NBC Sports Edge Forums

boo mentioned that 1st one many years ago. (anyone smart checks f/a, and then % owned, then last 14 days avg)

lazy to just check the homepage last couple transactions

might work in free leagues

52 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Figured I'd contribute a few tidbits of the more esoteric advice I've cobbled together over the years (I'm about a decade removed from the days when I actually blogged for a fairly popular fantasy baseball site).  Nothing even close to earth shattering, may make a few percentage points difference at the end of the year. Every little bit helps.

Yahoo's "Trading Block"

Let's say an owner drops someone you want, but you don't have the best waiver pick. Or maybe you're hoping the player slides through waivers. Now's a good time to head over to your trading block and make some changes. Switch up the positions listed, maybe re-evaluate your category "wants." Heck, do it a few times. That player you want is now off the Yahoo "roster move" listing on the main page. Sure, people can check to see earlier transactions, but maybe they won't.

West Coast bench

Bench utility players that usually play in the Pacific Time Zone are substantially more useful then their East Coast brethren. Why? Because you can sit and wait to see if games are postponed/delayed or if a player unexpectedly takes a day off and still insert replacements into your lineup. East coast swiss-army-knife players are significantly less useful as bench guys, as most of the time they've already played when the NL/AL West teams announce their starters.  In deep leagues this can have a profound affect on your ability to field a full roster every day (think of "games played" is a hidden sixth category for batters). If you don't strive to get 162 games from each position (obviously, without hurting your batting average if at all possible) at the end of the year you might be losing basically an entire player or so from your stat sheet when you add up all the lost games.

Early morning shuffling

It's a bit of a pain, but in leagues with daily roster moves, always insert at your UTIL, MI, and CI slots the players with the later games. If you're too lazy to do that, at least structure your lineup so the western-most players are in your CI/MI/UTIL slots. You can stick all kinds of players in these slots, but not if someone already played that morning. How many times have you tried to rejigger your lineup, only to be hamstrung by positions already being locked down? 

Extra, extra innings

If a team played multiple extra innings and burned their entire bullpen the night before, always bench non-premier starters the next day. Even if they play well initially, they're likely to be left in too long due to depleted bullpens. Even worse, if they're playing badly, they end up taking one for the team.

Non-starting starters

I admit, I'm often too slothful to do this, but never leave starters in your starting lineup on days they aren't pitching.  The only reason they'd come into the game is if it's going really, really long, or if someone gets hurt/scratched .. in which case they end up taking the field under less than ideal circumstances. This is particularly true for pitchers that you were were just planning on streaming or spot starting (at home, bad opponents, etc.). You don't want these guys unexpectedly being thrown into a relief role.

These are good. Love the first one as a hack. And the next two are just solid practice that teaches you that how you put the lineup in can have a huge aggregate impact on your team. Maybe you get one more RBI, or one more K and take the category for the weekly win in H2H, you never know how that will benefit you in September. And yeah, I've been a West Coast heavy bench team for the past few years, at least you got a chance to get some stats when the east coast or midwest starter doesn't play.

Just a great post. These little details can be the difference between a playoff spot, or maybe a 1st round bye, a tiebreaker and possibly an in the money finish.  Some say fantasy baseball is luck, but I know it's much more skill than some would like to believe. 

Edited by CardiacDO
  • Like 1

The yahoo trade block thing is hilariously genius.

i use to play with a guy in a salary league who would make offers for guys with bad to questionable contracts before the keeper deadline.  He’d make the offers intentionally bad so he wouldn’t get the player (or if he did it would matter), but this would plant the seed in an owners head that maybe someone else like this guy and he’s worth keeping.  Sure enough this worked a few times a year and sucked more $$ out of the auction. 

• Like 2

Another tidbit for Yahoo. If you know a guy is coming off DL that day, and said player is not someone you want to start right away and you want some guys on waivers. Make sure you put your claims in before the DL is removed from the player. This way the claims will go through rather than having to drop a player after the DL tag is removed.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Overlord said:

Figured I'd contribute a few tidbits of the more esoteric advice I've cobbled together over the years (I'm about a decade removed from the days when I actually blogged for a fairly popular fantasy baseball site).  Nothing even close to earth shattering, may make a few percentage points difference at the end of the year. Every little bit helps.

Yahoo's "Trading Block"

Let's say an owner drops someone you want, but you don't have the best waiver pick. Or maybe you're hoping the player slides through waivers. Now's a good time to head over to your trading block and make some changes. Switch up the positions listed, maybe re-evaluate your category "wants." Heck, do it a few times. That player you want is now off the Yahoo "roster move" listing on the main page. Sure, people can check to see earlier transactions, but maybe they won't.

West Coast bench

Bench utility players that usually play in the Pacific Time Zone are substantially more useful then their East Coast brethren. Why? Because you can sit and wait to see if games are postponed/delayed or if a player unexpectedly takes a day off and still insert replacements into your lineup. East coast swiss-army-knife players are significantly less useful as bench guys, as most of the time they've already played when the NL/AL West teams announce their starters.  In deep leagues this can have a profound affect on your ability to field a full roster every day (think of "games played" is a hidden sixth category for batters). If you don't strive to get 162 games from each position (obviously, without hurting your batting average if at all possible) at the end of the year you might be losing basically an entire player or so from your stat sheet when you add up all the lost games.

Early morning shuffling

It's a bit of a pain, but in leagues with daily roster moves, always insert at your UTIL, MI, and CI slots the players with the later games. If you're too lazy to do that, at least structure your lineup so the western-most players are in your CI/MI/UTIL slots. You can stick all kinds of players in these slots, but not if someone already played that morning. How many times have you tried to rejigger your lineup, only to be hamstrung by positions already being locked down? 

Extra, extra innings

If a team played multiple extra innings and burned their entire bullpen the night before, always bench non-premier starters the next day. Even if they play well initially, they're likely to be left in too long due to depleted bullpens. Even worse, if they're playing badly, they end up taking one for the team.

Non-starting starters

I admit, I'm often too slothful to do this, but never leave starters in your starting lineup on days they aren't pitching.  The only reason they'd come into the game is if it's going really, really long, or if someone gets hurt/scratched .. in which case they end up taking the field under less than ideal circumstances. This is particularly true for pitchers that you were were just planning on streaming or spot starting (at home, bad opponents, etc.). You don't want these guys unexpectedly being thrown into a relief role.

I got a save one time from Dan Haren and I religiously fill all my SP spots, just because of that. 😄

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

The thing that hurts the trading block maneuver now is Yahoo sends alerts on add/drops now through the app. So everyone sees them.

I cannot imagine how insanely annoying allowing Yahoo to push notifications to my phone would be.

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Overlord said:

I cannot imagine how insanely annoying allowing Yahoo to push notifications to my phone would be.

Correct that is why you turn them off after realizing how annoying they are.

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

add that to the list of trick of the trade.

first week of the season, make some many adjustments that your opponents are forced to turn off push notifications.  Be relentless.

The thing is you only get push notifications for add/drops in non-waiver periods. We use FAAB so there is not a new notification for every player added/dropped via FAAB process. And in our case no one can be picked up via Free Agency so its just the drops we get notified of.

10 hours ago, duke of queens said:

Another tidbit for Yahoo. If you know a guy is coming off DL that day, and said player is not someone you want to start right away and you want some guys on waivers. Make sure you put your claims in before the DL is removed from the player. This way the claims will go through rather than having to drop a player after the DL tag is removed.

For this I actually do something a little extra to get a free roster spot for a few days. It works with SPs.

If you know a SP is coming off the DL to start on say a Wednesday, you can put him into the lineup for Wednesday. Then go to Thursday's roster (before he is activated) and you can put him back on the DL for Thursday. So you get the start from them on Wednesday, and then a spot on your roster will be available for Thursday and you can add a streamer/RP with good ratios/hitter in a good situation for the rest of the week while the SP is back on the DL. Since that SP won't be doing anything the rest of the week anyway it gives you an additional spot that otherwise would've just been a pure bench spot.

Obviously this depends on if you actually want to start someone coming off the DL or not, but if you do then this is a cool little trick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
43 minutes ago, TheGoron86 said:

For this I actually do something a little extra to get a free roster spot for a few days. It works with SPs.

If you know a SP is coming off the DL to start on say a Wednesday, you can put him into the lineup for Wednesday. Then go to Thursday's roster (before he is activated) and you can put him back on the DL for Thursday. So you get the start from them on Wednesday, and then a spot on your roster will be available for Thursday and you can add a streamer/RP with good ratios/hitter in a good situation for the rest of the week while the SP is back on the DL. Since that SP won't be doing anything the rest of the week anyway it gives you an additional spot that otherwise would've just been a pure bench spot.

Obviously this depends on if you actually want to start someone coming off the DL or not, but if you do then this is a cool little trick.

Yes this is another one.

2 hours ago, TheGoron86 said:

This is basically exploiting a weakness in site coding to cheat the eligibility rules.  Leaguemates would rightfully be livid.

I love it and will seek to use it whenever possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

GB this commissioner feature::

"Locking a team from Posting will also stop them from editing their note in the trading block."

So it will stop BS moves like this...  This is right up there with waiver wire churning...

2 hours ago, TheGoron86 said:

This is brilliant. 

• Like 1

One tip I'll add is for those in FAAB leagues, after transactions process make sure to look at the unsuccessful bids to see which players someone wanted but bid under for. This could give insight into what they might want in a trade, especially if its a player you won on FAAB.

Just now, Sidearmer said:

One tip I'll add is for those in FAAB leagues, after transactions process make sure to look at the unsuccessful bids to see which players someone wanted but bid under for. This could give insight into what they might want in a trade, especially if its a player you won on FAAB.

It also gives info on bid trends. Managers are creatures of habit. Knowing a manager always bids $5 or $10 and they seemingly are targeting the same player. Make sure you are always at $6 or $7, or $11/12.

2 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

i do this one all the time. and i usually send out a trade to the owner that was out bid that night.

never works probably because they dont like waking up seeing in their email, " unsuccessful waiver claim for ..." then their next email is ... propose a trade (involving that player)

for those in ypro leagues or leagues that dont have set rules on trade vetos during pending trades when players get inj.

if you ever are on the end of a 2 for 1 getting 2 players never make that trade with a full roster. empty a roster spot then accept. then if any player gets inj while the trade is pending you can add a player and void the deal as you would have too many players for the trade to process.

above wasnt possible as i wasnt the one getting 2 but i have been burned by this as noone veto the deal because i was in first and ypro never got a chance to veto the deal when i was getting a season ending inj player.

Edited by colepenhagen

Always bench SPs starting at Colorado

I don't care if they are a stud, I don't care if they had a good game there last time, bench your SPs at Coors. We aren't talking about park dimensions, we are talking altitude, pitchers are literally less effective there and pitches do not move as much. The risk of blow ups is too severe.

For illustration purposes, Clayton Kershaw and Madison Bumgarner have both been longtime studs in the NL West. See their career, career road, and career Coors numbers below. No matter the temptation, just don't do it.

Clayton Kershaw

Career: 2333 IP, 2.43 ERA, 1.00 WHIP

Road: 1104 IP, 2.74 ERA, 1.04 WHIP

Coors: 140 IP, 4.44 ERA, 1.25 WHIP

Madison Bumgarner:

Career: 1887 IP, 3.20 ERA, 1.12 WHIP

Road: 954 IP, 3.63 ERA, 1.18 WHIP

Coors: 100 IP, 4.56 ERA, 1.47 WHIP

• Thanks 2