced stats) that I will bank the extra wins and take Cole easily RoS.  Plus, I don't need to worry about Cole getting injured (he's literally the model of stability), and Degrom has magically raised his fastball velocity over the past few years.  But still, even if you disregard injury risk, because I know that's controversial, they are both going to deliver ace like production and I'll take the large number of extra wins 

Seeing deGrom missing a start this week really does make you appreciate Cole's durability.  Yeah maybe deGrom projects for a little lower ERA than Cole, but it's hard to imagine there being more of a safe first-round pitcher than Cole: Right in his prime at age 30, never misses a start, his K rate is the best in baseball the past 4 years, his ratios are always elite every year (since getting out of Pittsburgh his worst ERA in any season is 2.88 and his worst WHIP is 1.03), and while wins are unpredictable, Cole is about as good of a bet as anyone for 18-20 wins given the Yankees mega payroll.  

The most incredible part of Cole's season so far is that he's actually been significantly unlucky to have a 1.43 ERA as his FIP is 0.48  

It honestly pains me that I only have 1 share of Gerrit Cole this year

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I own Gerrit Cole in the only league I'm participating in this year and I still don't feel like I have enough shares. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Seeing deGrom missing a start this week really does make you appreciate Cole's durability.  Yeah maybe deGrom projects for a little lower ERA than Cole, but it's hard to imagine there being more of a safe first-round pitcher than Cole: Right in his prime at age 30, never misses a start, his K rate is the best in baseball the past 4 years, his ratios are always elite every year (since getting out of Pittsburgh his worst ERA in any season is 2.88 and his worst WHIP is 1.03), and while wins are unpredictable, Cole is about as good of a bet as anyone for 18-20 wins given the Yankees mega payroll.  

The most incredible part of Cole's season so far is that he's actually been significantly unlucky to have a 1.43 ERA as his FIP is 0.48  

Can you stop bumping the Cole thread each day before he pitches. Scares the crap out of me each time I see his thread for no apparent reason. 😄

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Can you stop bumping the Cole thread each day before he pitches. Scares the crap out of me each time I see his thread for no apparent reason. 😄

I’m shocked - Shocked, I tell you - to hear he owns Cole.

2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

This post has the kiss of death right in the middle of it.  " never misses a start"

Throwing 99 mph in the 8th.  Amazing.   

I have never seen a pitcher throw 4 pitches with the effectiveness he does.    He uses his changeup the 4th most of all his pitches and it his most effective pitch.   

9 hours ago, B&F said:

I have never seen a pitcher throw 4 pitches with the effectiveness he does.    He uses his changeup the 4th most of all his pitches and it his most effective pitch.  

He's a sporting man and wants to give opposing batters a chance.

**If there's a chink in Cole's armor this year it's the horrible facial hair he seems to enjoy maintaining at a half-grown level. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ty5592 said:

#1 in fantasy. Even though I love my boy he’s not a guarantee to show up every 5th day like Cole. 

Durability is often overlooked by fantasy managers when drafting.

Edited by B&F
  • 3 weeks later...

He hasn't been unbelievably dominant for a few starts.  Any concern here?

Yankees lineup stinks.

7 minutes ago, B&F said:

He hasn't been unbelievably dominant for a few starts.  Any concern here?

Yankees lineup stinks.

His spin rates were down across the board today, right after MLB said they would be cracking down on substances more.  With that being said the umps totally screwed him today and he probably goes 6 IP 2 ER 8-9 K with a normal ump 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

His spin rates were down across the board today, right after MLB said they would be cracking down on substances more.  With that being said the umps totally screwed him today and he probably goes 6 IP 2 ER 8-9 K with a normal ump 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

This is an absolutely hysterical article:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yankees-gerrit-cole-josh-donaldsons-221946588.html

I love this section:

Cole was asked point blank if he’s ever used Spider Tack, which has reportedly become one of the most popular illegal substances in the game, and he paused for more than 10 seconds before answering.

“I don’t quite know how to answer that, to be honest,” Cole said. “There are customs and practices that have been passed down from older players to younger players, from the last generation of players to this generation of players. I think there are some things that are certainly out of bounds in the regard, and I’ve stood pretty firm in terms of that, in terms of the communication between our peers and whatnot.

“If MLB wants to legislate some more stuff, that’s a conversation that we can have, because ultimately we should all be pulling in the same direction on this.”

Cole's a UCLA graduate ... pretty sure he understands the linguistic distinction between an answer of "yes" and an answer of "no."  I think if a deponent tried a tactic like that on me during a deposition I'd probably lodge an objection and move to strike it as being "non-responsive."  

Maybe he took interviewing lessons from South Carolina's 2007 entrant in the Miss Teen USA pageant?

Edited by Overlord

Probably also compliment his attorney in the same breath for his excellent depo prep?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Probably also compliment his attorney in the same breath for his excellent depo prep?

That doesn't reflect excellent depo prep.

I've prepared 500-700 litigants for deposition, and that's exactly the kind of unprepared rambling nonsense you "coach" them to avoid.  

Edited by Overlord
1 minute ago, Overlord said:

That doesn't reflect excellent depo prep.

I've prepared 700-800 litigants for deposition, and that's exactly the kind of unprepared rambling nonsense you "coach" them to avoid.  

Oh you can’t fault a deponent for trying - amazing how many litigators might not  press him further and allow the answer to stand.

10 minutes ago, Overlord said:

This is an absolutely hysterical article:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yankees-gerrit-cole-josh-donaldsons-221946588.html

I love this section:

Cole was asked point blank if he’s ever used Spider Tack, which has reportedly become one of the most popular illegal substances in the game, and he paused for more than 10 seconds before answering.

“I don’t quite know how to answer that, to be honest,” Cole said. “There are customs and practices that have been passed down from older players to younger players, from the last generation of players to this generation of players. I think there are some things that are certainly out of bounds in the regard, and I’ve stood pretty firm in terms of that, in terms of the communication between our peers and whatnot.

“If MLB wants to legislate some more stuff, that’s a conversation that we can have, because ultimately we should all be pulling in the same direction on this.”

Cole's a UCLA graduate ... pretty sure he understands the linguistic distinction between an answer of "yes" and an answer of "no."  I think if a deponent tried a tactic like that on me during a deposition I'd probably lodge an objection and move to strike it as being "non-responsive."  

Maybe he took interviewing lessons from South Carolina's 2007 entrant in the Miss Teen USA pageant?

What a dummy. He's saying he uses that stuff.