NBC Sports Edge Forums

Stephen Strasburg 2021 Outlook

4 hours ago, tucker26 said:

That doesn't look like where a guy would feel discomfort were it just a vaccine shot.  Also, one would assume he would, at least, get the shot in his non throwing arm.

Edited by 89Topps
Just now, 89Topps said:

That doesn't look like where a guy would feel discomfort were it just a vaccine shot.  Also, one would assume he would, at least, get the shot in his non throwing arm.

Honestly don't put it past a baseball player to not to pay attention to details and he didn't even think about it at the time. I know people that got the Vaccine and they said their arm was hurting for a few days.

I'm sure it was a scheduled thing and it wasn't even thought of that there was guys playing the next day just because how else would you get them the vaccine? 

"hey, your day is this day. Everyone who wants one gets it. If you dont' want it that day, we don't know when you'll get it"

"He wasn’t finishing his pitches. Instead of driving toward the plate, he was peeling off toward the first base dugout. He was occasionally testing out his left side, then his neck. A camera later spotted him in the tunnel behind the dugout feeling around his right shoulder and neck."

As a healthcare workeer, FWIW, that description and the picture is roughly where you WOULD feel pain (i.e. deltoid where they give the shot). And the myalgias (muscle aches) from the vaccine aren't limited to where you get vaccinated (re: the left side and neck stuff).  

Structures-under-deltoid.jpg

That said, it's also impossible to say that this isn't also attributable to injury. Hopefully time will tell

Edited by cyberer

Realized I quoted an article and didn't post a source:

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/04/questions-about-strasburg-abound-in-blowout-loss.html

“We talked to him. He didn’t complain about anything,” Martinez said during a rare postgame Zoom session in which the jovial skipper turned testy.

How, then, to explain Strasburg’s miserable performance? Only twice in his career had he surrendered more than eight runs in a start: once in 2016 in Colorado (when it turned out he was injured) and once in 2019 in Arizona (when it turned out he was tipping his pitches).

There was little reason to believe the Cardinals knew what was coming tonight. And though injury seemed a more logical explanation, the aforementioned lack of a visit from the trainer suggested something else was going on.

“For us, it’s part of the process. He hasn’t pitched in a year,” Martinez said, referencing Strasburg’s lost 2020 season due to carpal tunnel neuritis in his right wrist. “We’ve got to get him out there. We’ve got to stretch him out. We’ve got to build him up. He was just a tad off today. His last outing was good. Today, he wasn’t as sharp.”

Strasburg felt like the loss in fastball velocity was a byproduct of his poor command, which was a byproduct of his poor mechanics. Unable to throw the ball where he wanted to, he had to dial things back just to try to find the strike zone.

“I would say I feel like I have more in the tank if I can sync it up a little better,” he said. “I think it was more of a product of trying to slow things down, unfortunately to the point where I could just locate a fastball. I understand that extra velocity helps your margin for error. But I think for me it’s just like trying to execute the pitch. And for whatever reason, I had to try to get it done at that speed, and it just didn’t work out tonight.”

It, of course, should be noted that most of the Nationals’ traveling party received COVID-19 vaccines (the one-dose Johnson & Johnson shot) on Monday morning in St. Louis. The club did not reveal which players elected to get the vaccine, and every regular who was expected to play tonight did play.

So ridiculous. It was clear to me there was something physically wrong with him in the 2nd inning last outing, but they kept trotting him back out there despite pitching like garbage for 3 more innings. 

• Like 1

This guy!

*sigh* any idea how long this will  last? Or is this one of those fantasy baseball “no timetable...who knows?” Type of things?

18 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

This guy!

*sigh* any idea how long this will  last? Or is this one of those fantasy baseball “no timetable...who knows?” Type of things?

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say since it's a shoulder, it's gonna be a while. Hopefully just inflamation.

Edited by Picard56
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Hopefully this is just him getting his yearly IL stint out of the way and gonna be healthy for the rest of the year. (knock on wood)

1 minute ago, Resident A-hole said:

Forgot I even had this guy... Hopefully he can get back to it soon.

same here, kind of better that way so you don't get the urge to drop.